"Professional and with a high quality of work but top heavy."
- The firm has a genuine open-door policy and colleagues are approachable at all levels.
- The work offered to trainees is considered to be interesting and of a high level.
- The small trainee intake means that more focus can be given to each trainee and retention rates are good.
- The salary is seen as being very good and competitive.
- The international nature of the firm's work means that hours can be long and unpredictable.
- Some feel that there could be more training.
- The firm sometimes contacts trainees during weekends and holidays.
- Hours in some departments can be long and unpredictable.
What insiders say about...
"My advice is to be enthusiastic; be able to talk about what you have put down on..."
"There is an 'open-door' policy, partners and associates are always available and..."
"It would be nice to have some formal, seat-specific training before starting a seat...."
"The firm could roll out the mentoring scheme to trainees; this is currently the preserve..."
"Our current offices could be better, which is why we're moving next year to a very..."
"We do tend to work long and unpredictable hours and while this work style can be..."
"As a trainee the pay is great. My understanding about the bonus scheme is that it..."
"You do get a good pension scheme and access to private health care. You are also..."
"The assessment process consists of an online application form, which is followed..."
"Why law and why Sidley?"
"I haven't heard much about the firm's efforts in this area."
"The firm is very focused on promoting women."
"It doesn't appear to be easy to make partner at Sidley."
"I have been given a lot of responsibility so far; drafting emails to clients, participating..."
"I've provided the first draft of a loan agreement for a pro bono project and provided..."
"There's excellent remuneration and benefits as well as very interesting work and..."
"Volatile working hours."
"I was interested in finance and Sidley has a strong reputation in this area. I wanted..."
"The retention rates have historically been very good."
"There is a very popular ping-pong table in the office where a ping-pong tournament..."
"Intelligent, warm and professional."
"The firm helps with mentoring projects in schools located in less privileged areas,..."
"Depending on the department, the stress levels can be quite high at times."
"Have structured social events for trainees and associates to meet and get to know..."