"An approachable firm that is diligent in its work."
- The firm is very social with a relaxed and friendly environment.
- Trainees get a good amount of responsibility and client interaction from an early stage.
- The work/life balance of trainees is treated with importance.
- Very strong mentoring and detailed feedback is given regularly.
- Relatively low remuneration compared to other firms.
- Some trainees would like to have more secondment opportunities.
- While the firm is flexible, some departments can have demanding hours.
- Retention rates can vary a lot between departments.
What insiders say about...
"Always be yourself and make sure you do your research on what the firm's values are..."
"The office is a friendly environment with no hierarchy. There isn't much socialising..."
"There are junior lawyer training sessions along with practice group specific bi-weekly..."
"My team is very accessible and I can ask question of any member of the team ranging..."
"The new branding makes everything much more bright and colourful which is good!"
"There is no need to be in the office if you have nothing to do. Nobody judges you..."
"Trainees have a good salary, but there is still a big gap between salaries at London..."
"Having your birthday off as an additional day's holiday and being given £50 in vouchers..."
"The assessment is focused around an assessment day which includes an interview, a..."
"I had to answer questions such as giving an example of where I led a team and any..."
"In terms of reducing the firm's carbon footprint, there is a new printing initiative..."
"Shoosmiths is a friendly and diverse firm. I have never experienced any difference..."
"The work is interesting and I have been given a fairly good level of responsibility...."
"Pro bono plays a big part in the firm and, as trainees, we are actively encouraged..."
"Fantastic colleagues, a great work/life balance, lots of activities and events going..."
"Commuting into Reading with a great deal of traffic can be stressful and time-consuming...."
"I had previous work experience with Shoosmiths so I knew I wanted to apply for a..."
"Retention varies by office and what the trainees in that intake want to do on qualification,..."
"Our CEO began as a trainee here at the firm."
"A firm with a great culture and masses of potential."
"We have corporate social responsibility schemes where we reach out/mentor high school..."
"Depends on workloads."
"Less time spent on trainee challenges and more time to focus on your work and training...."