"A good mix of everything you want from a law firm."
- The firm has a genuine open-door policy and colleagues are approachable at all levels.
- The work offered to trainees is considered to be interesting and of a high level.
- The small trainee intake means that more focus can be given to each trainee and retention rates are good.
- The salary is seen as being very good and competitive.
- The international nature of the firm's work means that hours can be long and unpredictable.
- Some feel that there could be more training.
- The firm sometimes contacts trainees during weekends and holidays.
- Hours in some departments can be long and unpredictable.
What insiders say about...
"Sidley's application process consists of filling out an online application form,..."
"There's very much an open-door policy. In the kitchens and corridors, anyone from..."
"Trainees have to give presentations to each other on legal topics that we find interesting...."
"The firm could roll out the mentoring scheme to trainees; this is currently the preserve..."
"I was surprised at how relaxed the dress code is: hardly anyone wears a tie."
"The hours can be quite tough, but generally speaking if you have an important event..."
"The firm competes with most US firms at trainee level. The NQ rate is mid-Atlantic,..."
"We get a well-being allowance that's been really helpful."
"One hour interview with two partners. General questions about my application and..."
"There were questions about me, my interests, my degree; commercial awareness questions;..."
"Reducing its carbon footprint is very important to the firm."
"While women at a partner level are still incredibly sparse, this is something that..."
"It doesn't appear to be easy to make partner at Sidley."
"I am given quite a lot of responsibility from emailing clients directly to being..."
"We're getting better at this. Trainees are expected to get involved with disability..."
"Being a branch of a giant US firm, we get to work on extremely high-calibre international..."
"The hours can be a bit tough sometimes."
"I had spent a week at the firm doing work experience, and I really liked the friendly..."
"Leaving usually seems to be a choice made by the trainee, not the firm."
"It's not exactly a little-known fact but the Obamas met while they were both working..."
"Impressive client roster and very friendly."
"The firm helps with mentoring projects in schools located in less privileged areas,..."
"It can get very stressful at times when deadlines are tight and there is a lot of..."
"More opportunities for trainee integration potentially."