"CMS is innovative, active and friendly."
- International expansion at the firm means that there are various opportunities for overseas placements.
- The work on offer is top quality and has a broad scope. Trainees feel supported while undertaking it.
- Social elements of the firm are strong with regular socialising both between teams and firm-wide.
- Efforts towards diversity are notable – especially in terms of networks for women and LGBT staff members.
- The high level of responsibility on offer can cause some trainees to feel under pressure.
- There are unavoidable long hours in some departments, though the firm is flexible with them.
- While most of the firm's offices have recently been updated, some are still undergoing this.
- Retention rates have fallen since the firm's latest merger. These should hopefully pick up soon.
What insiders say about...
"You should do plenty of research and be aware of topical current affairs."
"The firm has incredibly friendly and approachable lawyers. It's less hierarchical..."
"I think the level of training is good across the firm. I haven't heard of any bad..."
"Mentors always seem happy to take your questions. The firm has also set up a scheme..."
"The offices are currently average but as of early 2015, the firm will be moving to..."
"The firm is flexible with hours if I have an appointment or event that is important...."
"Salaries are now the best in Scotland - a real market changer and other firms are..."
"Perks of working at CMS are various: a gym subsidy, lunch subsidy for trainees, a..."
"Verbal reasoning assessment test - must reach pass mark. Interview for vacation scheme..."
"I was asked questions to highlight my skill set: teamwork, leading a project, when..."
"I understand the new office helps a lot with green initiatives. Recycling bins are..."
"Our firm seems to put a lot of emphasis on women's and LGBT issues."
"We have a new scheme which aims to recognise and reward performance. I believe if..."
"Depends on seat/supervisor and there are always the standard trainee tasks of proofreading..."
"I have worked at Islington Law Centre as a volunteer, and helped a primary school..."
"The level of responsibility that we get to manage our own files and the opportunities..."
"The IT systems can be a bit clunky at times."
"Reputation, challenging environment, career possibilities, training systems in place..."
"The retention rates have been quite poor in the last few years, but have not been..."
"All overseas secondments come with free, excellent accommodation! Money saver!"
"Personable, innovative, client-focused."
"We are asked about our background during the recruitment process. I think that there..."
"I never feel like I'm left on my own/can't talk to anyone if my work is piling up,..."
"More clarity on seat selections and qualifying seats."