"High-achieving, intense, challenging."
- Both the internal and external training on offer is extensive and well organised.
- There’s a collegiate atmosphere with good teamwork at the firm.
- Retention rates are consistently very high and trainees are confident in their ability to remain at the firm.
- The lack of billable hours targets is very popular among trainees.
- Workloads can be unpredictable, which means hours can vary greatly.
- The unpredictability of hours can make it difficult to plan a social life.
- While the salary is very good, it is towards the lower end of the magic circle.
- Some trainees would like more frequent feedback.
What insiders say about...
"The application is just a CV. I attended the winter workshop and was fast-tracked..."
"The culture is fine, the people for the most part are nice. There is fairly strict..."
"Training at the firm is very extensive. Some weeks can have up to eight-nine hours..."
"Very aggressive programme of review, including three-monthly appraisals and monthly..."
"The dress code is fairly formal, but the longer you stay on the more comfortable..."
"Hours can be very flexible if you inform people of your needs in advance."
"The pay for trainees is almost standard across the magic circle firms, so there are..."
"Firm provides an excellent pension scheme. The discounted gym membership is great..."
"The interview was challenging and required a good knowledge of current affairs and,..."
"Questions included: Why law? Why commercial law? What subjects did you find interesting..."
"There have been a number of reasonably successful initiatives (reusable cups, for..."
"The firm has strong diversity programmes and an LGBT network that regularly hosts..."
"Beyond qualification, all solicitors are associates, theoretically equal in rank..."
"I have generally had very good work as a trainee. I had a lot of drafting work in..."
"Pro bono projects that are available include: law centre volunteering; GCSE tutoring;..."
"Excellent work and extremely good clients. Friendly people."
"The training contract structure could be more flexible and there could be more opportunities..."
"High quality clients, interesting (and challenging) work, high trainee retention..."
"The majority of people who leave seem to do so for a higher salary. It depends what..."
"There is a book on the history of Slaughter and May."
"A friendly, innovative and efficient firm that is driven by excellence."
"Social mobility is difficult to address - not everyone attended public/private school,..."
"It has its moments - I've only cried once! Seriously though - there are days that..."
"Include more software training at the beginning of the training contract as this..."