"A firm with intellectual energy, that is convivial and diligent...."
- Trainees are offered high-quality work with a wide range of responsibility.
- Supervisors provide support on a regular basis and mentors are seen as being helpful and available.
- A collegiate and open-door culture ensures that trainees are welcomed into the firm.
- Trainee retention is seen as being strong and consistent.
- Occasional long or unpredictable hours may mean that the work/life balance suffers.
- Some trainees would like to have no compulsory seats.
- Some feel that certain practices are old-fashioned, such as the lack of working from home.
- Day-to-day roles and experiences can vary greatly between departments.
What insiders say about...
"Try to understand the work of the firm and bring that out in your application. It..."
"The firm's culture is generally relaxed and friendly, but very intellectual. The..."
"We don't have much formal training. Departments tend to host know-how sessions on..."
"The firm has stellar lawyers who in my experience make great teachers and mentors...."
"We have spacious, comfortable offices. The location is fantastic - right next to..."
"Most trainees have good hours and exceptions to this are usually for short periods...."
"The firm pays what is often referred to as a 'mid-Atlantic' salary, which is not..."
"The firm offers the usual benefits such as pension scheme and private medical insurance...."
"The application process is extremely competitive. You need top class academics and..."
"Why Covington? What are your strengths and weaknesses? Tell us about a legal story..."
"We have seen some more green initiatives over the last year but there is still a..."
"Managers are accessible but maybe are not as proactive as they could be. Feedback..."
"The firm has a very strong commitment to diversity. It seeks to hire people that..."
"This depends on the department but there are usually good prospects to move up the..."
"I have plenty of client contact both face-to-face and electronic. My role also includes..."
"Trainees get involved in as much pro bono work as they are able and willing to do...."
"Collegiality at the firm is a plus."
"There can be a lack of transparency around seat rotations."
"I was encouraged to apply to the firm by the small trainee intake, quality of clients,..."
"The retention is great and most of the trainees are kept on. When you join Covington,..."
"There is a book written about the origin and history of the firm."
"Friendly and intelligent people."
"High-profile clients and the prospect of exciting, challenging work with an international..."
"May vary during departments but usually there is a sufficient amount of training..."
"The firm actively encourages capable people who would contribute to the life of the..."
"I'd have liked more practical training on the firm's systems and the types of tasks..."