"A down to earth, non-stuffy, friendly and smart firm."
- The firm is very sociable with a relaxed and friendly environment.
- Trainees get a good amount of responsibility and client interaction from an early stage.
- The work/life balance of trainees is treated with importance.
- Very strong mentoring and detailed feedback is given regularly.
- There’s relatively low remuneration compared to other firms.
- Some trainees would like to have more secondment opportunities.
- While the firm is flexible, some departments can have demanding hours.
- Retention rates can vary a lot between departments.
What insiders say about...
"If you are looking to apply to Shoosmiths, I would definitely look to engage with..."
"The firm's culture is very evident throughout. The firm encourages its employees..."
"There are personal development courses available throughout the year to supplement..."
"Extremely accessible. I have monthly updates with my mentor who checks that I am..."
"The Reading office space is a large open-plan office in the city centre next to the..."
"The firm is flexible when it comes to working hours."
"The salary is good for the location, but I believe that it could be reviewed more..."
"Birthday perks - you get an extra day off and a £50 gift voucher. Expenses are paid..."
"I completed an online written application followed by an assessment day. The assessment..."
"Be prepared for one or two left-field questions where they will look for you to either..."
"There is a general understanding that we will be as green as possible. I think more..."
"There are many women at the firm and firm is one of the only firms with a female..."
"I have had a lot of interaction, including three client secondments."
"Pro bono may vary where you are based, and although I have not been involved in any..."
"The culture. Everyone is so welcoming. The work has already been varied despite me..."
"Commuting into Reading with a great deal of traffic can be stressful and time-consuming...."
"The culture stood out as a place I would fit in and would want to stay for my entire..."
"The firm generally has more new qualifier jobs than trainees qualifying, meaning..."
"Despite the confusion of some people that call our office, we are not a cobblers!..."
"Expanding national firm."
"I am a member of several schemes to assist those from less privileged backgrounds...."
"Depends on workloads."
"More secondment opportunities and international secondments."