The British Army, as part of the Ministry of Defence, is committed to protecting your privacy. When you contact us or visit our websites, your personal information is stored securely and processed fairly as required by the Data Protection Act 2018.
- What information the Army may collect about you
- How the Army will use your information and ensure this is not shared with organisations outside the Ministry of Defence
- How long your information may be held on our systems
- Your choices regarding the personal information you provide to us
- How cookies are used on our websites and the options available to reject these
HOW WE COLLECT INFORMATION
We collect personal information when you
- Register online, request information or submit an application through our websites
- Complete a printed form, questionnaire or coupon
- Contact us by phone, post, email or text message
- Use web chat to talk to a recruiter
WHAT WE DO WITH THIS INFORMATION
We use the personal information you provide to answer your requests for information, to process your applications to join the Army, and to make improvements to our websites.
WHO WILL HAVE ACCESS TO YOUR INFORMATION
Your personal information may be handled by the companies we use as data processors to provide marketing services and process your applications. These companies must comply strictly with our privacy policies that prohibit the use of personal data for their own business purposes. We will not share your information with other organisations outside the Ministry of Defence (unless we are required to do so by law).
If you apply to join the Army, your personal data may be shared with the Navy or RAF if you also apply to join these Services.
If you agree, the information contained in targeting cookies may be shared with other websites so the advertising displayed on these sites is more relevant to you. No personal data will be shared with other websites – only IP addresses, which identify a specific computer or network device.
HOW LONG DO WE KEEP YOUR INFORMATION?
Your information will be held on our systems for as long as is necessary to answer your requests and maintain a dialogue with those individuals who remain interested in the British Army and Army careers.
If you register an interest, but do not apply to join the Army, we will keep your personal data for no more than 3 years. This period starts on the day you last made contact with the Army, and is reset each time you logon to our website or contact us to request further information.
If you apply to join the Army, but do not enter Service in the UK Armed Forces, we will keep your personal data for no more than 10 years. Any sensitive personal data will be removed after 1 year. This period only starts if and when all your applications to join the UK Armed Forces have become inactive, and is reset each time you logon to our website or contact us to request further information.
At the end of this period, we will remove your personal information from our systems or treat the data to remove any personal identifiers that could be used to identify you as an individual.
If you enter Service in the UK Armed Forces, some of your personal data will be retained for 100 years as required under the Public Record Acts.
CAN I REMOVE THE INFORMATION HELD IN MY ONLINE ACCOUNT?
- Your online account is required to manage your current applications.
- You can ask us to remove your account but we can only do this if you have no active applications to join any Service in the UK Armed Forces.
- You can ask us to delete an individual application and remove the personal data entered on your application form at any point before it is submitted.
- You may contact us to withdraw a submitted application at any time but your personal data will continue to be held on our systems (as described above).