"A bit misunderstood - less stuffy than people think."
- Both the internal and external training on offer is extensive and well organised.
- There’s a collegiate atmosphere with good teamwork at the firm.
- Retention rates are consistently very high and trainees are confident in their ability to remain at the firm.
- The lack of billable hours targets is very popular among trainees.
- Workloads can be unpredictable, which means hours can vary greatly.
- The unpredictability of hours can make it difficult to plan a social life.
- While the salary is very good, it is towards the lower end of the magic circle.
- Some trainees would like more frequent feedback.
What insiders say about...
"Having a very good understanding of why you have applied is essential. Apart from..."
"There is a genuine open-door policy that creates a collegiate culture where superiors..."
"Training is very intensive and is taken extremely seriously. This allows trainees..."
"My supervisor is a partner and she is very accessible. She takes an interest in what..."
"Offices are nice although a bit low key. Facilities are good but some things are..."
"Hours can be up and down depending on which department you are in and how busy that..."
"Salaries are good enough that we can't complain, but are clearly lower than at US..."
"There's a very good range of concierge discounts and a free art pass for museums..."
"The interview was less formulaic than those at other Magic Circle firms - in some..."
"I was asked: why not be a barrister? Why a law degree and not a History or English..."
"As a law firm, the paper trail is quite large and sometimes unavoidable. We're moving..."
"There are attempts, but they feel symbolic rather than systematic. In terms of women,..."
"Beyond qualification, all solicitors are associates, theoretically equal in rank..."
"As part of a litigation team, I have a lot of exposure to clients and other third..."
"Interviewing candidates for a social mobility work experience programme. Helping..."
"There's good-quality internal training and the lack of sub-groups within departments..."
"Hierarchical - what we say to someone on our level can't necessarily be said to someone..."
"I liked the culture here more than elsewhere - it was the clear differentiating factor..."
"The firm has an excellent retention rate and a good policy for offering places in..."
"Only a maximum of five partners are permitted to be on a given airplane at the same..."
"High expectations and high achievement."
"The firm works with organisations to help people from less privileged backgrounds..."
"I'm not particularly stressed as a trainee but I get the impression it gets more..."
"Trainees should be trusted (and encouraged) to take more responsibility during their..."