Graduate Software Engineer
My client is a small specialist business that designs, develops and manufactures the physical electronics as well as the software applications and FPGAs for automated electronic testing tools. The automated testing tools are used in large data storage centres and facilities, testing that their power levels and other measurables indicating potential faults are in the correct parameters for operation. Their clients typically own and operate large servers both in the UK and abroad where security, reliability and speed of access are highly important for their business to run. The end clients are varied, but can be internet businesses, electronics manufacturers as well as specialist data centres and data management businesses. The capabilities of the test products are best in class and can test the properties of data storage units or servers more reliably and quickly than most other automated test methods, let alone manual tests. They are innovative in their field, being the first to develop fully functional “hot-plug testing”, which can be crucial when you are running an internet service used by millions of users but need to test. Another innovation is simultaneous multi-device testing which is very important and practical with complex systems.
I am now recruiting for a Graduate Software Engineer to join their research and development team. It’s an exciting time to join the business as they are currently in the process of developing two major new products which are expected to be launched this year. The focus of the role will be on developing their software applications including firmware. This can be anywhere within the software applications, whether developing a usable GUI in java or coding in python the modules that undertake the applications automated processing for intelligent testing. You will also assist with updates, revisions and bug fixing with existing products.
This is a practical role and we are looking for a technical person who is grounded and can make sure that their components of a project and code are built and delivered accurately and on time. In addition you will take an active role in the research and development of new products and markets as well as the development of the product roadmap.
- Development of software, firmware and scripts to control their automated test products.
- Testing, quality checking and bug fixing on software, firmware and scripts.
- GUI development, mainly done in Java.
- Development of operational software applications for business use.
- Project planning and research into new technology and it’s capability.
You must have:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, software engineering or a related course.
- Strong experience of using java with multiple successful projects, ideally including GUI development.
- Understanding of firmware, basic electronics and some experience coding in the C languages.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong attention to detail in code and functionality whilst still being able to see the bigger picture.
- Able to balance competing deadlines and manage your own time.
It would be an advantage if you have:
- Experience of .Net, Python, Perl.
- Understanding of communications interfaces such as USB, Ethernet.
- Experience writing firmware or embedded software in any type of electronics.
- Strong mathematics ability.
In return the business has strong training and development for graduates. This includes sponsorship of all graduates within the research and development team towards chartered engineer status with the IET as part of long term progression.
Interested? Please send your CV and a cover note outlining your motivation to apply after clicking the apply button below.