"Market-leading and innovative."
- Both the internal and external training on offer is extensive and well organised.
- There’s a collegiate atmosphere with good teamwork at the firm.
- Retention rates are consistently very high and trainees are confident in their ability to remain at the firm.
- The lack of billable hours targets is very popular among trainees.
- Workloads can be unpredictable, which means hours can vary greatly.
- The unpredictability of hours can make it difficult to plan a social life.
- While the salary is very good, it is towards the lower end of the magic circle.
- Some trainees would like more frequent feedback.
What insiders say about...
"The application is just a CV. I attended the winter workshop and was fast-tracked..."
"Great teamwork. Partners are on the whole very approachable. There's an open door..."
"Excellent - plenty of training on lots of different subjects. From organised, compulsory..."
"Trainees meet with a partner once a month to look over their training contract diary..."
"I am really happy with the office space, location and facilities. It is on the fringes..."
"Hours are very dependent on what department you are in, and what projects you are..."
"I am happy with my salary. London is expensive however (rent is the worst thing)..."
"Perks include: free dinners, free tickets to sports matches and free tickets to exhibitions...."
"The process was very straightforward. I completed a short written exercise and then..."
"I was asked why I wanted to be a lawyer and how I could be sure of this (my background..."
"The environment committee have put in place CO2 reducing initiatives which seem to..."
"Open culture (lots of diversity networks), and the usual City commitment to increasing..."
"Beyond qualification, all solicitors are associates, theoretically equal in rank..."
"The quality of trainee work varies from department to department, although the subject..."
"I have worked on a pro bono project for a major national orchestra/charity. Lots..."
"My friendly supervisor and department, the good hours and getting to work on big..."
"Long hours, serious atmosphere."
"The prestige of the firm and the friendly culture during my vacation scheme."
"Retention rates are good, but I am not sure how many people get offered a place in..."
"Slaughter and May was originally founded by two partners from Ashurst."
"Has its own way of doing things."
"We target a very broad range of universities across the UK and make very clear that..."
"I'm not particularly stressed as a trainee but I get the impression it gets more..."
"Give everyone the chance to go on international secondment. Currently very few of..."