"International, friendly, corporate."
- International expansion at the firm means that there are various opportunities for overseas placements.
- The work on offer is top quality and has a broad scope. Trainees feel supported while undertaking it.
- Social elements of the firm are strong with regular socialising both between teams and firm-wide.
- Efforts towards diversity are notable – especially in terms of networks for women and LGBT staff members.
- The high level of responsibility on offer can cause some trainees to feel under pressure.
- There are unavoidable long hours in some departments, though the firm is flexible with them.
- While most of the firm's offices have recently been updated, some are still undergoing this.
- Retention rates have fallen since the firm's latest merger. These should hopefully pick up soon.
What insiders say about...
"Know why you want to apply for CMS over another firm. Be happy, enthusiastic, ask..."
"The hierarchy is quite flat in general, which has been helped by the recent transition..."
"Full corporate training programme specifically for the Corporate trainees which consisted..."
"Partners and senior lawyers are accessible and there is a formal mentoring scheme...."
"The offices are currently average but as of early 2015, the firm will be moving to..."
"Working hours depend on the department. Luckily, if you've finished all your work..."
"Salaries have barely increased for trainees in the last four years. We should be..."
"Sporting opportunities, taxis, pensions, secondments, free dinners, on-site physio..."
"Challenging questions about CV and reasons for applying to the firm. Business and..."
"Questions included: name a time you faced adversity. Tell me about a time you worked..."
"We recycle paper and have printing that reduces the amount we use. We try to use..."
"Diversity gets a lot of press at the firm and the senior partner very much encourages..."
"We have a new scheme which aims to recognise and reward performance. I believe if..."
"The level of responsibility varies a lot from department to department. In my first..."
"I have worked at Islington Law Centre as a volunteer, and helped a primary school..."
"The secondment opportunities. You are guaranteed a client or an overseas secondment..."
"Occasional long hours and stress from pressure."
"The size and culture of the firm, as well as the variety of practice areas/clients..."
"Retention rates have not been very good. This means that there is uncertainty as..."
"We were the first international law firm to open an office in Iran after the sanctions..."
"There are many great initiatives to promote pathways into the law from less privileged..."
"Always someone there for help/support."
"Better provision to work from home would be ideal."