TARGETrecruit header

Graduate Structural Design Engineer

My client is an established small structural and civil engineering practice in West Yorkshire. The practice covers an interesting mix of commercial and residential work, including everything from work on listed heritage manor houses to new supermarket structures to £5 million central city commercial schemes. Structural design work is roughly 75 percent of work, with civil design being the remaining 25 percent. The vast majority of their works are located in The Midlands and the North of England. The firm has an established reputation for quality and intelligence in their designs as well as smooth running project management and creating structures that will last whilst still being commercially viable.

I am now recruiting for a graduate structural design engineer to join the practice. The works is varied and involves work across all of the practices projects. This is beginning to end, from initial site visits, through project design and calculations, site check-up and report writing. In the role you will be working on any of the projects of the practice, which could be planning the underground wastewater drainage in a residential development, designing of structures of a new free standing café or project managing the conversion of a large barn to a charity headquarters and visitor’s centre. The role would suit someone who is an all-rounder, happy managing the various projects and supporting clients, but also able to comfortably handle the maths in design and structural support calculations.

The practice provides full training in their way of working and software packages, but I need someone who has the personal qualities the practice values. Excellence in work achieved, diligence, and creative approaches to practical work are all important. In return they offer progression opportunity and full sponsorship towards chartered structural engineer status.

Work will include:

  • Producing clear and accurate calculations either with software or hand calculations.
  • Assist or carry out dimensional and structural surveys of buildings with high level of detail and speed.
  • Attend construction sites and team meetings to review the progress of projects and keep to a timely schedule.
  • Determining best construction materials, techniques and structural building systems to use in particular civil works or structures.
  • Design and structural analysis work using Autocad, Tekla Tedds and other applications from time to time.
  • 3D modelling with Tekla Structural Designer and Revit.
  • Report writing at various stages of projects as relevant.
  • Work with clients, advising, scheduling meetings and responding to queries competently and helpfully.
  • Support to director as appropriate and work with technicians and others within the practice collaboratively.
  • Travel throughout the UK, although largely within North and Midlands.

Requirements

  • Bachelors or Master’s degree in civil or structural engineering.
  • Minimum 2.2 overall grade achieved at bachelors.
  • Relocatees encouraged but you will need to move somewhere commutable within West Yorkshire.
  • Evidence of structural design projects completed either through university course or work experience.
  • Excellent written and verbal communication.
  • Strong problem solving skills and logic.
  • Thoroughness and attention to detail in both design work and writing.
  • Able to understand processes and identify better ways of working.
  • Full UK Driving licence.

Interested in joining a forward thinking practice? Please click the apply for this job button below with a cover note explaining why you are the best choice for this role.

Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!

Top