"Friendly, prestigious, demanding and high quality."
- Excellent training is provided in each department that covers a wide array of topics to help develop a range of skills.
- Trainees are assigned substantial tasks and are trusted with important work for high-profile clients.
- The firm is working hard to improve diversity and reduce its environmental impact.
- Salaries are seen as being very competitive and only low compared to US firms.
- Trainees could be given more transparency when it comes to seat options.
- There can be a lot of pressure, which some trainees may find intimidating.
- Some feel that feedback could be given more frequently.
- While there is flexibility with hours, the workload can be unpredictable.
What insiders say about...
"Personally, I would say that candidates should rely on their own instinct in the..."
"The firm prides itself on its non-hierarchical nature and that comes with great cooperation..."
"You are provided with seminars at the start of every seat to help remind you of some..."
"I have been lucky to have a very conscientious supervisor who has been very busy..."
"The location of the office is really good and easy to access etc. The firm is outgrowing..."
"Hours vary from department to department but they aren't bad by the standards of..."
"Towards the higher end of City firms though dwarfed by American and magic circle..."
"Fresh towels in the changing rooms is a game changer for cycling to work. There are..."
"After a morning of interviews I was then offered a trainee contract on the same day...."
"There are the typical CV-based questions, commercial awareness-style questions and..."
"Recycling of paper and ink cartridges is encouraged."
"The firm is very committed to diversity and changes are taking place. It does seem..."
"On the whole the work I get assigned is good. It's challenging and I am given a high..."
"Pro bono is sort of ad hoc, and depends on the department, and there is no separate..."
"The firm has a great reputation, high quality of work, friendly colleagues, excellent..."
"There can be competition for certain seats, which is a drawback to me."
"The range of work, the mix of top-level corporate work with an elite private-client..."
"Retention is excellent and is consistently 95% to 100%, which speaks volumes and..."
"The Macfarlanes client office stands on the same small street as Mr Snagsby's law..."
"Collegiate, friendly and hardworking."
"Macfarlanes have various outreach schemes working with local schools and offering..."
"The transparency over seat allocation should be better."