"Overall a friendly and engaging place to work."
- Trainees are often given high-level work and are trusted with a variety of tasks.
- While below those of some US firms, new qualifier salaries are above the Magic Circle level in the UK.
- The small intake allows trainees to regularly work directly with partners and get given greater responsibility.
- Regular informal training is provided by mentors throughout the training contract.
- There may not be as much variety in departments as could be found at other firms.
- Some trainees would have liked more firm-organised socialising.
- Hours can be quite tough in some of the busier departments.
- There could be more formal training provided across departments.
What insiders say about...
"Make sure you read up about the work that we do. We have a particular focus on tech,..."
"The culture is one of the firm's biggest strengths as an employer. People at all..."
"There's little structured training and how much you learn is heavily dependent on..."
"Supervisor feedback is great and continuous. The partners I've interacted with don't..."
"The top floor of the office contains client meeting rooms while the other two floors..."
"The hours are pretty gruelling, but if you aren't up to that then don't apply to..."
"I'm more or less happy with my lot. It can be easy to look at firms that pay higher..."
"We have a range of standard benefits such as a season ticket loan, private medical..."
"I took part in an open day, which effectively counted as a first round in the system,..."
"Questions included: Why Orrick? What skills do you think makes a good lawyer, and..."
"We have lights with motion sensors in the office and there are huge efforts towards..."
"The firm has a good mix of people from different backgrounds, though recruitment..."
"The work that I undertake is interesting and varied. My responsibilities include..."
"All lawyers (and trainees) are expected to get a minimum of 20 pro bono hours per..."
"Pluses for me are the friendly people, the high level work, and being given lots..."
"It can sometimes be difficult to receive detailed feedback on work due to the firm..."
"A combination of the friendly culture, the interesting sector focus and the size..."
"While retention wasn't looking great a couple of years back, it has really picked..."
"Orrick represented Facebook against the Winklevoss twins (the lawsuit featured in..."
"Friendly, hard-working and intellectually interesting."
"There is a lot of pro bono work."
"Provide more formal training."