"Friendly, supportive, encouraging and impressive."
- The firm is very sociable with a relaxed and friendly environment.
- Trainees get a good amount of responsibility and client interaction from an early stage.
- The work/life balance of trainees is treated with importance.
- Very strong mentoring and detailed feedback is given regularly.
- There’s relatively low remuneration compared to other firms.
- Some trainees would like to have more secondment opportunities.
- While the firm is flexible, some departments can have demanding hours.
- Retention rates can vary a lot between departments.
What insiders say about...
"The best way to prepare for the interview is to go to the firm and meet the people...."
"Everyone here is really approachable and there are no barriers between people of..."
"The firm makes sure that you get all the experiences you would as a solicitor and,..."
"The large majority of colleagues are very accessible to provide feedback. Many are..."
"Birmingham is the snazziest right now!"
"There's usually a great work/life balance. I tend to be out of the office by 6.30..."
"Pay does not reflect the quality of work and ambitions of the firm."
"Corporate discount and perks. Dress down Friday."
"They are looking for intelligent, commercially aware students who show enthusiasm,..."
"The questions ranged from competency questions to questions based on current affairs...."
"The firm makes it clear that it is increasingly trying to reduce its carbon footprint...."
"Shoosmiths genuinely recruits people from a diverse range of backgrounds, something..."
"The work is varied and interesting and of a high quality compared to most national..."
"I have worked on the trainee challenge, in which the first year trainees were challenged..."
"There is generally a very unstuffy, supportive and collegiate atmosphere in most..."
"The pay is not weighted by area, which means the standard of living differs between..."
"Location, reputation, work/life balance and the benefits that the firm offerd appealed..."
"The retention rate has dipped in the last few years, but hopefully the improved market..."
"The Solent office has a charity tuck box and a drinks trolley most Fridays that raise..."
"Approachable, professional, with a strong sense of direction."
"Each office has Diversity Champions. I am a Diversity Champion for the Solent office..."
"Depends on workloads."
"Less time spent on trainee challenges and more time to focus on your work and training...."