Land & Planning Graduate Programme Residential Developments
At Wates we are proud to be a family-owned business, small enough to recognise and support great talent, yet big enough to challenge and inspire our people through amazing multi-million-pound projects. To us our industry is more than just building, it’s also a chance for us to positively impact the communities where we work and thrive.
Our Wates Residential Developments Business
The Wates Residential Developments Group (WRDG) is the Group’s investment arm focused on all aspects of the residential development market – from land, planning and development expertise to construction and delivery.
WRDG is now a business of significant scale with a current development pipeline of some 27,000 homes and around £150m of capital currently committed to a wide range of residential development investments. Looking forward into 2019 and beyond, the business has excellent foundations upon which to grow and deliver continued success, with a clear focus on further developing its expertise and capability while attracting new team members to support significant planned business growth.
You will be expected to engage in on the job training in key elements of Land & Planning, including for example Finance, Legal, Risk, Health and Safety and Project Management.
As a member of the developments team your overall responsibilities will include:
- Assisting the Projects and Land team in the appraisal, management, purchase and disposal of land in line with the Wates Developments Business Plan.
- Building knowledge and understanding of the Wates business
- Understanding budgets, forecast and business plan
- Developing an understanding of people & leadership skills, interaction and networking by attending landowner, agent, professional and local authority meetings
- Developing a basic understanding of Wates Group SHE policies and best practice relevant to Wates Developments
- Working towards becoming a subject matter expert in the field of politics, localism, and issues surrounding land & planning
Some of the specific tasks you may undertake are:
- Reviewing sites that sit within the property portfolio and identify those sites with development potential.
- Build relationships and establish regular contact with planning and other built environment professionals
- Contribute to quarterly updates of financial appraisals and the preparation of reports and forecasts to assist in the general administration of the business
- Involvement in due diligence in terms of planning, legal, technical and sales for acquisition approvals
- Provide support with different types of land deals with particular emphasis on option agreements, unconditional contracts and legal documents associated with House Building Joint Ventures (HBJV).
Our Management Trainee Programme
If you’re looking for a programme full of innovation and variety then you’re in the right place. Here are some of the core benefits our Management Trainee Programme
- We support you all the way through to Chartership
- Competitive industry pay
- We’ll rotate you around our business unit, ensuring you get a full breadth experience
- You’ll receive structured development and a combination of technical and behavioural training
- You’ll receive professional mentorship and guidance as well as great exposure to our senior leaders
What we're looking for
- Genuine interest in our Developments business
- Ability to communicate with a range of people, including customers, clients and key stakeholders
- Logical approach to problem solving
- Eager to learn with a keen eye for detail
- Candidates will be required to have a full driving license by September 2019, this will be a condition of offer
Graduate Scheme: 2:1 Degree in a related discipline (including a Grade B in Maths GCSE)