"Sophisticated, innovative and caring!"
- Excellent training is provided in each department that covers a wide array of topics to help develop a range of skills.
- Trainees are assigned substantial tasks and are trusted with important work for high-profile clients.
- The firm is working hard to improve diversity and reduce its environmental impact.
- Salaries are seen as being very competitive and only low compared to US firms.
- Trainees could be given more transparency when it comes to seat options.
- There can be a lot of pressure, which some trainees may find intimidating.
- Some feel that feedback could be given more frequently.
- While there is flexibility with hours, the workload can be unpredictable.
What insiders say about...
"Thoroughly research the firm and consider how it views itself relative to its peers...."
"There is a strong culture of inclusivity at the firm and a genuine open-door policy...."
"There is a detailed training programme at the start of each seat in relation to the..."
"We have multiple forms of mentoring. I have my supervisor for each seat and we also..."
"My office is a bit too clean and stark, I think it needs some artwork and colour...."
"My hours have been really good for a City firm, but I am yet to work in a corporate..."
"I think that the salary is pretty much on-par with the rest of the City law firms...."
"Free taxis are provided after 10:00pm, and there is free dinner from 7:45pm onwards...."
"There is a rigorous assessment process with an in-tray exercise, negotiation and..."
"There are the typical CV-based questions, commercial awareness-style questions and..."
"Some departments work harder on this than others but initiatives are ongoing to improve..."
"The firm is doing much more in recent years to focus on these areas. A great many..."
"My work is great; I have some typical trainee roles, but much more interaction with..."
"We have pro bono opportunities in a citizen's centre to help those who need legal..."
"Level of senior involvement in training. I get great exposure to senior people and..."
"The work allocation can be frustrating, meaning some days you are very quiet and..."
"The variety of work and the firm's reputation for the training the trainees receive...."
"Retention rates tend to be very high. You get the feeling that, if a department is..."
"We have our own street/walk through called 'Mac's Place'."
"The firm is classy and excellent."
"Macfarlanes have various outreach schemes working with local schools and offering..."
"Encourage trainees to delegate more to support staff."