"Highly competent. Quietly confident."
- Excellent training is provided in each department that covers a wide array of topics to help develop a range of skills.
- Trainees are assigned substantial tasks and are trusted with important work for high-profile clients.
- The firm is working hard to improve diversity and reduce its environmental impact.
- Salaries are seen as being very competitive and only low compared to US firms.
- Trainees could be given more transparency when it comes to seat options.
- There can be a lot of pressure, which some trainees may find intimidating.
- Some feel that feedback could be given more frequently.
- While there is flexibility with hours, the workload can be unpredictable.
What insiders say about...
"Know your CV backwards and be up to date on current affairs. If there is a particular..."
"Macfarlanes has pleasant, intelligent and interesting colleagues, but I have found..."
"We have lots of formal training sessions in each seat to broadly cover the main types..."
"I have an excellent partner principal who, despite being very busy, has always made..."
"The location is perfect - in the heart of legal London. The office space is just..."
"Hours are not flexible for trainees but becomes more so as you become more senior...."
"I am happy with my pay, and the bonus structure (although I am yet to receive one)..."
"I haven't really benefited from many perks so far. The best has been the £100 vouchers..."
"The interview process consisted of a group task, a CV interview, a scenario interview..."
"I was asked about the work experience on my CV, why I was interested in Macfarlanes,..."
"Recycling of paper and ink cartridges is encouraged."
"This is increasing following the appointment of a 'corporate social responsibility..."
"As a fourth-seat trainee, I had a lot of client interaction and found myself taking..."
"The firm has a 'charity of the year' that is voted for each year by the staff. There..."
"The good people, getting responsibility at an early stage, good training, interesting..."
"The hours can be long here at times."
"I chose Macfarlanes for its great reputation, quality of work, amazing private clients..."
"Retention is excellent and is consistently 95% to 100%, which speaks volumes and..."
"Macfarlanes LLP's client office is situated on the same small street as Mr Snagsby's..."
"Macfarlanes have various outreach schemes working with local schools and offering..."
"Having six four-month seats instead of four six-month seats would be an improvement...."