"Outstanding, daunting, challenging."
- Both the internal and external training on offer is extensive and well organised.
- There’s a collegiate atmosphere with good teamwork at the firm.
- Retention rates are consistently very high and trainees are confident in their ability to remain at the firm.
- The lack of billable hours targets is very popular among trainees.
- Workloads can be unpredictable, which means hours can vary greatly.
- The unpredictability of hours can make it difficult to plan a social life.
- While the salary is very good, it is towards the lower end of the magic circle.
- Some trainees would like more frequent feedback.
What insiders say about...
"Candidates with strong academic backgrounds with an interest in the law. Work out..."
"The firm has a strong hierarchy, but partners' doors are always open and it is easy..."
"The firm provides the formal professional skills course training, 'trainee in practice'..."
"We have monthly monitoring partner meetings. I sometimes receive feedback, but not..."
"Great office, spacious and well designed with lots of little kitchen 'pods' dotted..."
"The firm is usually quite flexible. I have been very pleasantly surprised. If you..."
"Pay is generous in the context of the market as a whole. However, it pales in comparison..."
"Free football tickets, partners v. staff cricket games and many other benefits including..."
"Slaughter and May were unusual in that they only required a CV and covering letter..."
"What client would you want to have if you were a partner here? If you were on a deserted..."
"The firm puts an emphasis on reducing its carbon footprint and incorporates this..."
"Strong commitment to diversity that does not match its reputation. A significant..."
"Beyond qualification, all solicitors are associates, theoretically equal in rank..."
"I'm extremely satisfied. The multi-specialist approach means getting exposure to..."
"There are some pro bono initiatives. I volunteer at the Islington Law Centre but..."
"The type of work you get exposed to is of the highest calibre and the lawyers working..."
"Promotion opportunities beyond qualification - steep slope to partnership."
"They came and spoke at my university and seemed nice. The simple application process..."
"The firm has very high retention rates and the qualification process seems straightforward...."
"Slaughter and May gets more high-value UK government work than any other firm."
"Prestigious, hierarchical, hardworking."
"The firm works with organisations to help people from less privileged backgrounds..."
"Expectations are high but you are never left feeling exposed."
"I would like to see increased levels of responsibility for trainees who are willing..."