"A high quality and traditional firm."
- Excellent training is provided in each department that covers a wide array of topics to help develop a range of skills.
- Trainees are assigned substantial tasks and are trusted with important work for high-profile clients.
- The firm is working hard to improve diversity and reduce its environmental impact.
- Salaries are seen as being very competitive and only low compared to US firms.
- Trainees could be given more transparency when it comes to seat options.
- There can be a lot of pressure, which some trainees may find intimidating.
- Some feel that feedback could be given more frequently.
- While there is flexibility with hours, the workload can be unpredictable.
What insiders say about...
"The application process included an application form, a CV-blind interview, an in-tray..."
"Anyone who is up for socialising can generally find someone else who is too. You..."
"Training at the firm is generally very good and is considered to be very important..."
"I have a principal and a supervisor. My principal is the person who oversees my entire..."
"We are about to move into a brand new building and the firm has just introduced an..."
"Varies by department and workload. Corporate, mergers and acquisitions and banking..."
"We are paid a firm-wide bonus, which is nice. Trainees are generally paid according..."
"The perks here aren't particularly great. If you stay late you have to use the canteen..."
"There is a rigorous assessment process with an in-tray exercise, negotiation and..."
"The classics, like why Macfarlanes? I was quizzed on what I would do in different..."
"We are moving to paperless (though slower than other industries for obvious reasons)...."
"The firm is not very ethnically diverse at any level and at the top level men predominate...."
"The quality of work is generally very high. You work directly with partners in many..."
"There are a lot of smaller pro bono projects like Street Law and many solicitors..."
"The people, social activities/events, quality of work and exposure to clients are..."
"The small teams mean you can be given a lot of responsibility, which has its positives..."
"The quality of training and the focus on career progression within the firm made..."
"Retention levels are very good on the whole as there are enough jobs for everyone...."
"An interesting or little-known fact about Macfarlanes is that the firm has a desk..."
"Sharp; focused people; attention to detail; plenty of support for trainees."
"Having been brought up by a single-mother in a Welsh valley where I attended a comprehensive..."
"More flexibility over seat choices. The current system is designed much more around..."