"CMS is friendly, international and aspirational."
- International expansion at the firm means that there are various opportunities for overseas placements.
- The work on offer is top quality and has a broad scope. Trainees feel supported while undertaking it.
- Social elements of the firm are strong with regular socialising both between teams and firm-wide.
- Efforts towards diversity are notable – especially in terms of networks for women and LGBT staff members.
- The high level of responsibility on offer can cause some trainees to feel under pressure.
- There are unavoidable long hours in some departments, though the firm is flexible with them.
- While most of the firm's offices have recently been updated, some are still undergoing this.
- Retention rates have fallen since the firm's latest merger. These should hopefully pick up soon.
What insiders say about...
"The assessment day involves an interview and a commercial awareness test. In the..."
"In my opinion, there's very little hierarchy in Scotland, with partners being just..."
"There's the usual professional skills course training held throughout your training..."
"Better than the formal training in my opinion. They do teach good soft skills."
"The new offices at Cannon Place seem really nice. The location is great as it is..."
"It varies by department and there is no concept of 'face-time' here but the nature..."
"The firm had their first firm-wide bonus for seven years paid last month (five percent)..."
"Tickets to the theatre as a gift from the partner in one of the departments to the..."
"Full day assessment centre, which is tough, but at least gives a more rounded process,..."
"Why law? Why CMS? Can you see yourself in law in 20 years' time?"
"There's a full recycling bin system as well as recyclable cups."
"It's big on the agenda. There are lots of networks and you are encouraged by senior..."
"We have a new scheme which aims to recognise and reward performance. I believe if..."
"Responsibilities: initial drafting of documents, proofreading, drafting ancillaries,..."
"The firm emphasises pro bono work and there is a fairly good range of projects available..."
"The firm's international ambition and drive, plus the D&W merger means we have a..."
"The firm's insistence upon everyone completing a banking/corporate seat regardless..."
"I initially joined D&W as it was the best firm in Scotland. Now with the merger,..."
"Scottish trainee retention is generally very good and statistically there shouldn't..."
"Dress down Friday once a month, which is generous for the legal sector."
"Friendly, growing, diverse."
"We are asked about our background during the recruitment process. I think that there..."
"I never feel like I'm left on my own/can't talk to anyone if my work is piling up,..."
"Personally I believe that there should be more transparency over some seat/secondment..."