Beam Diagnostics Engineer - Sandwich Student
The Science and Technology Facilities Council (STFC) is one of Europe’s largest research organisations. We’re trusted to support, enable and undertake pioneering projects in an amazing diversity of fields. Through world-class facilities and people, we’re driving ground-breaking advances in science, technology and Engineering.
STFC is one of nine organisations that have been brought together to create UK Research and Innovation (UKRI); a new organisation with a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
Each year we offer opportunities to undergraduate sandwich students to gain practical experience, working alongside technical experts at the forefront of scientific research. We offer an invaluable experience with exposure to world class science and technology, and the opportunity to develop working relationships that continue well after your placement has finished.
ASTeC is engaged in a number of projects requiring development of accelerator diagnostic techniques using novel electronic and optical techniques. The activities range from undertaking design studies, developing systems, designing prototypes, undertaking performance tests to installation and commissioning for final operations.
Below is a list of current and anticipated activities and you will be given a range of assignments within the scope of this list, and at various levels depending upon the progress of the projects and requirements. During 2019/20, substantial CLARA Phase 2 development and implementation work will be underway as well as a range of other opportunities within the department. You could play a key role in assisting with this work, and would additionally acquire skills and training in the following critical areas:
- development of electronics and infrastructure for non-destructive electron beam measuremen
- development/improvement of systems for optical beam imaging, and processing of image data
- development of synchronisation systems for Laser, diagnostics and electronic sub-systems
- development of analogue and digital low level RF systems
- development of micro-controller electronic systems and supporting electronics/interfaces.
Summary of Key Duties & Responsibilities
- design and development of Electronics using CAD facilities
- design and development of Mechanical systems using CAD facilities
- design and development of conventional and laser optical systems
- production and testing of designs
- analysis of experimental data
- development and implementation of operational procedures
- gain an understanding of engineering in multi-disciplinary environments.
Contacts and Communication
You will work, communicate and learn both within the ADIG, and will also liaise with other technical and science groups within the laboratory. You will keep a log book of your work and be regularly interviewed by your Year in Industry Supervisor to ensure consistency across the scheme, and that your personal development is progressed.
UK Research and Innovation is a new entity that brings together nine partners to create an independent organisation with a strong voice for research and innovation, and a vision to ensure the UK maintains its world-leading position in research and innovation.
The Science and Technology Facilities Council is a world-leading multi-disciplinary science organisation, and our goal is to deliver economic, societal, scientific and international benefits to the UK and its people – and more broadly to the world.