"Friendly, sector-focused and growing."
- Trainees are often given high-level work and are trusted with a variety of tasks.
- While below those of some US firms, new qualifier salaries are above the Magic Circle level in the UK.
- The small intake allows trainees to regularly work directly with partners and get given greater responsibility.
- Regular informal training is provided by mentors throughout the training contract.
- There may not be as much variety in departments as could be found at other firms.
- Some trainees would have liked more firm-organised socialising.
- Hours can be quite tough in some of the busier departments.
- There could be more formal training provided across departments.
What insiders say about...
"Make sure you read up about the work that we do. We have a particular focus on tech,..."
"Everyone at the firm is extremely friendly and helpful. There can be long hours but..."
"Training is good although I think the IT training was later than it should have been...."
"I think that mentoring and informal training is really dependent on who you get to..."
"Lots of people are being hired and we are running out of office space. The building..."
"Hours can be long in certain departments but you are never the only one working late..."
"Trainees and new qualifiers are paid well – at least at (and, in some cases, above)..."
"We receive a good pension scheme, and free dinner and taxis if you're working late...."
"I participated in an open day, followed by a final interview. The selection process..."
"What skills do you think you need to become a commercial solicitor? Why Orrick? Why..."
"The firm is doing everything it can to be green."
"This is taken very seriously. We partner with an employment charity and run sessions..."
"In the transactional seats trainees have a lot of client contact and are given a..."
"The firm has a very good pro bono programme. In the short time that I have been with..."
"Due to the relative lack of mid-level associates, the work that trainees are able..."
"Personally, the transparency of the qualification process is a minus."
"The firm seemed very friendly on the open day, and there is a strong and interesting..."
"I believe the firm tries its best to keep its trainees as qualifiers (provided they..."
"Orrick represented Facebook against the Winklevoss twins (the lawsuit featured in..."
"Challenging, intellectual and ambitious."
"There is a lot of pro bono work."
"Input more structured training across all departments."