"Friendly, supportive and ambitious."
- Trainees are often given high-level work and are trusted with a variety of tasks.
- While below those of some US firms, new qualifier salaries are above the Magic Circle level in the UK.
- The small intake allows trainees to regularly work directly with partners and get given greater responsibility.
- Regular informal training is provided by mentors throughout the training contract.
- There may not be as much variety in departments as could be found at other firms.
- Some trainees would have liked more firm-organised socialising.
- Hours can be quite tough in some of the busier departments.
- There could be more formal training provided across departments.
What insiders say about...
"There is an online application form which contains questions regarding grades, several..."
"In my experience the culture seem fairly formal with a clear hierarchy. That said,..."
"Most of the training is on-the-job and there is trainee training. This is run by..."
"The feedback I receive on work I do is regular and speedy. This is important to me..."
"Our office is round and very spacious. We work in individual offices or offices with..."
"The hours generally vary depending on which department you are in and what work there..."
"Trainee pay isn't bad but, at associate level, we're lagging behind other American..."
"There's a good pension and other benefits including healthcare and good corporate..."
"I had two 90 minute interviews with two lawyers and a member of the graduate recruitment..."
"I was asked about what it was that made Orrick stand out against the other firms..."
"We have lights with motion sensors in the office and there are huge efforts towards..."
"As an ethnic minority (whose parents immigrated to the UK) and having gone to a comprehensive..."
"I work with a range of people across my department and am generally given a new challenge..."
"The firm undertakes many pro bono projects but whether you get involved as a trainee..."
"Not knowing what work I'll be doing from one day to the next, the variety is great!..."
"The lack of social events or budget for them."
"I applied here because of the type of work Orrick does. Being involved with a lot..."
"Retention rates seem to have improved over the last few years, but whether I can..."
"We only have four months in each seat, which enables us to sit in six different departments...."
"Friendly, idiosyncratic at times, hard-working."
"There is a lot of pro bono work."
"It would be good if there was the option of completing an overseas seat as part of..."