I met MarketAxess at a Graduate Fair at the University and then saw the job advertised through the Uni jobs portal. I applied and after two telephone interviews and an assessment morning at the London Office, I had the job. I was impressed by the firm’s vision and was excited to work for a leading technology company within financial services.
A Business Analyst at MarketAxess plays a key role in helping to define and realise the future of the Marketaxess trading platform. Gathering and documenting client and market requirements is an important part of the role, as is assisting the development and QA teams through the following software development cycles. The MarketAxess trading platform is hugely feature-rich, and it’s also part of my role to be an expert in all those features – and how they come together to make MarketAxess the leading global platform for credit trading.
I received an intensive two week training program which included fixed income training and a detailed intro to the firm. There were also social events with other graduates and with the team I was joining. Formally, the graduate scheme is a one year program but apart from the initial training period, I have not felt like a graduate. I was quickly given my own responsibilities made to feel like a valued member of a small, but important, team.
Highlights of my work so far:
- Taken Lead BA responsibility for a software release meaning that I managed the European enhancements through the software development lifecycle, produced all internal and external facing release documentation and demonstrated the new enhancements to the Sales team and other internal stakeholders.
- Designed features which are now used daily by Fixed Income traders across our client base
- Became the go-to person for European initiatives
What the graduate enjoys about their job
- Having a real impact on the Trading Platform and seeing features that I have designed actively used by traders
- The young and dynamic office – working with like-minded people on the latest enhancements in electronic trading
- Working closely with technology teams in New York
MarketAxess has been a great opportunity for me to use the skills I gained through an Engineering degree and apply it to the Finance industry. I enjoy working with Development on technical challenges, and as a Business Analyst also love being able to work closely with the business to decide on the strategic road map and future initiatives. And finally - working in the city is great and socially there is always something going on after work!