"A smaller firm that packs a punch and outshines many other much..."
- Excellent training is provided in each department that covers a wide array of topics to help develop a range of skills.
- Trainees are assigned substantial tasks and are trusted with important work for high-profile clients.
- The firm is working hard to improve diversity and reduce its environmental impact.
- Salaries are seen as being very competitive and only low compared to US firms.
- Trainees could be given more transparency when it comes to seat options.
- There can be a lot of pressure, which some trainees may find intimidating.
- Some feel that feedback could be given more frequently.
- While there is flexibility with hours, the workload can be unpredictable.
What insiders say about...
"I applied through the vacation scheme. This involved answering a number of questions..."
"I remember my first late night in corporate when several senior solicitors and a..."
"Very comprehensive training is provided for both legal topics and more pastoral subjects..."
"Everyone is lovely to work with, with the very odd exception. We get formal feedback..."
"Offices are in a great location, and are spacious and comfortable. We have dress..."
"Hours can be long at times but this has not been problematic and is a necessary part..."
"It's in line with the market but not overly exciting."
"I think the exercise allowance is the best perk and the gym membership is heavily..."
"Macfarlanes does not however demand or assume a base of legal knowledge or any real..."
"I was asked standard competency questions to start with. The interviewer got through..."
"We are moving to paperless (though slower than other industries for obvious reasons)...."
"The firm hosts diversity events and initiatives designed to promote diversity within..."
"This varies hugely from department to department. However, trainees are consistently..."
"Pro bono is perhaps not as formalised as it could be, though I have had a good deal..."
"People often say the best thing about working here is that you are given real responsibility..."
"I find that the offices could use some improvement and that I work long hours, which..."
"I was fortunate enough to meet several trainees and others at recruitment events..."
"We have good retention rates. Most of the people who leave do so because they have..."
"Our big Private Client Department makes us a bit different from other corporate firms...."
"Traditional, strategic and independent."
"It has some programmes with underprivileged schools, etc."
"More transparency around seat rotations."