"Academic and supportive."
- Trainees are offered high-quality work with a wide range of responsibility.
- Supervisors provide support on a regular basis and mentors are seen as being helpful and available.
- A collegiate and open-door culture ensures that trainees are welcomed into the firm.
- Trainee retention is seen as being strong and consistent.
- Occasional long or unpredictable hours may mean that the work/life balance suffers.
- Some trainees would like to have no compulsory seats.
- Some feel that certain practices are old-fashioned, such as the lack of working from home.
- Day-to-day roles and experiences can vary greatly between departments.
What insiders say about...
"It's an online application followed by a first-stage interview. There is then a longer..."
"I have found the culture here to be friendly and warm in and out of the office. I..."
"We get regular presentations in the corporate group. There are not as many in other..."
"The informal training is excellent due in large part to the high quality of lawyers..."
"Although there is not much on the side of facilities, the location is great. There..."
"The workload varies but generally my hours are 9.00 am – 6.00 pm."
"The pay at Covington is very generous."
"The possibility of tickets to football and horse racing are ideal as far as I'm concerned,..."
"The application process is extremely competitive. You need top class academics and..."
"There were general questions regarding my achievements and positions of responsibility..."
"I am unsure of most of what the firm does in this area, which probably says something..."
"Partners are very approachable and willing to provide guidance. Trainees have a formal..."
"The firm's women's forum meets regularly and throws events. As a female, I feel that..."
"The London office is very top heavy."
"My work is a mixture of administrative tasks (such as bundling), legal research,..."
"We have lots of pro bono initiatives and are encouraged to suggest new ones too...."
"I get to do really interesting work with friendly and bright colleagues. The work..."
"The firm's IT systems and working practices are a bit outdated."
"The strong life sciences practice and the fact that it's a smaller firm so you can..."
"Generally trainee retention is very good. Being a small firm, there are only usually..."
"Eric Holder (the former US attorney general under President Obama) works here."
"Aims for perfection, client focused, sticklers for high standards of legal writing,..."
"Small trainee intake. Strong regulatory practice."
"The firm struggles to provide a robust training programme for all lawyers, likely..."
"The firm actively encourages capable people who would contribute to the life of the..."
"An on-site gym would be ideal."