"Outstanding, demanding and academic."
- Both the internal and external training on offer is extensive and well organised.
- There’s a collegiate atmosphere with good teamwork at the firm.
- Retention rates are consistently very high and trainees are confident in their ability to remain at the firm.
- The lack of billable hours targets is very popular among trainees.
- Workloads can be unpredictable, which means hours can vary greatly.
- The unpredictability of hours can make it difficult to plan a social life.
- While the salary is very good, it is towards the lower end of the magic circle.
- Some trainees would like more frequent feedback.
What insiders say about...
"Your cover letter should be short and to the point. Your CV should aim to prompt..."
"The hierarchy is established and known, but not oppressive. Nearly all the partners,..."
"There is a lot of training and I am definitely developing the legal skills I started..."
"Informal training is relatively variable - you do sometimes have to press supervisors..."
"Offices are modern and spacious. Facilities are good. Dress code is formal. A tie..."
"Hours can be very flexible if you inform people of your needs in advance."
"It's hard to complain when we're obviously on a very high salary compared to the..."
"Perks include corporate membership of the Barbican, a corporate box at Lord's, and..."
"The interview process itself is very straightforward, but the firm is notoriously..."
"I was asked about my general past experience. I was also asked: why law? Why Slaughter..."
"Recyclable bamboo cups have been distributed to everyone and the cafe now only gives..."
"I would like the firm to take social mobility more seriously, but it has sound policies..."
"Beyond qualification, all solicitors are associates, theoretically equal in rank..."
"The quality of work varies drastically depending on the demands of the project and..."
"Over half of the firms staff contribute to pro bono projects in some way."
"Very high-profile work and clients, an excellent brand and reputation, the generalist..."
"The policy that 'no news is good news' means that feedback can be hard to come by,..."
"A reputation for excellence and respecting tradition and for attracting highly academic..."
"Retention rates are very high."
"Slaughter and May was originally founded by two partners from Ashurst."
"Challenging, perfectionist, constantly seeking excellence."
"We target a very broad range of universities across the UK and make very clear that..."
"It depends. In my first two weeks, I was very stressed because I was launched straight..."
"To have an area for people to work together late in the evenings (this is more general..."