"Small but mighty."
- Excellent training is provided in each department that covers a wide array of topics to help develop a range of skills.
- Trainees are assigned substantial tasks and are trusted with important work for high-profile clients.
- The firm is working hard to improve diversity and reduce its environmental impact.
- Salaries are seen as being very competitive and only low compared to US firms.
- Trainees could be given more transparency when it comes to seat options.
- There can be a lot of pressure, which some trainees may find intimidating.
- Some feel that feedback could be given more frequently.
- While there is flexibility with hours, the workload can be unpredictable.
What insiders say about...
"Read up extensively on the firm but don't sound like you're reeling off figures you..."
"Everyone has been friendly and willing to discuss technical issues in each of the..."
"We have lots of formal training sessions in each seat to broadly cover the main types..."
"We have multiple forms of mentoring. I have my supervisor for each seat and we also..."
"Offices are not very nice compared to other City law firms, although they are building..."
"The hours can be quite unpredictable but there is no pressure to stay late unless..."
"We are paid a firm-wide bonus, which is nice. Trainees are generally paid according..."
"Macfarlanes have just introduced a fitness subsidy so you can get up to £360 a year..."
"I had a vacation scheme interview, a two week vacation scheme and a training contract..."
"I was asked both commercial and personal questions. One of the questions asked was..."
"There seems to have been a really big drive recently towards being more green, encouraging..."
"Diversity is generally good at a recruitment/qualification level, and women generally..."
"The quality of the work that Macfarlanes is involved in is extremely high and the..."
"There's a firm Charity of the Year, lots of fundraising and legal pro bono too."
"Considerate associates, good deals and the general progression of work quality throughout..."
"Seat rotation can work better for some individuals than others and the reasoning..."
"The people, the great calibre of clients and the market-leaders in terms of successful..."
"Our firm boasts a nearly 100% retention rate due to the small intake of trainees...."
"We have dress down all day, every day for the entirety of July and August."
"Friendly, inclusive and driven."
"Having been brought up by a single-mother in a Welsh valley where I attended a comprehensive..."
"Tell us about our change in seats in advance. We currently choose our next seat around..."