"Ambitious, friendly, and relaxed."
- People at the firm are friendly and helpful and mentors give regular support to trainees.
- Early training is given in both legal and non-legal skills to help trainees feel comfortable at the firm from the start.
- Trainees are given responsibility and varied work throughout their time at the firm.
- While hours can be long, many feel it is easier to maintain a good work/life balance than at other firms.
- There’s a feeling that trainee salaries are below average for a City firm.
- There can be competition for seats in highly sought-after departments.
- While the open-plan office is good for helping trainees to learn, some find it distracting.
- Some feel that the firm’s IT could be improved.
What insiders say about...
"My advice would be to research! You need to know the firm you are applying to, and..."
"Penningtons Manches is a very sociable and personable place to work. There are always..."
"Day-to-day training is good as you get lots of access to partners and senior associates..."
"Partners and associates are always good at saying thank you for work you've undertaken..."
"The London office has a great location (three minutes' walk from St Paul's) but the..."
"They're really good about holiday or necessary doctor's appointments etc. Though..."
"The pay discrepancy between London and out of London is a bit too much in my opinion...."
"Social events such as parties and the firm ski trip."
"I attended the vacation scheme which meant I didn't have a first round interview,..."
"I had to describe a situation where I had been a team player and tell the interviewer..."
"Some teams in the firm are paperless, which is great, but others are very behind..."
"The firm is very good at dealing with flexible working requests and there any many..."
"Penningtons has recently introduced an accelerated route to promotion for people..."
"The quality of work is good on the whole."
"I have not been involved with any pro bono work to date."
"The people. Everyone is supportive, understanding and wants you to experience as..."
"As a result of the merger, some of the firm's processes are still not fully joined..."
"I chose the firm for the wide range of practice areas, the location, and the friendly..."
"We recently had a merger, and the result was more trainees than usual. Whilst I am..."
"We have our own band."
"Friendly, hard-working and reliable."
"The firms' corporate social responsibility schemes with local charities focus on..."
"In general, stresses are associated with the job, not the firm."
"I would move the office closer to the town centre."