"Friendly, supportive and high-achieving."
- Trainees are offered high-quality work with a wide range of responsibility.
- Supervisors provide support on a regular basis and mentors are seen as being helpful and available.
- A collegiate and open-door culture ensures that trainees are welcomed into the firm.
- Trainee retention is seen as being strong and consistent.
- Occasional long or unpredictable hours may mean that the work/life balance suffers.
- Some trainees would like to have no compulsory seats.
- Some feel that certain practices are old-fashioned, such as the lack of working from home.
- Day-to-day roles and experiences can vary greatly between departments.
What insiders say about...
"For the vacation scheme there is an application form, interview and a week-long vacation..."
"This varies significantly between departments. Some are very good with approachable..."
"I think the training programme is good. The firm pays (and gives you time off) for..."
"Virtually everyone at this firm (associates, partners, counsel) is accessible. Some..."
"Although there is not much on the side of facilities, the location is great. There..."
"The hours are not flexible and maintaining a work/life balance can be hard, though..."
"Pay is reasonable though trainees do not get bonuses."
"We receive a meal allowance for overtime and also a taxi home if you work past 9.00..."
"I went through two rounds of interviews: the first was a generally straightforward..."
"There were various questions about my CV and previous work experience. There were..."
"I am not really aware of any specific initiatives C&B have with regards to the environment...."
"Partners are very approachable and willing to provide guidance. Trainees have a formal..."
"The firm's women's forum meets regularly and throws events. As a female, I feel that..."
"This depends on the department but there are usually good prospects to move up the..."
"I've been very impressed with the quality of the clients and matters that trainees..."
"The firm has a variety of pro bono clients including charities, start-ups, NGOs and..."
"Colleagues are extremely intelligent, capable and a bit quirky (in a good way). The..."
"I think more trainees are needed to take on the work. The traditional culture means..."
"Covington & Burling is an American firm with big clients and interesting work, but..."
"The retention rates here have been high historically."
"We have a highly successful (and recently promoted) softball team!"
"Friendly, academic and challenging but supportive."
"The range and quality of training as well as the small trainee intake."
"Apart from the professional skills course, the firm also offers internal training..."
"The firm works with a scholars programme at Warwick University."
"An on-site gym would be ideal."