"Not your average law firm."
- The firm is very sociable with a relaxed and friendly environment.
- Trainees get a good amount of responsibility and client interaction from an early stage.
- The work/life balance of trainees is treated with importance.
- Very strong mentoring and detailed feedback is given regularly.
- There’s relatively low remuneration compared to other firms.
- Some trainees would like to have more secondment opportunities.
- While the firm is flexible, some departments can have demanding hours.
- Retention rates can vary a lot between departments.
What insiders say about...
"The best way to prepare for the interview is to go to the firm and meet the people...."
"Teamwork is very important at Shoosmiths. Practice groups work together to deliver..."
"Training varies from team to team. Some can be very useful but some can also be re-iterating..."
"My supervisor is great. We have already had a one-to-one that set out what I could..."
"Birmingham has a really nice open-plan office. There are hundreds of staff but they..."
"I work from 8:30am-6:00pm on average, but longer as and when work requires. No 'face-time'..."
"There isn't a bonus structure."
"There are a whole host of staff discounts for shops in the vicinity (this is handy..."
"There is an initial telephone interview and if successful you will be invited to..."
"The questions ranged from competency questions to questions based on current affairs...."
"In terms of reducing the firm's carbon footprint, there is a new printing initiative..."
"While I would say that diversity could be improved in some respects, the firm has..."
"I mainly deal with admin and project work, and there is a lot of client contact for..."
"First-year trainees have to undertake a first-year pro bono project. By midway through..."
"Shoosmiths has a fantastically open, friendly and supporting culture."
"Limited practice areas in each location."
"I successfully completed a placement with the firm in its Northampton office. My..."
"The retention rates are good but you never know what is going to happen."
"The firm has fruit delivered to all the office kitchens twice a week."
"Fantastic clients, a great quality of work and amazing colleagues."
"Work experience for applicants from less privileged backgrounds."
"Depends on workloads."
"I would like the salary to be a little higher."