"Challenging, intellectual and ambitious."
- Trainees are often given high-level work and are trusted with a variety of tasks.
- While below those of some US firms, new qualifier salaries are above the Magic Circle level in the UK.
- The small intake allows trainees to regularly work directly with partners and get given greater responsibility.
- Regular informal training is provided by mentors throughout the training contract.
- There may not be as much variety in departments as could be found at other firms.
- Some trainees would have liked more firm-organised socialising.
- Hours can be quite tough in some of the busier departments.
- There could be more formal training provided across departments.
What insiders say about...
"Know the three main sectors that the firm operates in, know the competitors and know..."
"The individual teams can be sociable but normally the hours get in the way of having..."
"Formal training is an area upon which the firm could improve. Trainees arrange the..."
"You have a lot of support, including another trainee 'buddy', a mentor, a supervisor,..."
"The location of the office is excellent. The dress code is relatively formal but..."
"Work hours can be very long. There isn't much flexibility for trainees but things..."
"I don't know much about what it's like after qualification but the trainee salary..."
"We get life assurance, a gym subsidy (£35 towards a gym of your choice), dental,..."
"I took part in an open day, which effectively counted as a first round in the system,..."
"What are the initial questions you would ask a client when being instructed for the..."
"We have lights with motion sensors in the office and there are huge efforts towards..."
"This is taken very seriously. We partner with an employment charity and run sessions..."
"I am usually involved in drafting principal and ancillary documents for investments...."
"Everybody in the firm, from trainees to partners, is encouraged to do at least 20..."
"You get to take on a lot of responsibility as you are usually the only trainee in..."
"The hours can be long and you are expected to do them (although my supervisor is..."
"I was really attracted to the firm's international nature to start with and I really..."
"The firm makes it clear that it will try to retain all of its trainees provided there..."
"Orrick represented Facebook against the Winklevoss twins (the lawsuit featured in..."
"Forward-thinking, welcoming, challenging."
"There is a lot of pro bono work."
"It would be good to have proper training upon joining each department to give you..."