"Forward-thinking and modern."
- Colleagues are friendly, intelligent and happy to help others to develop.
- Trainees are given good levels of responsibility from the outset.
- Offices are open-plan, meaning trainees get the opportunity to sit alongside (and learn from) partners and senior lawyers.
- Trainees have contact with clients on a regular basis.
- Seat options can be limited in some offices.
- Communication around seat changes could be clearer with more notice given.
- There is not a lot of pro bono work organised by the firm.
- The level of feedback and informal training can vary between departments.
What insiders say about...
"Applicants should have a genuine interest in the South West office and local economies...."
"The culture is very inclusive. There is no hierarchy so it easy to approach partners..."
"Your development is very much down to you, but the firm provides regular training..."
"Some are more accessible than others but generally, if caught at the right time,..."
"The Exeter office is very modern with lots of facilities, such as a free on-site..."
"Generally I am in work for about 8.45 am and leave at about 6.30 pm. Again, your..."
"The salary is good compared to some South West firms. There are opportunities for..."
"We get free tickets to social events in which Ashfords are involved. Devon & Somerset..."
"I attended an assessment centre which included a written exercise, group negotiation,..."
"I had questions requiring me to call on examples of when I had demonstrated particular..."
"The firms CSR group does have green initiatives, eg office plants and a cycle to..."
"The office is very female-heavy, although a large majority of the partners are male...."
"My first seat was largely admin-based. However, in my second seat I have had the..."
"The firm has recently set up the Ashfords Foundation, which supports smaller charities..."
"There is a very friendly atmosphere, which is supportive and encourages initiative...."
"The location of the Exeter office. While the location is handy for business travel..."
"I wanted a regional firm and I was impressed by the number of different departments..."
"They vary year to year, but I get the feeling that the firm wants to retain its trainees...."
"When new staff transfer from other local firms, they always comment on how open and..."
"A leading law firm with great opportunities"
"I would say Ashfords is less bothered about an applicant's background than what that..."
"Increased transparency of the seat move process and more choice about the seats you..."