"Distinctive, tenacious, global."
- Excellent training is provided in each department that covers a wide array of topics to help develop a range of skills.
- Trainees are assigned substantial tasks and are trusted with important work for high-profile clients.
- The firm is working hard to improve diversity and reduce its environmental impact.
- Salaries are seen as being very competitive and only low compared to US firms.
- Trainees could be given more transparency when it comes to seat options.
- There can be a lot of pressure, which some trainees may find intimidating.
- Some feel that feedback could be given more frequently.
- While there is flexibility with hours, the workload can be unpredictable.
What insiders say about...
"Know the firm and what makes it distinctive (size, culture, quality of work etc)...."
"People work hard but there is a genuinely friendly feel about the firm and it's small..."
"There is a good programme of formal training and the organisers are really receptive..."
"My principal takes me out for lunch every couple of months. We have end-of-seat reviews..."
"Client-facing office is impressive; the firm is currently set up campus style with..."
"Although there is generally no face-time culture, the firm needs to be more accommodating..."
"I think that the firm have the balance right in terms of pay."
"Private medical insurance is offered from day one."
"After a morning of interviews I was then offered a trainee contract on the same day...."
"I was asked why I wanted to work in law, and for Macfarlanes in particular. I also..."
"Although personally I am not aware of any efforts made by the firm in this regard,..."
"The firm is working hard in this respect and is making progress, though it obviously..."
"I have found that work is generally very good. There's a nice level of responsibility,..."
"There are plenty of fundraising and volunteering projects on offer as well as a legal..."
"Responsibility, people, meritocratic, extremely good work!"
"We occasionally have problems with computers crashing; IT could be improved."
"The firm's size and reputation, and in all honesty, the application process being..."
"Any inability to retain new qualifiers seems to be due to too much interest in a..."
"An interesting or little-known fact about Macfarlanes is that the firm has a desk..."
"Solid, uncompromising, clinical."
"It has some programmes with underprivileged schools, etc."
"A little more structure would be beneficial to trainees."