"Friendly, academic and challenging but supportive."
- Trainees are offered high-quality work with a wide range of responsibility.
- Supervisors provide support on a regular basis and mentors are seen as being helpful and available.
- A collegiate and open-door culture ensures that trainees are welcomed into the firm.
- Trainee retention is seen as being strong and consistent.
- Occasional long or unpredictable hours may mean that the work/life balance suffers.
- Some trainees would like to have no compulsory seats.
- Some feel that certain practices are old-fashioned, such as the lack of working from home.
- Day-to-day roles and experiences can vary greatly between departments.
What insiders say about...
"There's a vacation scheme or straight training contract application online followed..."
"The firm's culture is generally relaxed and friendly, but very intellectual. The..."
"We attend the mandatory professional skills courses but internal training is limited...."
"Mentors are usually happy to provide feedback and most people will praise your work...."
"The current London office is slightly dated, but the location is fantastic. An office..."
"As a trainee, it's not that flexible. The hours are long and you have to be prepared..."
"We are paid at the higher end of the market for trainees in London. However, I think..."
"The Northbank Privilege Card gives us discounted food and shopping in the area around..."
"I went through two rounds of interviews: the first was a generally straightforward..."
"The first-round interview was a fairly standard one regarding my application form,..."
"There are recycling boxes in our office for people to use."
"Managers are accessible but maybe are not as proactive as they could be. Feedback..."
"There is a diversity committee that has a high number of people participating and..."
"This depends on the department but there are usually good prospects to move up the..."
"I get to draft transaction documents and interact with clients – though I also..."
"The firm is very well known for its pro bono capabilities and does a huge amount..."
"It's a friendly environment with intellectually demanding work. The firm is not very..."
"There's an old-fashioned approach to policies such as working from home, although..."
"There's a very friendly and academic atmosphere. The application process felt like..."
"The firm has a very strong retention rate but everything always depends on the business..."
"We're 100 years old this year!"
"Hard, but rewarding work."
"Small trainee intake. Strong regulatory practice."
"Apart from the professional skills course, the firm also offers internal training..."
"The firm actively encourages capable people who would contribute to the life of the..."
"More flexibility in relation to working hours and the ability to work from home."