"Prestigious. Academic. Rigorous. Friendly."
- Trainees are offered high-quality work with a wide range of responsibility.
- Supervisors provide support on a regular basis and mentors are seen as being helpful and available.
- A collegiate and open-door culture ensures that trainees are welcomed into the firm.
- Trainee retention is seen as being strong and consistent.
- Occasional long or unpredictable hours may mean that the work/life balance suffers.
- Some trainees would like to have no compulsory seats.
- Some feel that certain practices are old-fashioned, such as the lack of working from home.
- Day-to-day roles and experiences can vary greatly between departments.
What insiders say about...
"You have to fill in a similar application form to many other firms and attend two..."
"Everyone is extremely cooperative and there is definitely a sense of camaraderie..."
"Personally, I think that the firm could provide more formal training."
"The mentoring is very good and everyone is generally happy to answer questions, and..."
"The current London office is slightly dated, but the location is fantastic. An office..."
"Working hours do vary, but are generally long. Late evenings, weekends and bank holidays..."
"The trainee salary is pretty good, although many firms (including Magic and Silver..."
"We have a trip to Washington DC in our second year to visit the firm's headquarters...."
"The application process is extremely competitive. You need top class academics and..."
"Some questions required thinking on your feet. I was also asked situational judgement..."
"I am unsure of the firm's efforts to reduce their carbon footprint."
"Management generally reacts quickly to changes in the market/circumstances and tries..."
"There is a high percentage of female associates, but that figure falls dramatically..."
"The London office is very top heavy."
"I have a wide range of responsibilities and take ownership of projects of in my role...."
"We're one of the highest-ranked firms for pro bono hours. We have dedicated ongoing..."
"Colleagues are extremely intelligent, capable and a bit quirky (in a good way). The..."
"The work allocation is not always transparent. Some people have to work around the..."
"The unique culture, the cutting-edge sectors and clients and the work/life balance...."
"The firm usually seeks to retain everyone."
"There's a big 4th of July party and a black tie Christmas party every year."
"Incisive, thoughtful and attentive."
"Small intake, early responsibility, good remuneration and interesting practice areas...."
"Apart from the professional skills course, the firm also offers internal training..."
"The firm works with a scholars programme at Warwick University."
"There should be options for international secondments."