"Friendly, inclusive and driven."
- Excellent training is provided in each department that covers a wide array of topics to help develop a range of skills.
- Trainees are assigned substantial tasks and are trusted with important work for high-profile clients.
- The firm is working hard to improve diversity and reduce its environmental impact.
- Salaries are seen as being very competitive and only low compared to US firms.
- Trainees could be given more transparency when it comes to seat options.
- There can be a lot of pressure, which some trainees may find intimidating.
- Some feel that feedback could be given more frequently.
- While there is flexibility with hours, the workload can be unpredictable.
What insiders say about...
"You should find a way to gain exposure to the firm before applying. Your application..."
"The culture here is very friendly, and social activities have increased over the..."
"You are provided with seminars at the start of every seat to help remind you of some..."
"Mentoring arrangements have generally been helpful. Day-to-day feedback is useful..."
"The dress code is smart, although the extent to which this is upheld varies between..."
"The hours are pretty flexible and there's absolutely no 'face-time' culture at Macfarlanes...."
"I think that the salary is pretty much on-par with the rest of the City law firms...."
"The best perks about working at Macfarlanes LLP are the benefits that come with the..."
"I had an assessment day consisting of interviews, group assessments and written work..."
"A lot of the standard questions: why law? Why Macfarlanes? Some specific harder ones..."
"I have no idea about the firm's efforts to reduce their carbon footprint, so personally..."
"The firm is trying very hard and making steady and visible changes."
"Generally very high but, as with all jobs, there are mundane tasks that also need..."
"We have a mentoring scheme with schools in East London which is incredibly rewarding..."
"Friendly working environment. Quality of work and level of responsibility."
"The culture varies across departments. Some departments are very friendly and accommodating,..."
"It has an exceptional reputation for training so, no matter what happens post-qualification,..."
"They're as high as they could be when you take into account that we are a small/medium-sized..."
"We have dress down all day, every day for the entirety of July and August."
"Traditional, strategic and independent."
"It has some programmes with underprivileged schools, etc."
"The transparency over seat allocation should be better."