"A firm with a great culture and masses of potential."
- The firm is very sociable with a relaxed and friendly environment.
- Trainees get a good amount of responsibility and client interaction from an early stage.
- The work/life balance of trainees is treated with importance.
- Very strong mentoring and detailed feedback is given regularly.
- There’s relatively low remuneration compared to other firms.
- Some trainees would like to have more secondment opportunities.
- While the firm is flexible, some departments can have demanding hours.
- Retention rates can vary a lot between departments.
What insiders say about...
"Use as many different life experiences to back up what you are saying about yourself,..."
"There is no real hierarchy; everybody is approachable and engaging. There's a good..."
"You are assigned a supervisor in your department who makes sure you are given a good..."
"Partners are accessible due to the 'open-door' policy."
"Dress code is generally smart (although a full suit and tie isn't really the firm's..."
"Typically I work from 9:00am to 5:30pm, although I can stay later if there is something..."
"The pay is low in comparison with a lot of trainee solicitor positions."
"Gift vouchers for your birthday, Easter eggs at Easter and a selection box at Christmas...."
"I attended a vacation scheme at Shoosmiths. At the end of this I gave a marketing..."
"I was asked a mix of motivational and competency-based questions."
"While it can be difficult for a law firm to reduce its impact on the environment,..."
"Shoosmiths is a friendly and diverse firm. I have never experienced any difference..."
"I am currently in real estate and often have contact with clients by email and phone,..."
"CommuniCare pro bono legal advice clinic. Everyone is encouraged to get involved..."
"The firm has top quality clients which are a plus."
"Fewer resources and benefits than at a larger firm."
"I did a vacation scheme at Shoosmiths and really enjoyed it and the location is perfect..."
"The retention rates are good but you never know what is going to happen."
"Our CEO began as a trainee here at the firm."
"Client-focused, open, friendly."
"I am from a less privileged background and I felt comfortable applying to Shoosmiths..."
"Depends on workloads."
"Start earlier, finish earlier."