"Friendly, supportive and ambitious."
- Trainees are often given high-level work and are trusted with a variety of tasks.
- While below those of some US firms, new qualifier salaries are above the Magic Circle level in the UK.
- The small intake allows trainees to regularly work directly with partners and get given greater responsibility.
- Regular informal training is provided by mentors throughout the training contract.
- There may not be as much variety in departments as could be found at other firms.
- Some trainees would have liked more firm-organised socialising.
- Hours can be quite tough in some of the busier departments.
- There could be more formal training provided across departments.
What insiders say about...
"Candidates should thoroughly research the firm and come prepared to think on their..."
"There's a good culture in the office with lots of lunchtime events/talks organised..."
"Associates and partners give training specifically to trainees at least once a month..."
"There is a good support network, although you don't always get feedback on every..."
"The office is very comfortable and well located. The dress code is traditional City..."
"There really is no face-time culture, though there is quite a rigid approach when..."
"Pay is good but it's beginning to fall behind other US firms."
"The firm offer a good contribution towards a gym membership, and free dinners when..."
"I took part in an open day, which effectively counted as a first round in the system,..."
"The questions initially assessed why I was applying for the training contract and..."
"We have recycling bins and the firm is currently developing a system to have paperless..."
"The firm has a good mix of people from different backgrounds, though recruitment..."
"The quality of work is excellent and there's a huge variety of different things to..."
"The firm sends regular emails with details of the available pro bono work. First..."
"The firm has a very friendly culture that makes it an enjoyable place to work."
"There is sometimes a lack of oversight in what trainees do, which can lead to feelings..."
"I was encouraged to apply to Orrick because of the small trainee intake; I didn't..."
"Retention rates are generally very good. Orrick does have a policy of trying to grow..."
"The firm has been established in London for 20 years."
"Friendly, open, good team spirit."
"There is a lot of pro bono work."
"More socialising of the trainee intake before you start."