"Positive, reputable and diverse."
- Trainees are offered high-quality work with a wide range of responsibility.
- Supervisors provide support on a regular basis and mentors are seen as being helpful and available.
- A collegiate and open-door culture ensures that trainees are welcomed into the firm.
- Trainee retention is seen as being strong and consistent.
- Occasional long or unpredictable hours may mean that the work/life balance suffers.
- Some trainees would like to have no compulsory seats.
- Some feel that certain practices are old-fashioned, such as the lack of working from home.
- Day-to-day roles and experiences can vary greatly between departments.
What insiders say about...
"Have a genuine reason for why you want to work at Covington. It will be noticeable..."
"This varies significantly between departments. Some are very good with approachable..."
"We get regular department training sessions in corporate, dispute resolution and..."
"Solicitors and partners are very accessible, and I have had some incredible supervisors..."
"The office location is superb. The space itself could be improved, in particular..."
"I sometimes need to stay late. The hours seem similar to most London City firms and..."
"We're still competitive compared to other firms."
"The firm offers the usual benefits such as pension scheme and private medical insurance...."
"I went through an application process to get accepted on the vacations scheme. After..."
"I was asked questions about my academic and non-academic interests, my interests..."
"There are recycling boxes in our office for people to use."
"Managers are accessible but maybe are not as proactive as they could be. Feedback..."
"There is a lack of flexibility when it comes to working hours and arrangements, which..."
"This depends on the department but there are usually good prospects to move up the..."
"I have plenty of client contact both face-to-face and electronic. My role also includes..."
"Trainees get involved in as much pro bono work as they are able and willing to do...."
"Quality of work; level of responsibility; the people."
"Hours can be unpredictable, so it's hard to make plans during the week. There's a..."
"The specialist practice areas that the firm works in."
"The retention rates are extremely good. The main issue is usually with which departments..."
"The firm is headquartered in Washington DC. In the second year of their training..."
"Friendly, academic and challenging but supportive."
"High-profile clients and the prospect of exciting, challenging work with an international..."
"The firm struggles to provide a robust training programme for all lawyers, likely..."
"The firm actively encourages capable people who would contribute to the life of the..."
"Have no compulsory seats. The current compulsory seats make no sense considering..."