Graduate Electronics Software Engineer
My client is an established electronics business that has a reputation of over thirty years of excellence in delivering best in class instruments and services in seismology. Their products are designed to monitor, record and analyse movements and vibrations in the earth’s crust resulting from natural phenomena such as earthquakes and volcanos as well as events caused by human activity. The electronics instrumentation mainly comprises broadband seismometers and accelerometers. The physical instruments as well as the accompanying software applications are best in class and constantly evolving, including both turnkey manufacture as well as bespoke custom manufacture for specific location / project requirements, which can be in extreme environments. Examples of extreme environments where their instruments have been successfully deployed include under the Antarctic ice sheet, the world’s most active volcanos and the deepest parts of the ocean including the Mariana trench. The largest client group is large research institutions and universities around the world, but their instruments and software applications are also used by businesses in civil engineering, marine, oil and gas, nuclear, and more. Their technology is a mix of science, electronics and software and are seen as an intelligent international leader in seismology instrumentation.
I am now recruiting for two graduate electronics software engineers to join their business. The role is working within the engineering division and is focused on the development of their software and instrumentation. Their software applications are varied, and can sometimes be embedded systems, sometimes used via Windows or another operating system like Linux. Most of their applications can be accessed by mobile and there is also some android application development. The software applications are generally broke down into the core system backbone with adjoining modules, and work is often into assessment of the structure of a module build, evaluating the structures and redesigning and developing the code of that module. As their instrumentation develops there will also be work in designing brand new software modules to be a part of the application. The software applications are written in different languages but the C languages form the core framework. Generally the applications need to process high volumes of data quickly and are built for speed of assessment in mind. As well as development work there will be some testing.
Software engineering is the main focus of the role but there are other major components making up the role. Client applications often will require technical customisation to their requirements which will be done by the engineering team. You will also be doing a significant amount of electronic design work with the actual instrumentation. The majority of instrumentation is digital but a large proportion of instrumentation is analogue or at least has major analogue components. This may additionally include prototyping, testing and support of manufacturing technician teams. It is a full role, and it’s not unheard of for someone on the engineering team to step into mechanical design to create a casing that will be used for the seismometer in question.
- End to end software architecture and development in several coding languages including C++ and Java.
- Embedded software engineering.
- Development of high level GUI interfaces.
- Database development and manipulation in MySQL and SQL.
- Android application development.
- Testing and writing of test programmes.
- Electronics hardware design, prototyping and testing.
- Project coordination with other members of the engineering team.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in any engineering subject, computer science, physics or closely related.
- Electronics engineering degrees are preferred but if not then there must be some prior exposure to electronics.
- Previous experience of coding applications. This can be in any language but the C languages and Java are of particular interest.
- Exposure to both analogue and digital electronics.
- Knowledge of engineering mathematics (Laplace transforms, Fourier, Z transforms, numerical methods).
- Work experience within a manufacturing design or manufacturing environment is a plus.
Work is fact paced and the engineers in the business describe it as varied and interesting. The role is a graduate level role and there is training and good progression opportunity within the business. As you build your experience and prove your ability with successful results on smaller projects you will be given more responsibility and larger projects with more complex scope.
Interested? Please click the apply button below and send your CV and a cover note explaining your motivation to join the business.