"Not your average law firm."
- The firm is very sociable with a relaxed and friendly environment.
- Trainees get a good amount of responsibility and client interaction from an early stage.
- The work/life balance of trainees is treated with importance.
- Very strong mentoring and detailed feedback is given regularly.
- There’s relatively low remuneration compared to other firms.
- Some trainees would like to have more secondment opportunities.
- While the firm is flexible, some departments can have demanding hours.
- Retention rates can vary a lot between departments.
What insiders say about...
"Think about what will set you apart from other good candidates and research the firm..."
"The culture can be highly specific to each office. For example, some that are not..."
"I would definitely say that there is recognition of the importance of training. A..."
"Everyone is personable and friendly and the supervision is supportive without being..."
"I think the Solent office is a great office although it is on a business park which..."
"My hours are generally consistent but can be erratic at times. To its credit, the..."
"Pay is market rate and, like a grad scheme, increases on qualification."
"Perks include free conveyancing after a year of employment."
"They are looking for intelligent, commercially aware students who show enthusiasm,..."
"My interview mainly consisted of competency based questions."
"While it can be difficult for a law firm to reduce its impact on the environment,..."
"Generally very good. A lot of senior women with children."
"I am satisfied with the work that I have been assigned so far. My day-to-day role..."
"I have worked on the trainee challenge, in which the first year trainees were challenged..."
"The people. The level of work and responsibility. The level of engagement. The emphasis..."
"The pay and lack of a London office."
"I applied here because of the firm's friendly nature, and the fact that it was an..."
"Retention rates are good. It is a fairly transparent process with early indication..."
"Despite the confusion of some people that call our office, we are not a cobblers!..."
"Down to earth and impressive lawyers."
"I am from a less privileged background and I felt comfortable applying to Shoosmiths..."
"Depends on workloads."
"More secondment opportunities and international secondments."