Trainee Quantity Surveyor
Want the chance to build a hands-on career, make a difference and work with all kinds of people, whilst gaining a really valued qualification? Ever thought about joining the homebuilding industry? Do you simply fancy earning whilst you’re learning?
We are recruiting for a Trainee Quantity Surveyor as part of our Management Trainee scheme. The scheme aims to develop talented individuals to progress to an Assistant Quantity Surveyor and eventually Quantity Surveyor over an average of 3 years.
The first year will be spent in the Business Unit to which you have been assigned where you will spend time in every business function learning the building lifecycle
You will attend a number of “Skills Camps” with other Management Trainees in your Region which focuses on developing core business and communication skills where you will also meet many of our Senior leaders
In your second year, you will start to specialise in Quantity Surveying
You will attend college or university to study a level 4 in Construction in the Built Environment for up to 2 years. This is a foundation degree and will enable you to learn the core components of the Construction Industry.
On completion of the level 4 qualification, you may have the opportunity to go on to study up to degree level in your chosen specialist role. All fully funded and supported by Taylor Wimpey
You will be assessed over the course of your Management Trainee scheme. Once you are assessed as competent you will be ready to move to an assistant role as and when a role becomes available.
Overnight stays are required occasionally for group training sessions. All expenses will be covered.
Commercial Management of Housing Projects
- Calculate all the costs on developments within the Business
- Provide a detailed cost budget and share with Site Manager at the appropriate time
Monitor and report costs
- Monitor and explain Sub Contractor cost movements
- Undertake valuations of production work completed on site at budgeted cost monthly
- Forecasting future savings and excesses on current sites through a cost to complete exercise
- Preparation of Affordable Housing valuations for submission to the employer’s agent
- Be aware of all Codes of Practice that impact on estimating, i.e. Building Regulations, NHBC requirements, HSE etc.
- Obtain an appropriate Construction Skills Certification Scheme (CSCS) Card
- Attend Pre- Start, Project Management Improvement Programme and any other relevant meeting input and maintain any computer based databases or systems
- Maths and English GCSE (Grades A*-C or 9-4) preferred
- BTEC Level 3 qualification in Construction and the Built Environment OR ‘A’ or (AS) levels e.g. Maths or Science related subject OR a recognised Advanced Apprenticeship (level 3) programme in a related discipline OR 3 year's work experience in a related industry
- Computer Literacy
- Full driving licence or working towards a licence and access to a car preferred
In order to be successful in this role you must be able to prove eligibility to work in the UK.
If you are successful at interview and the Company considers making an offer of employment, you may be asked to give your consent to the following pre-employment check[s] being undertaken by our third-party provider, Experian (or any other appropriate third-party provider that the Company chooses to engage).
The type of checks made will depend on the role in question but may include any or all of the following:
- Credit reference
The purpose of such checks will be to assess your suitability for the role. If it subsequently transpires that you have given incorrect, false or misleading information, your application will not be taken further.
Taylor Wimpey is a FTSE 100 business and one of the largest residential developers in the UK, building new homes and communities across England, Scotland and Wales.
Our vision is to become the UK’s leading residential developer for creating value and delivering quality. We build over 10,000 homes each year, from one-bedroom apartments to six-bedroom houses across the country.
Our people are passionate about the house building industry and about our customers. Culturally we pride ourselves in having a diverse work force with an opportunity to grow a career in a variety of environments. We look to develop our people in the skills and areas they are most interested in so if you are looking to join a thriving company going through an exciting period then please get in touch.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!