2018 Engineering Graduate Programme - Operational Engineer
Our Networks Branch is the largest electricity distribution network owner in the UK, covering the whole of London, the East and South East of England, serving over a quarter of the UK's population.
The UK Power Networks Services directorate forms an unregulated part of the Networks business and focuses on designing, building, operating and maintaining safe, sustainable private electrical and multi-utility networks for owners of major infrastructure.
Our most significant projects are linked to the Rail, Defence and Airport sectors making us one of the largest private networks operators in the UK. To support the development of the directorate and the growth of the business the Services Sector is looking to develop its contracts capability and controls. For more information please visit http://www.ukpowernetworksservices.co.uk/
The Graduate Operational Engineer’s role is to work the Operational Delivery team to support the delivery of Construction and Maintenance requirements relating to the UK Power Networks Services owned assets and associated infrastructure under the direction of the Lead Operational Engineer.
The successful applicant will work with and support various Operational Delivery Managers, Lead Operational Engineers and other members of the Operational Delivery team in the delivery of Business objectives and future budget identification working in a safe and efficient manner whilst minimising disruption to client electricity supplies.
The job holder will contribute to the delivery of Client focused Capital works Construction projects and maintenance plans as directed by the Lead Operational Engineer as well as provide support on management of substation and cabling construction and maintenance works as required on designated Client private networks Infrastructure.
- Contribute in delivery of the Construction and Maintenance programmes for the UK Power Networks Services owned assets operating at voltages through the range 400kV to 33kV.
- Work with the Lead Operational Engineer to ensure that all programmes of work are delivered to time and budget in line with contractual commitments to time, cost and quality
- Work with Technicians and Apprentices to ensure the delivery of all engineering activities.
- Support in the management of budgets relating to the construction and maintenance delivery and meet ongoing company objectives
- As a team member work to ensure that UK Power Networks Services Company ambitions are achieved especially in the areas of Staff and Client satisfaction.
- Adherence to Client and UK Power Networks Services Operations and Procedures
- Support in operation of HV and 415LV Distribution Protection Systems.
- Support in testing and Commissioning of HV and LV Distribution System.
- Support Maintenance of the Control and Protection Systems
- Ensuring compliance with CDM and UK Power Networks Services Health and Safety policies
- Proactive support in developing site specific H,S & E procedures
- Compliance with UK Power Networks Services quality policies
- Operate and update Asset database in respect of project activities
- Work on both reactive and planned maintenance activities
- Carry out fault investigation and repairs as required and appropriate
- Contribute to modifying equipment and drawings to ensure the efficient operation of the substations
- Ensuring the compliance with the distribution safety rules during all activities.
Day to Day Duties
- Support on day-to-day construction and maintenance activities with Client / Principal Contractors, ensuring programme requirements are met.
- Obtain quotations from suppliers and raise Purchase Order request in coordination with Finance & Governance teams.
- Change Management – ensure early warning notices etc are brought to the attention of the Operational Delivery Managers, Commercial Managers and Clients.
- Provide technical support as part of the Operational Delivery team
- Identify potential project risks/opportunities (raise awareness within team / company)
- Proactively seeking continuous improvement
- Support on the delivery of maintenance and construction activities as required to meet client requirements within their area of authorisation
- Represent UKPNS when required at meetings with clients and contractors
- Ensure compliance with all H&S procedures, such as Distribution Safety Rules.
- Work collaboratively with other team members to carry out activities such as switchgear, battery and transformer maintenance, substation inspection cleaning and painting.
Knowledge, Skills, Qualifications and Experience:
- Have achieved or be on course to achieve a minimum of a 2.2 degree classification in Electrical or Electrical & Electronic Engineering or a closely related discipline.
- Demonstrable experience in a technical, analytical role in the electrical industry is advantageous but not essential.
- A proven record in delivering technical projects (e.g University of work experience projects) and demonstrable ability to transfer these skills to the electrical sector.
- Familiarity with cost-benefit analysis
- Safety qualifications (e.g. IOSH, NEBOSH) would be beneficial but not essential
- Full driving licence
- Ability to pro-actively manage workload
- Self-directed in their personal development
- Ability to make correct business decisions irrespective of personal impact and deliver negative messages when required
- Influence & Persuasion
- Information Seeking
- Communication Skills both verbal and written
- Interpersonal Skills
- Planning, organisation and time management
Year 1: The programme begins with an eight-week induction during which time you will gain an in depth insight into our business and will also receive training in additional areas such as finance, accounting and successful negotiation.
You will also attend some engineering specific courses to introduce you to the technical aspects of our industry.
Throughout your first year you will have a home base location in Aldershot or Heathrow Airport. You will divide your time during this year between your home base and shorter rotational placements in other business areas.
Year 2: In your second year, you’ll then be placed into your first supported role in the business. During this time, you will receive all of the mentoring and support you need to ensure you succeed. You will gain valuable work experience – not to mention the opportunities you need to gain the professional qualifications to become a future leader in your field.
At the end of the two years, you will then have the choice to continue working in your home base location and business area or at another location. Our graduate career progression policy will ensure that you continue to be supported in your professional development.
Over the course of the programme, you’ll be reviewed on a quarterly basis to monitor your progress and development. You will also have access to exciting opportunities such as attending external industry conferences and site visits.
If you share our values, want to play a role influencing the energy industry’s future and want to join a critical sector at a critical time of change then we believe our unique combination of classroom training, hands‐on work and real life experience as well as competitive benefits will get your career with us off to a flying start!
Health & Safety Responsibilities
Managers and supervisors carry both legal and company responsibilities for ensuring the health and safety of their employees, those under their control and those who might be affected by the work undertaken, i.e. public, visitors and employees of other organisations. This includes briefing individuals working for them and ensuring there is the necessary understanding, competence and application of requirements to work safely and without harming the environment.
Employees are responsible for ensuring they fully understand the health and safety risks involved in their work activities and their responsibility to apply the controls needed to manage those risks to acceptable levels. Similarly where work activities can have an adverse impact upon the environment, and particularly where there are legal requirements, employees are responsible for understanding those impacts and the controls they must ensure are applied.
If in doubt ask!
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!