"American, tech, energy."
- Trainees are often given high-level work and are trusted with a variety of tasks.
- While below those of some US firms, new qualifier salaries are above the Magic Circle level in the UK.
- The small intake allows trainees to regularly work directly with partners and get given greater responsibility.
- Regular informal training is provided by mentors throughout the training contract.
- There may not be as much variety in departments as could be found at other firms.
- Some trainees would have liked more firm-organised socialising.
- Hours can be quite tough in some of the busier departments.
- There could be more formal training provided across departments.
What insiders say about...
"The firm hosts open days, as opposed to Vac Schemes, and they are treated as a first..."
"While there is clearly a hierarchical structure, colleagues are friendly and welcoming...."
"I have experienced very few formal training programmes at Orrick during my time."
"Whether lawyers make good mentors varies widely from one lawyer to another but, if..."
"Our office space and location is good but the shower facilities could be improved...."
"I'm on multiple deals that require my attention at the moment so I'm doing longer..."
"I'm more or less happy with my lot. It can be easy to look at firms that pay higher..."
"We get a short amount of qualification leave and trainees are involved in completion..."
"I participated in an open day, followed by a final interview. The selection process..."
"There were a lot of questions about me and my application. The commercial questions..."
"We have recycling bins, but that's about as far as it goes."
"The firm has an annual day which recognizes diversity during which it puts on events..."
"My day-to-day responsibilities are very varied, and I experience a wide variety of..."
"We have a dedicated pro bono team and everyone is expected to hit their target of..."
"The best thing about working here is the responsibility, the people, and the varied..."
"There's a lack of formal training in each seat rotation."
"Small trainee intake, large international reach, focus on technology."
"All trainees from the intake above me were offered jobs on qualification. This is..."
"We incorporated a small company called Facebook."
"Entrepreneurial, corporate-focused and hardworking."
"There is a lot of pro bono work."
"Greater clarity regarding the retention process, departments with positions available..."