"Efficient, comprehensive, sensible."
- Both the internal and external training on offer is extensive and well organised.
- There’s a collegiate atmosphere with good teamwork at the firm.
- Retention rates are consistently very high and trainees are confident in their ability to remain at the firm.
- The lack of billable hours targets is very popular among trainees.
- Workloads can be unpredictable, which means hours can vary greatly.
- The unpredictability of hours can make it difficult to plan a social life.
- While the salary is very good, it is towards the lower end of the magic circle.
- Some trainees would like more frequent feedback.
What insiders say about...
"My advice is to make the most of your time at university; i.e. do interesting things..."
"There is no face-time culture and I've regularly been encouraged to go home by supervisors..."
"There's a complete range of training programmes including legal skills, client seminars..."
"Feedback tends to be limited to formal processes. Generally, the approach to take..."
"The office is a very pleasant place to work with spacious offices and great facilities...."
"This varies from department to department and working late nights and weekends does..."
"It's very competitive for trainees and is improving at the new qualifier level."
"Corporate discount on gym membership. Health insurance. Dinner after 7:00pm; taxi..."
"Very simple conversation with two partners. They challenge your ideas, but it shouldn't..."
"I was asked about my general past experience. I was also asked: why law? Why Slaughter..."
"There are some green initiatives (we have reusable coffee cups for example) but there's..."
"Things seem very diverse at the junior end but get progressively less so towards..."
"Beyond qualification, all solicitors are associates, theoretically equal in rank..."
"The quality of work is high and you're encouraged to take on more responsibility,..."
"The firm is very committed to pro bono projects - and employees of all levels participate..."
"We're always doing something new and having to think about things from scratch. You..."
"Opaque - no real idea about what's going on at the top."
"The reputation of the firm and the fact that it's small in size compared to other..."
"The retention rates at the firm are usually very high and this comes through in the..."
"No one knows where the Jelly Babies come from."
"An exciting challenge that brings a sense of fulfilment."
"The firm runs open days for potential applicants from specific groups."
"Expectations are high but you are never left feeling exposed."
"Better allocation of work among trainees and smoother transition between seats."