"A melting pot of different people."
- The firm is very sociable with a relaxed and friendly environment.
- Trainees get a good amount of responsibility and client interaction from an early stage.
- The work/life balance of trainees is treated with importance.
- Very strong mentoring and detailed feedback is given regularly.
- There’s relatively low remuneration compared to other firms.
- Some trainees would like to have more secondment opportunities.
- While the firm is flexible, some departments can have demanding hours.
- Retention rates can vary a lot between departments.
What insiders say about...
"When applying there is an assessment centre with a variety of activities e.g. partner..."
"There's no hierarchy at all here, but teams work well together and there is cross-department..."
"I would definitely say that there is recognition of the importance of training. A..."
"Open plan office makes it really easy to ask for guidance."
"The office is open plan and right in the centre of Edinburgh. It has grown in terms..."
"Recently, I have been working fairly long hours, but on average they are very reasonable...."
"There are no bonuses at Junior level. Pay is okay for outside of London, but is less..."
"Free conveyancing, free wills and discounts at some of our retail clients."
"I was asked about my work experience, how I responded to negative/constructive feedback,..."
"The questions ranged from competency questions to questions based on current affairs...."
"Having smaller office spaces and hot-desking shows that Shoosmiths is working on..."
"Flexible working and shared maternity leave are both encouraged. The firm has dedicated..."
"You get really good work for big clients."
"Plenty of pro bono work is available to undertake if desired."
"I get to work with like-minded colleagues and we act for a range of well known clients...."
"The Manchester office is split into two locations whilst we are looking for larger..."
"Great firm with great clients local to where I live."
"The firm generally has more new qualifier jobs than trainees qualifying, meaning..."
"There are painted canvases in the kitchens in the Manchester office, with each representing..."
"Welcoming, friendly and ambitious."
"I am a member of several schemes to assist those from less privileged backgrounds...."
"Depends on workloads."
"Earlier consultation on seat moves, and perhaps a more fixed procedure in place to..."