"The firm is quality driven and is a 'safe pair of hands' for..."
- Excellent training is provided in each department that covers a wide array of topics to help develop a range of skills.
- Trainees are assigned substantial tasks and are trusted with important work for high-profile clients.
- The firm is working hard to improve diversity and reduce its environmental impact.
- Salaries are seen as being very competitive and only low compared to US firms.
- Trainees could be given more transparency when it comes to seat options.
- There can be a lot of pressure, which some trainees may find intimidating.
- Some feel that feedback could be given more frequently.
- While there is flexibility with hours, the workload can be unpredictable.
What insiders say about...
"When applying there is a group exercise, CV interview, in-tray exercise and a written..."
"It can be hierarchical but the partners are generally good sorts. Almost everyone..."
"Formal training sessions are front-loaded, with up to six weeks of lunchtime sessions..."
"I can see that informal training and mentoring are both very good: senior lawyers..."
"The location of the office is really good and easy to access etc. The firm is outgrowing..."
"My work hours are pretty long. This can be pretty tough at times. There's not an..."
"The firm pays well and trainees receive the firm-wide bonus (but are not eligible..."
"The firm will make a contribution towards any sports activity of your choice including..."
"There is a rigorous assessment process with an in-tray exercise, negotiation and..."
"Throughout the interview I was given typical questions such as why I wanted to work..."
"Although personally I am not aware of any efforts made by the firm in this regard,..."
"The firm is a long way behind other similar sized firms when it comes to diversity...."
"Sometimes I have to do mechanical documents (share certificates etc) but I have recently..."
"There are a lot of smaller pro bono projects like Street Law and many solicitors..."
"Work here is high-profile and that is definitely a benefit."
"There can sometimes be very high expectations placed on trainees."
"I didn't think there was anywhere else that would train me as well as Macfarlanes...."
"Any inability to retain new qualifiers seems to be due to too much interest in a..."
"There is a wall of mysterious objects on the second floor of one of the buildings...."
"A high quality and traditional firm."
"Having been brought up by a single-mother in a Welsh valley where I attended a comprehensive..."
"Having six four-month seats instead of four six-month seats would be an improvement...."