"Professional, collegiate and old-fashioned."
- Trainees are offered high-quality work with a wide range of responsibility.
- Supervisors provide support on a regular basis and mentors are seen as being helpful and available.
- A collegiate and open-door culture ensures that trainees are welcomed into the firm.
- Trainee retention is seen as being strong and consistent.
- Occasional long or unpredictable hours may mean that the work/life balance suffers.
- Some trainees would like to have no compulsory seats.
- Some feel that certain practices are old-fashioned, such as the lack of working from home.
- Day-to-day roles and experiences can vary greatly between departments.
What insiders say about...
"I recommend that the candidates check the latest information on the firm's website..."
"Some departments are quite sociable and host lots of events, which is great and leads..."
"We get regular presentations in the corporate group. There are not as many in other..."
"It varies based on departments. Some solicitors and partners are very helpful and..."
"Our offices are in an excellent location and have plenty of office space. Each trainee..."
"It depends on the department. I did not expect them to be as long as they are, which..."
"We get excellent remuneration."
"Pension. Taxis and dinner after hours. Dental and health insurance. Childcare vouchers...."
"I went through two rounds of interviews: the first was a generally straightforward..."
"I was asked several competency questions. Questions in the style of: "Who would you..."
"I am unsure of the firm's efforts to reduce their carbon footprint."
"Partners are very approachable and willing to provide guidance. Trainees have a formal..."
"I see many women in the firm both going on, and coming back from, maternity leave...."
"The London office is very top heavy."
"My client interaction varies from seat to seat. In my current seat I have had daily..."
"The firm is very well known for its pro bono capabilities and does a huge amount..."
"My colleagues, the quality of work and the level of responsibility."
"Personally I feel that the firm is less well-resourced than its larger counterparts;..."
"The high quality of work and training (Covington prides itself on this) and the opportunities..."
"The retention rates have so far been very good, but it is always difficult to predict..."
"London trainees visit the firm's head office in Washington DC for one week in their..."
"A unique culture and practice mix."
"I attended the vacation scheme and really enjoyed it."
"Apart from the professional skills course, the firm also offers internal training..."
"The firm actively encourages capable people who would contribute to the life of the..."
"There should be options for international secondments."