"Collegiate, thoughtful and bright."
- There’s a collegiate and supportive culture within the firm.
- Regular training seminars ensure that trainees are constantly developing as lawyers.
- High-quality work is offered to trainees from early in their contract.
- The firm has a strong focus on diversity and inclusion in many forms.
- Working hours can be tough and, at times, quite unpredictable.
- There isn’t a lot of formal training in some departments.
- The distribution of workloads can be imbalanced.
- Some trainees feel that the salary is slightly dropping behind competitors.
What insiders say about...
"My best interview advice for applying here is to research the firm."
"Senior associates and partners are generally very accessible and happy to discuss..."
"Training is far more on-the-job than formal."
"We have three mentors. A trainee mentor (third seat), an associate mentor (normally..."
"The new office is a joy to work in, is extremely light and modern and I have no complaints...."
"The firm will expect you to work when there's work, but there is no face-time culture..."
"I believe it's higher than the average in the City, which I guess reflects the high..."
"Taxis, meals if working late, good pension contributions, great gym membership!"
"I had to attend two interviews (back to back), one with HR and one with two associates...."
"I was asked numerous technical, contractual and competition, and business questions...."
"The firm recycles rainwater and promotes climate awareness days and events."
"The firms is diverse at the junior end but this is reduced the higher you go."
"Trainees are given a high level of responsibility and are regularly dealing directly..."
"Pro bono range is improving. I have taught Citizenship in Schools, participated in..."
"We are given lots of responsibility early on, but there's fantastic support from..."
"The hours can be long due to the international nature of our work."
"I wanted to work at a place that was intellectually challenging, and thus Cleary..."
"The retention rates are very good at the firm, and I think we continue to retain..."
"We're non-departmentalised and many associates practice more than one area of law...."
"Hard-working, creative and friendly."
"Cleary Gottlieb recruits from a wide range of law schools and colleges across the..."
"All jobs in the legal sector can be stressful, I would imagine. Stress at Cleary..."
"I think that the firm could have a more transparent process for seat allocations...."