Quantity Surveying Undergraduate Year-Out programme
Our year-out placement programme offers undergraduates who are studying a construction related qualification, the opportunity to gain relevant on the job experience.
This structured programme is the first step in understanding more about the industry and application of the knowledge you’ve gained in your degree so far. You’ll be given the opportunity to gain on the job experience, technical and behavioural development.
Our Commercial teams play a vital role in the construction of our projects. As well as working closely with our production site teams to ensure a quality project is financially viable, they build relationships with our supply chain and safeguard our commercial position. Our year-out Commercial programme is an exciting opportunity to understand more about how Quantity Surveying is applied on live construction sites.
You will be expected to engage in on the job training in key elements of construction, including for example estimating, cost planning, health and safety, contracts, surveying and production.
As a member of the Commercial team your overall responsibilities will include:
- Safeguarding our contractual position relating to progress of the project, design responsibility and our legal obligations to sub-contractors regarding payments
- Providing sound contractual, commercial and financial updates to key stakeholders, including the preparation of reports
- Developing good relationships with our clients, designers, sub-contractors and suppliers through dealing fairly and professionally in all financial and contractual matters
Some of the specific tasks you may undertake are:
- Assisting the Site and Project Surveyors in the preparation of internal/external valuations, measurements/take offs, payment notices and final account notices
- Developing a basic awareness of the sub contract procurement process.
- Assisting the project team with measurement and valuation
- Administrating contract records and preparing sub contract and material orders
- Assisting the project team in the preparation of tender reconciliations
All you need is a passion to develop your career in the built environment, be studying towards your degree quantity surveying and on track to receive a 2:1 grade.
If successful, you may be eligible to join our graduate programme on completion of your degree.
We recruit on a first come first serve basis. This means the earlier you submit your application the more chance you have of securing a position on one of our programmes.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!