Software Development Graduate Scheme
Join us as a graduate and help shape your own future as well as London’s.
With a population of over 8.6 million and more than 17 million visitors every year, London is a city that’s always on the move. Transport for London (TfL) is responsible for looking after the intricate planning and everyday operation of the Capital’s transport system. Our people make sure that millions of residents, workers and visitors arrive safely at their destinations, day in, day out. Every journey matters to us. Join us on one of our graduate schemes and, as well as enjoying some exciting career opportunities, your work could also have a direct influence on the future of London and the people who live, work and visit here.
We keep the city moving. Improving and expanding London’s transport network is central to driving economic growth, jobs and housing in our city. And the work we do at TfL has a direct impact on the lives of millions – every single day.
As the integrated transport authority for London, we exist to keep London working and growing and to make life in London better. We are responsible for all public transport services in London, including the Underground, Buses, Docklands Light Railway (DLR), London Rail and Trams, River Services, Cycle Hire, and 580 km of the strategic road network. But that's not all, we are currently:
- delivering major new infrastructure such as extensions to the Northern and Metropolitan Underground lines, the Silvertown road tunnel and the Barking Riverside rail link
- improving our network, including increasing capacity at several central London stations, fitting-out the Crossrail system and stations, and numerous highway and urban realm improvements
- planning for London’s extraordinary growth, including Crossrail 2, the River Crossings Programme, smarter technology and Greenwich Power Station.
We are also using the latest technology and real-time travel information to keep London moving on a daily basis.
During the scheme you will experience working in and contributing to multiple teams who deliver custom software components or use technology to explore data sources. You will be based in a team for typically 6 months and will be working on projects ranging in size from short technology evaluations up to complete system developments which may span several years. You will be thoroughly supported by your colleagues, who will explain the context for the project, and teach you the relevant tools, processes, and best practices. You will be expected to take on your own tasks and contribute to the team’s output quickly but your work will be frequently reviewed, constructive feedback given and your progress discussed.
Example placements include:
- Developing a high-demand external ASP.NET MVC website, interfacing with internal RESTful services.
- Development of scalable Microsoft Azure services to provide data to mobile applications.
- Building out a 150-terabyte data warehouse on the Microsoft Analytics Platform to constantly innovative our processes and technologies to deliver fresh solutions.
- Developing C# .NET services which receive contactless transactions, apply complex business rules and persist results through high performance data access layers.
- Creating interfaces and visualisations to inform and shape operational and strategic decision making.
- Producing analysis on customer travel to drive and shape answers to critical business questions
- Developing models to better understand the impact of changes in the network, both policy and infrastructure changes, have on customer and the decision they make.
Technologies and tools used across the scheme include:
- C# .NET and T-SQL/SSIS
- Microsoft Analytics Platform (APS)
- ASP.NET MVC
- Web API and WCF
- Visual Studio 2015 and Team Foundation Server
- Microsoft SQL Server
- Microsoft Azure cloud computing and ML
- GIS (e.g. QGIS, ArcGIS, MapInfo)
- Agile scrum
Training and development
This scheme provides the training for Professional Scrum Developer and Professional Scrum Master assessments.
We offer a competitive starting salary of £26,000 in the first year and this could rise, depending on performance. You will also benefit from free travel on TfL’s networks with an oyster card, 75% reimbursement on the price of annual travel tickets outside the TfL network, 30 day’s annual leave and membership of the TfL pension scheme.
What you need to join
Our people have a key role to play in inspiring – and influencing – the future of London. To help us implement The Mayor’s Transport Strategy between now and 2031, we’re on the lookout for skilled, passion-driven graduates to join our dedicated team of 30,000 employees. We’re seeking bright individuals who are up for a challenge and thrive under pressure. We want great communicators and creative thinkers who embrace change and innovation and know how to put customers at the heart of everything they do.
Computer Science, Software Development, any Engineering or any BCS accredited degree, any numerate or analytical subject or able to demonstrate experience with computer systems or programming (degrees will ideally be accredited by BCS)
Our assessment process consists of the following stages:
Step 1: Application form and situational strengths test
Step 2: Online ability testing
Step 3: Video interview
Step 4: Assessment Centre
More information on our assessment process, eligibility criteria and competencies can be found on our website.
So if you’re looking to make an impact on the future of the Capital – and the lives of the people who live and work here, now’s the time to make your move.
To find out more, or to apply for your place, just visit our website and follow us on twitter.
CLOSING DATE: 31/10/2016
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!