"High-achieving, proud and bookish."
- Both the internal and external training on offer is extensive and well organised.
- There’s a collegiate atmosphere with good teamwork at the firm.
- Retention rates are consistently very high and trainees are confident in their ability to remain at the firm.
- The lack of billable hours targets is very popular among trainees.
- Workloads can be unpredictable, which means hours can vary greatly.
- The unpredictability of hours can make it difficult to plan a social life.
- While the salary is very good, it is towards the lower end of the magic circle.
- Some trainees would like more frequent feedback.
What insiders say about...
"Know your CV back to front and think of any obvious questions you might be asked..."
"Culture is very good - the firm has an 'open-door' policy and most people are always..."
"The training we receive is extremely strong and diverse. It ranges from broad overview..."
"This is taken very seriously, with regular meetings with one's supervisor as well..."
"The dress code is unspoken but pretty conservative, but I don't think that is specific..."
"I'm in Corporate so it's a biased experience. I live with two other lawyers who have..."
"Trainees at this firm, in their first year, earn around £12,000 above the median..."
"We have benefits at the Barbican Centre, a great discount to Virgin Active gyms,..."
"The interview was less formulaic than those at other Magic Circle firms - in some..."
"General questions about my background/hobbies. Why Slaughters? Why law? The usual..."
"Committed environmental team introducing systemic changes (eg recycling bins in every..."
"Strong commitment to diversity that does not match its reputation. A significant..."
"Beyond qualification, all solicitors are associates, theoretically equal in rank..."
"Very satisfied. The multi-specialist approach means you do see the full range of..."
"The firm promotes a very wide range of pro bono activities, including tutoring children..."
"There are no target hours. You do a very wide range of work in each group. It is..."
"Standards and expectations are high. IT could be improved."
"I like the way we engage with the community and the amount of corporate responsibility..."
"The firm has very high retention rates, although some departments can be very competitive...."
"It worked for SOE (the proto-SAS) in WWII."
"Prestigious, friendly and elite."
"Social mobility is difficult to address - not everyone attended public/private school,..."
"I'm not particularly stressed as a trainee but I get the impression it gets more..."
"Better allocation of work among trainees and smoother transition between seats."