"Friendly, traditional and ambitious."
- Excellent training is provided in each department that covers a wide array of topics to help develop a range of skills.
- Trainees are assigned substantial tasks and are trusted with important work for high-profile clients.
- The firm is working hard to improve diversity and reduce its environmental impact.
- Salaries are seen as being very competitive and only low compared to US firms.
- Trainees could be given more transparency when it comes to seat options.
- There can be a lot of pressure, which some trainees may find intimidating.
- Some feel that feedback could be given more frequently.
- While there is flexibility with hours, the workload can be unpredictable.
What insiders say about...
"We have a fairly lengthy online application letter so take your time with it. We..."
"The culture is very positive. Some departments have a reputation for being hierarchical..."
"We get excellent training with fee earners (including partners) and dedicated professional..."
"It depends on the department as a lot of people are very busy in some so feedback..."
"It is fair to say that there is a big variation in our offices, ranging from very..."
"The hours are pretty flexible and there's absolutely no 'face-time' culture at Macfarlanes...."
"We get paid very well, especially at new qualifier level. I hope that this will rise..."
"There are lots of social events/drinks at lovely restaurants and bars. The firm is..."
"There is a rigorous assessment process with an in-tray exercise, negotiation and..."
"I was asked general questions about my academic background, as well as specific questions..."
"The firm recycles."
"I believe that the firm is trying hard, but there still seems to be an issue regarding..."
"Work varies between seats but I always had relatively high exposure due to the transactional..."
"We do not have a separate pro bono department but there are a number of committed..."
"The good people, getting responsibility at an early stage, good training, interesting..."
"Certain partners are less approachable than others."
"The variety of work and the firm's reputation for the training the trainees receive...."
"The retention rates at the firm are very good and they aim to keep everyone who wants..."
"There is a wall of mysterious objects on the second floor of one of the buildings...."
"High-quality training in a supportive environment."
"Macfarlanes have various outreach schemes working with local schools and offering..."
"The transparency over seat allocation should be better."