"Formidable reputation and a fantastic place to learn."
- Both the internal and external training on offer is extensive and well organised.
- There’s a collegiate atmosphere with good teamwork at the firm.
- Retention rates are consistently very high and trainees are confident in their ability to remain at the firm.
- The lack of billable hours targets is very popular among trainees.
- Workloads can be unpredictable, which means hours can vary greatly.
- The unpredictability of hours can make it difficult to plan a social life.
- While the salary is very good, it is towards the lower end of the magic circle.
- Some trainees would like more frequent feedback.
What insiders say about...
"The application process is relatively straightforward. It consists of a CV and cover..."
"No 'face-time'. Enjoy it while you're quiet, but you work hard when it's busy. No..."
"We get loads of training and sometimes I have three or four sessions in a week. It..."
"Very aggressive programme of review, including three-monthly appraisals and monthly..."
"The offices do not have the range of facilities some law firms have. For example,..."
"Hours can be very flexible if you inform people of your needs in advance."
"The pay for trainees is almost standard across the magic circle firms, so there are..."
"Free tickets for various events are often available (although usually at very short..."
"I had one interview for the Summer Work Scheme and another during that scheme. Very..."
"There weren't too many questions on why I wanted to be in law etc. Instead, they..."
"We have separate bins in the coffee pods and the firm does keep track of its carbon..."
"There is an active Diversity Partner who works hard at this. Ultimately - everything..."
"Beyond qualification, all solicitors are associates, theoretically equal in rank..."
"As part of a litigation team, I have a lot of exposure to clients and other third..."
"Perhaps not as much as other firms, but there is still a decent amount such as law..."
"Friendly colleagues from partners to secretarial staff. The quality of work and people..."
"Long and unpredictable hours."
"The people. It was the most impressive in terms of how efficiently the interviews..."
"Retention rates are good, but I am not sure how many people get offered a place in..."
"The firm offices were built on an old plague pit."
"The firm works with organisations to help people from less privileged backgrounds..."
"Expectations are high but you are never left feeling exposed."
"Some kind of background pro bono or similar projects to work on when you are quiet..."