"Efficient, comprehensive, sensible."
- Both the internal and external training on offer is extensive and well organised.
- There’s a collegiate atmosphere with good teamwork at the firm.
- Retention rates are consistently very high and trainees are confident in their ability to remain at the firm.
- The lack of billable hours targets is very popular among trainees.
- Workloads can be unpredictable, which means hours can vary greatly.
- The unpredictability of hours can make it difficult to plan a social life.
- While the salary is very good, it is towards the lower end of the magic circle.
- Some trainees would like more frequent feedback.
What insiders say about...
"There's a written exercise on a commercial piece/business plan that tests your ability..."
"Partners and associates are generally approachable and willing to lend their time..."
"There are lots of one- to three-hour training sessions. The firm often puts them..."
"Associates and partners are very accessible, and supervisors have always been willing..."
"We have a formal dress code, though it can be more casual depending on department...."
"Hours are extremely variable and unpredictable but this comes with the job and we..."
"Very. This is the most money I have earned (having started out with minimum wage..."
"Pensions. Gym membership. Free tickets to sports events."
"I had one interview for the Summer Work Scheme and another during that scheme. Very..."
"I had a debate on whether the voting age should be lowered to 16. I discussed where..."
"The firm has a genuine commitment to being more environmentally conscious and friendly...."
"The firm has various equality networks."
"Beyond qualification, all solicitors are associates, theoretically equal in rank..."
"As part of a litigation team, I have a lot of exposure to clients and other third..."
"There are many opportunities including volunteering at a law centre, mentoring and..."
"The stellar clients we work for."
"Work/life balance and unpredictable hours."
"I chose Slaughter and May because of the firm's reputation for excellence combined..."
"I'm confident that as long as there are spaces in the departments I want to qualify..."
"The firm is famous for jelly babies."
"Prestigious, hierarchical, hardworking."
"The firm runs an access programme."
"It depends. In my first two weeks, I was very stressed because I was launched straight..."
"More feedback or detail on what exactly is required from you on tasks."