"The firm is down to earth, ambitious and inclusive."
- People at the firm are friendly and helpful and mentors give regular support to trainees.
- Early training is given in both legal and non-legal skills to help trainees feel comfortable at the firm from the start.
- Trainees are given responsibility and varied work throughout their time at the firm.
- While hours can be long, many feel it is easier to maintain a good work/life balance than at other firms.
- There’s a feeling that trainee salaries are below average for a City firm.
- There can be competition for seats in highly sought-after departments.
- While the open-plan office is good for helping trainees to learn, some find it distracting.
- Some feel that the firm’s IT could be improved.
What insiders say about...
"After assisting with the vacation scheme interviews I have seen both points of view..."
"Culture in the office is excellent. Everyone mucks in for work where required and..."
"So far, the training scheme has been well structured and the induction was very thorough...."
"Everyone is very approachable and takes the time to explain things thoroughly: you..."
"The office I'm in is open-plan, which is good when you are learning as a trainee...."
"I work 9.00 am – 6.30 pm/7.00 pm. Most of the office clears out by 6.30 pm unless..."
"The pay is reasonable for the hours worked."
"Floor support – we have a team that can assist with bundles, photocopying and paperwork,..."
"The interview process is comprehensive. It involved an assessment day, in-tray exercises,..."
"Why law? Why this firm? Why this location?"
"Efforts being made towards making more file electronic rather than paper-based."
"I think the firm is really trying to improve its diversity and has recently updated..."
"Penningtons has recently introduced an accelerated route to promotion for people..."
"I have had a lot of meetings with clients and I have been given some tasks that I..."
"The firm has been supporting a local charity for 18 months, including undertaking..."
"There's a friendly environment and lots of support from others in the office."
"For me it is the location, which is slightly out of central Oxford."
"I attended an open day and got a good vibe from the people. The range of practice..."
"Retention rates at the firm are generally very good."
"We have our own band."
"Friendly, hard-working and professional."
"I have not come across the firm's policy on this. However, I do think the nature..."
"In general, stresses are associated with the job, not the firm."
"Bring trainees and the rest of the firm together for more social events."