"Friendly, dynamic and collaborative."
- Trainees have genuine responsibility, receive good contact with clients and are actively involved in the firm's work.
- The general ethos and culture of the firm are very collaborative and friendly and socialising is encouraged.
- The retention rate for trainees has historically been high.
- There are many initiatives and incentives in place to help the firm be environmentally friendly with a low carbon footprint.
- Some trainees feel their pay is not as competitive as it used to be.
- There isn’t as much transparency around seat allocations as many trainees would like.
- More secondment opportunities would be appreciated.
- The firm has an evident commitment to diversity but this area still needs improvement.
What insiders say about...
"We have an assessment centre with some tests and an interview and then hold a vacation..."
"Generally the culture is friendly both in the office and out; there is a strong team..."
"We have regular training sessions including firm-wide (eg annual contract law update)..."
"Everyone is very accessible and you generally get good recognition for your work,..."
"The firm's offices are new (within the last three or so years) and are fantastic...."
"This is very dependent on the department but I would say it's quite good on the whole!..."
"The pay on offer at Burges Salmon is very good for a firm based outside of London...."
"Excellent cake. There is even a cake trolley that brings cake to each floor on a..."
"Hard to say how easy or difficult it is! There is an application form, which is long..."
"If you weren't a lawyer, what would you do? What other firms have you applied to?..."
"A lot goes on behind the scenes including using rainwater for internal plumbing and..."
"I think that there are certainly efforts to be diverse. There are fewer female partners..."
"The work can be very rewarding. You are definitely given responsibility straight..."
"The firm is very committed to pro bono work and always has a variety of projects..."
"You are given a lot of responsibility as a trainee, but you are very well supervised,..."
"Use of trainees can vary from department to department. You get more responsibility..."
"I was based in Bristol and the firm had a great reputation for good work and a decent..."
"Retention rates are excellent, and they have already told us... so that makes me..."
"There's a wine bar downstairs."
"Supportive, ambitious, collegiate."
"We run a number of initiatives, such as access to law, and try and play as large..."
"There could be more consistency of approach to training across departments."