I am currently on the Graduate scheme 2019 – This is a 2 year development programme that allows me partake in a range of training courses that apply to my role in order to progress further. During my first year I would also be taking part in a digital business project with other graduates to discover if there are ways Skanska can improve construction procedures with digitalisation.
My biggest highlight so far while working on St. Giles circus is that we lifted a building (The Smithy) across the site and then later relocated it back to its original position.
In my first year of university I applied to take part in the summer internship around December 2017. This involved a series of telephone interviews, assessment centres and one to one interviews; I managed to pass all these stages and was offered a position as a construction supervisor on the summer internship in Bristol. At the end of my 4 year degree I was offered a role as a Graduate Construction Supervisor.
The reason I chose to work for Skanska is honestly that their key values tie in with my own values. This I believe is vital when choosing to work for any company. Skanska are committed to caring for life and this is not just a goal to Skanska, it is a promise to ensure we work in an environment that promotes a healthy work life balance and that sold it for me - A company that makes my wellbeing a priority!
My role involves the following:
- Oversee the day-to-day works on site with the various trade contractors that it is in line with the programme, budget and health and safety regulations.
- Reviewing all risk assessments and method statements for the works being carried out.
- Evaluating the resources and manpower on site to conduct the various activities.
- Completing site diary – A snapshot of the site works daily.
- Inspect the works and that it is in line with the quality specifications.
I enjoy that every day my job differs and that it does not feel like a routine. In reality it keeps me on my toes. I also enjoy that each day brings its challenges and that we have to think of the best solution to resolve it.
Personally, I have such an amazing team and that has such a big impact and makes working here so much more fun!