"International, friendly and with opportunities to grow."
- International expansion at the firm means that there are various opportunities for overseas placements.
- The work on offer is top quality and has a broad scope. Trainees feel supported while undertaking it.
- Social elements of the firm are strong with regular socialising both between teams and firm-wide.
- Efforts towards diversity are notable – especially in terms of networks for women and LGBT staff members.
- The high level of responsibility on offer can cause some trainees to feel under pressure.
- There are unavoidable long hours in some departments, though the firm is flexible with them.
- While most of the firm's offices have recently been updated, some are still undergoing this.
- Retention rates have fallen since the firm's latest merger. These should hopefully pick up soon.
What insiders say about...
"You should research the firm, know what is happening in the business world and how..."
"The culture here is friendly and active with strong teamwork and support. There is..."
"The first two weeks consists of an intensive induction and a fast-track through some..."
"All my supervisors have been incredibly supportive. They have tracked my progress..."
"The current office is very shabby - but the rating will soon change as we move to..."
"There is flexibility to a degree but, particularly in transactional seats, there..."
"I am satisfied with the trainee pay but aware that the new qualifier pay scale is..."
"Season loan train tickets, trip to Serbia to play in a CMS football tournament and..."
"An application form, a verbal reasoning test, a competency based interview, a presentation,..."
"I got asked about things that were on my CV such as: I see you were the captain of..."
"A few initiatives such as asking individuals to give up their bins in favour of central..."
"Diversity seems to be championed within CMS regularly and I think it is great that..."
"We have a new scheme which aims to recognise and reward performance. I believe if..."
"The work in corporate would score very highly: yes, there are the odd secretarial..."
"There are lots of pro bono opportunities and you can take part on an ad hoc basis..."
"People are very friendly and approachable. There are a lot of opportunities to get..."
"Occasionally, there is some lack of communication between different areas of the..."
"The firm offer international opportunities and work and have strength in Europe and..."
"Overall, the retention rate is good. It just depends on what area you want to specialise..."
"CMS was one of the first firms to introduce the sector model to get cross practice..."
"Friendly, competent, international."
"There are many great initiatives to promote pathways into the law from less privileged..."
"Up and down depending on the workload/deal."
"I think the firm should introduce short-term placements in a foreign office for those..."