"Punches above its weight."
- Colleagues are friendly, intelligent and happy to help others to develop.
- Trainees are given good levels of responsibility from the outset.
- Offices are open-plan, meaning trainees get the opportunity to sit alongside (and learn from) partners and senior lawyers.
- Trainees have contact with clients on a regular basis.
- Trainee salaries are not particularly high when compared to other firms nationally.
- Communication around seat changes could be clearer with more notice given.
- There is not a lot of pro bono work organised by the firm.
- The level of feedback and informal training can vary between departments.
What insiders say about...
"I completed an application form and CV, then received an invitation to the assessment..."
"Good culture on the whole with the majority of supervisors being friendly and down..."
"The firm invests a lot of time and money into our training. We have had training..."
"Senior solicitors are very accessible. There is also a good appraisal programme in..."
"The Exeter office has great facilities including a free on-site gym, canteen and..."
"I have after-work sporting commitments a couple of days a week and I have never had..."
"I think that my salary is quite good for the South West, it rises in the second year..."
"You get an additional day off on your birthday."
"The Assessment Centre for the training contract was the friendliest I attended. The..."
"I had questions requiring me to call on examples of when I had demonstrated particular..."
"We have our own beehives and bat boxes!"
"As a regional firm, there is limited opportunity to employ a diverse ethnic spread...."
"I have been given a good level of responsibility, from drafting complex commercial..."
"Ashfords does not have a specific programme of pro bono work, but does regularly..."
"Ashfords has a very friendly atmosphere. The offices are open-plan and so trainees..."
"Sometimes there is a heavy workload."
"Having grown up in the South West and studied at Bristol University, I was always..."
"The firm is expanding which is very encouraging. All trainees qualifying this year..."
"The cafe at the Exeter office has THE best brownies in the world."
"A friendly and fun firm with an exciting future ahead."
"I would say Ashfords is less bothered about an applicant's background than what that..."
"Better training staggered through the training contract and better communication..."