"Friendly, hard-working and reliable."
- People at the firm are friendly and helpful and mentors give regular support to trainees.
- Early training is given in both legal and non-legal skills to help trainees feel comfortable at the firm from the start.
- Trainees are given responsibility and varied work throughout their time at the firm.
- While hours can be long, many feel it is easier to maintain a good work/life balance than at other firms.
- There’s a feeling that trainee salaries are below average for a City firm.
- There can be competition for seats in highly sought-after departments.
- While the open-plan office is good for helping trainees to learn, some find it distracting.
- Some feel that the firm’s IT could be improved.
What insiders say about...
"My advice would be to research! You need to know the firm you are applying to, and..."
"The firm has a strong regional presence, and this has influenced the culture of the..."
"Each department runs a monthly know-how session to keep up to date with legal developments...."
"Solicitors and partners are all very accessible and approachable. I'm very satisfied..."
"Great modern offices; open-plan. Smart dress code if meeting clients."
"I normally get in at 8:30am but no one would complain if I didn't get in until 9:00am...."
"The salary is not the most competitive in relation to other firms of a similar size...."
"Flexible benefits package allows you to choose what is right for you"
"The interview process is comprehensive. It involved an assessment day, in-tray exercises,..."
"I was asked about previous job roles, my strengths and weaknesses, my current awareness,..."
"There are recycling bins and the firm is pushing to go 'paper lite'."
"It's good on diversity but could always do more."
"Penningtons has recently introduced an accelerated route to promotion for people..."
"At the firm I have plenty of client interaction, both over the phone and in meetings...."
"I have done a fair amount of pro bono and charity work and this is something I would..."
"The culture, work/life balance and level of responsibility."
"There's a big pay gap between the trainee salary of the London and regional offices...."
"The mix of work, good reputation and the work/life balance that is genuinely encouraged...."
"Records suggest good retention rates."
"We have an annual firm-wide ski trip."
"An expanding UK law firm with a strong focus on technology."
"I am aware that the recruitment team are working hard on addressing this at the moment..."
"In general, stresses are associated with the job, not the firm."
"More lunch facilities would always be nice, although there is still space to take..."