"Hardworking, focused and ambitious."
- Excellent training is provided in each department that covers a wide array of topics to help develop a range of skills.
- Trainees are assigned substantial tasks and are trusted with important work for high-profile clients.
- The firm is working hard to improve diversity and reduce its environmental impact.
- Salaries are seen as being very competitive and only low compared to US firms.
- Trainees could be given more transparency when it comes to seat options.
- There can be a lot of pressure, which some trainees may find intimidating.
- Some feel that feedback could be given more frequently.
- While there is flexibility with hours, the workload can be unpredictable.
What insiders say about...
"An application form and an assessment day which tests different skills - there is..."
"We have a very inclusive culture due to the small size of our firm. Everyone works..."
"There's lots of very good departmental training led by fee earners at all levels,..."
"As a quite traditional firm, people are sometimes quite reserved about giving feedback..."
"The firm is moving to a new building later in the year, although some of the existing..."
"The firm has recently introduced flexible working; one day every two weeks allowed..."
"The trainee salary is good and trainees receive firm-wide annual bonuses but no performance..."
"The perks here aren't particularly great. If you stay late you have to use the canteen..."
"I had a vacation scheme interview, a two week vacation scheme and a training contract..."
"Why do you want to be a lawyer in London? What does Macfarlanes offer that you couldn't..."
"In terms of reducing its carbon footprint, the firm has recycling bins."
"I think that the blind CV interviewing is a good initiative, and there were lots..."
"You tend to work in relatively small teams (often one-on-one with a partner in smaller..."
"The firm has introduced a charity day and there are lots of other initiatives. I..."
"We are given a high degree of responsibility early on, good training, a strong support..."
"Being given high levels of responsibility can be daunting."
"I chose them for their quality of training and specialism in private client."
"They've always been strong and reflect well on the value placed upon trainees and..."
"They think it is acceptable to put mustard in salmon sandwiches."
"Friendly, welcoming, traditional and ambitious."
"The firm does CV blind applications."
"More flexibility over seat choices. The current system is designed much more around..."