"Friendly, hard-working and intellectually interesting."
- Trainees are often given high-level work and are trusted with a variety of tasks.
- While below those of some US firms, new qualifier salaries are above the Magic Circle level in the UK.
- The small intake allows trainees to regularly work directly with partners and get given greater responsibility.
- Regular informal training is provided by mentors throughout the training contract.
- There may not be as much variety in departments as could be found at other firms.
- Some trainees would have liked more firm-organised socialising.
- Hours can be quite tough in some of the busier departments.
- There could be more formal training provided across departments.
What insiders say about...
"Be prepared to talk about your CV and achievements and be able to say why you would..."
"The hierarchy in corporate is very flat with partners being very happy to talk. In..."
"There is firm-wide training for lawyers that trainees attend, which are largely department-focused...."
"This can be very good if you have a good supervisor."
"We're in a great location on Cheapside. The client floor is very nice. We're running..."
"I'm on multiple deals that require my attention at the moment so I'm doing longer..."
"The Orrick trainee salary is competitive and higher than most UK firms, however,..."
"Perks include a subsidised gym membership, annual season ticket loan, taxis if leaving..."
"The process involved an application form including academic qualifications, a covering..."
"There were general questions about my CV and interests and what attracted me to apply..."
"The firm is doing everything it can to be green."
"As an ethnic minority and a woman, Orrick attracted me for its focus on diversity..."
"I work with a range of people across my department and am generally given a new challenge..."
"Almost everyone has a '20 hours plus' sticker on the door."
"You get to take on a lot of responsibility as you are usually the only trainee in..."
"There is sometimes a lack of oversight in what trainees do, which can lead to feelings..."
"Their high-level work in energy, technology and finance."
"Historically, the firm are not the best with retention, but this all depends on the..."
"Orrick is one of the oldest standing law firms in San Francisco."
"A US firm with an approachable side."
"There is a lot of pro bono work."
"Greater clarity regarding the retention process, departments with positions available..."