"A busy and forward-thinking law firm."
- International expansion at the firm means that there are various opportunities for overseas placements.
- The work on offer is top quality and has a broad scope. Trainees feel supported while undertaking it.
- Social elements of the firm are strong with regular socialising both between teams and firm-wide.
- Efforts towards diversity are notable – especially in terms of networks for women and LGBT staff members.
- The high level of responsibility on offer can cause some trainees to feel under pressure.
- There are unavoidable long hours in some departments, though the firm is flexible with them.
- While most of the firm's offices have recently been updated, some are still undergoing this.
- Retention rates have fallen since the firm's latest merger. These should hopefully pick up soon.
What insiders say about...
"After the written application, the firm has a single assessment day where candidates..."
"As with all large law firms, there are unpredictable working hours in a lot of departments...."
"Legal training sessions are well organised, frequent and often compulsory. Attendance..."
"Senior fee earners are very accessible and there is a strong appraiser and buddy..."
"Good location and space. It's a little tired but is being refreshed next month. There's..."
"Hours are generally flexible. If you need to get away for a certain reason that is..."
"I think we're getting a decent deal for the hours worked. Trainee pay is roughly..."
"50% gym subsidy salary uplift if required to move from Glasgow to Edinburgh office..."
"Full day assessment centre, which is tough, but at least gives a more rounded process,..."
"There were lots of questions about me - my interests, subjects I had studied, my..."
"I think that the new offices and technology have helped in terms of reducing the..."
"There are many diversity groups for women, LGBT, minorities, etc."
"We have a new scheme which aims to recognise and reward performance. I believe if..."
"I'm satisfied. As I am the sole trainee in my team, the fee earners probably rely..."
"There is a great deal of pro bono work, both legal and non-legal, available."
"People are very friendly and approachable. There are a lot of opportunities to get..."
"There's quite a low retention rate."
"Blue-chip clients and friendly atmosphere. Amazing secondment opportunities."
"Retention rates are currently poor. Whether they pick up is likely to depend on market..."
"All trainees are guaranteed a secondment to either an international CMS office or..."
"Personable, innovative, client-focused."
"There are many great initiatives to promote pathways into the law from less privileged..."
"Up and down depending on the workload/deal."
"I think that the way trainees have work allocated to them in big departments could..."