"The firm is quality, self-assured and has understated excellence...."
- Excellent training is provided in each department that covers a wide array of topics to help develop a range of skills.
- Trainees are assigned substantial tasks and are trusted with important work for high-profile clients.
- The firm is working hard to improve diversity and reduce its environmental impact.
- Salaries are seen as being very competitive and only low compared to US firms.
- Trainees could be given more transparency when it comes to seat options.
- There can be a lot of pressure, which some trainees may find intimidating.
- Some feel that feedback could be given more frequently.
- While there is flexibility with hours, the workload can be unpredictable.
What insiders say about...
"Research the firm. All firms pretend to be unique, but Macfarlanes really is distinctive,..."
"Macfarlanes is a fun place to work and everyone is very supportive. The fact that..."
"There is a good programme of formal training and the organisers are really receptive..."
"You learn from listening to solicitors and partners negotiate, talk through problems..."
"The office space is nice and the facilities are good. The location is conveniently..."
"My average day is from 8:45am to 8:30pm. Hours are not monitored formally, but you..."
"Towards the higher end of City firms though dwarfed by American and magic circle..."
"The fitness allowance is good (compared with, say, an in-house gym) in that you have..."
"I had a vacation scheme interview, a two week vacation scheme and a training contract..."
"The classics, like why Macfarlanes? I was quizzed on what I would do in different..."
"Some departments work harder on this than others but initiatives are ongoing to improve..."
"The firm is working hard in this respect and is making progress, though it obviously..."
"The quality of work varies from department to department. However, if you approach..."
"A new pro bono clinic has been set up and we offer pro bono advice to our charity..."
"Level of senior involvement in training. I get great exposure to senior people and..."
"The hours are demanding."
"The truly excellent quality of work and clients combined with the more intimate size..."
"Retention rates tend to be very high. You get the feeling that, if a department is..."
"Our big Private Client Department makes us a bit different from other corporate firms...."
"High quality, forward-thinking and collaborative."
"Having been brought up by a single-mother in a Welsh valley where I attended a comprehensive..."
"The transparency over seat allocation should be better."