"Friendly, understated, excellent."
- Trainees have genuine responsibility, receive good contact with clients and are actively involved in the firm's work.
- The general ethos and culture of the firm are very collaborative and friendly and socialising is encouraged.
- The retention rate for trainees has historically been high.
- There are many initiatives and incentives in place to help the firm be environmentally friendly with a low carbon footprint.
- Some trainees feel their pay is not as competitive as it used to be.
- There isn’t as much transparency around seat allocations as many trainees would like.
- More secondment opportunities would be appreciated.
- The firm has an evident commitment to diversity but this area still needs improvement.
What insiders say about...
"Research the firm thoroughly and understand what it does and where it is going. Understand..."
"The firm is very supportive and tries to be transparent about the structure and hierarchy..."
"There's excellent structured training but it's also flexible depending on your needs...."
"Feedback does vary dramatically between people and I have had a variety of experiences...."
"We moved into a new, eco-friendly office three years ago. The offices and facilities..."
"It depends on the department but I would say that, on average, I work from 9.00 am..."
"Bonuses could be more generous but basic pay is very good."
"We get subsidised cinema and theatre tickets. There is also a cake trolley."
"I had to complete an application form, and was then invited for an assessment day...."
"If you weren't a lawyer, what would you do? What other firms have you applied to?..."
"The environment is of high importance to the firm. They sponsor many green initiatives..."
"In terms of fee earners, there's not an extremely diverse range of ethnicities. Having..."
"As trainees we are very much involved in deals and given a great deal of exposure..."
"The firm is very committed to pro bono and charity work, giving all employees two..."
"Support, guidance and responsibility are excellent. You're a part of the team from..."
"The lack of secondment opportunities."
"I applied for the vacation scheme as I liked the variety of work, six-seat training..."
"Retention is usually between 80-100%."
"The paper is not pink because of the name Burges Salmon. The paper came first."
"Top quality, interesting and friendly."
"We run a number of initiatives, such as access to law, and try and play as large..."
"The firm could introduce a better formal training programme with a more joined-up..."