"An international firm with the feeling of being close and connected...."
- International expansion at the firm means that there are various opportunities for overseas placements.
- The work on offer is top quality and has a broad scope. Trainees feel supported while undertaking it.
- Social elements of the firm are strong with regular socialising both between teams and firm-wide.
- Efforts towards diversity are notable – especially in terms of networks for women and LGBT staff members.
- The high level of responsibility on offer can cause some trainees to feel under pressure.
- There are unavoidable long hours in some departments, though the firm is flexible with them.
- While most of the firm's offices have recently been updated, some are still undergoing this.
- Retention rates have fallen since the firm's latest merger. These should hopefully pick up soon.
What insiders say about...
"Be ambitious and enthusiastic. Have a 'can-do' attitude!"
"In the office, the culture is relatively open and there are approachable partners...."
"Very structured training in the London office, with both general trainee training..."
"Each trainee gets assigned a mentor and this has been very helpful for me as I can..."
"The offices have excellent locations, and are very central and close to amenities...."
"My work hours have been around 9.00 am – 5.30 pm. Some days, I have come in early..."
"The firm had their first firm-wide bonus for seven years paid last month (five percent)..."
"There's a good pension plan, a subsidised gym and dental care, which are nice bonuses...."
"Challenging questions about CV and reasons for applying to the firm. Business and..."
"I was asked a range of questions about my application and the usual questions about..."
"I was involved with 'green leases' in the Property department. We also recycle and..."
"Great focus on LGBT. There are various societies including Hindu Network, Women's..."
"We have a new scheme which aims to recognise and reward performance. I believe if..."
"In my role I assist the fee earners in the completion of various tasks such as drafting..."
"The simplest way to describe the firm's commitment is to say that each fee earner..."
"Friendly colleagues, good quality work and a nice atmosphere."
"We sometimes lose the best work to Magic Circle firms, which is disheartening."
"CMS offers a guaranteed secondment, and displays consistent strength across its practice..."
"Scottish trainee retention is generally very good and statistically there shouldn't..."
"All overseas secondments come with free, excellent accommodation! Money saver!"
"Bursary Scheme for the less financially fortunate, and other corporate social responsibility..."
"Always someone there for help/support."
"More consistency with the level of work."