"Innovative, committed and supportive."
- International expansion at the firm means that there are various opportunities for overseas placements.
- The work on offer is top quality and has a broad scope. Trainees feel supported while undertaking it.
- Social elements of the firm are strong with regular socialising both between teams and firm-wide.
- Efforts towards diversity are notable – especially in terms of networks for women and LGBT staff members.
- The high level of responsibility on offer can cause some trainees to feel under pressure.
- There are unavoidable long hours in some departments, though the firm is flexible with them.
- While most of the firm's offices have recently been updated, some are still undergoing this.
- Retention rates have fallen since the firm's latest merger. These should hopefully pick up soon.
What insiders say about...
"CMS look for people with personality and that 'fit'. I recommend working in the firm..."
"The culture varies so much between teams. In general everyone is extremely hard working..."
"The first two weeks consists of an intensive induction and a fast-track through some..."
"Thanks to the open-plan office, everyone is very accessible. Additionally, further..."
"I love the location of the offices with Smithfield, Farringdon and St Paul's on the..."
"Hours are generally flexible. If you need to get away for a certain reason that is..."
"Trainees are not eligible for the bonus scheme - the incentive is that you want to..."
"We have a lot of social events with a good deal of free drinks and free food to take..."
"Challenging questions about CV and reasons for applying to the firm. Business and..."
"Questions included: name a time you faced adversity. Tell me about a time you worked..."
"Since moving office, our carbon footprint has decreased dramatically."
"Forward-thinking and City-leading. Very strong women's and diversity networks."
"We have a new scheme which aims to recognise and reward performance. I believe if..."
"Client interaction does depend on the department. Some departments lend themselves..."
"There are a variety of pro bono opportunities at the firm, which all staff are encouraged..."
"The secondment opportunities. You are guaranteed a client or an overseas secondment..."
"At times I have worked long hours in some teams at the firm."
"The reputation and information provided by current trainees as well as the potential..."
"Retention rates have not been the best recently but this is perhaps due to the after-effects..."
"Before the 1997 merger, one half of the firm was Cameron Markby Hewitt - a named..."
"Friendly, forward-thinking, inclusive."
"There are many great initiatives to promote pathways into the law from less privileged..."
"Stress levels are high when you're new to a department as it takes a lot longer to..."
"I would like there to be more communication about the next seat that you will be..."