"The law firm clients come to when they need to bet the farm."
- Both the internal and external training on offer is extensive and well organised.
- There’s a collegiate atmosphere with good teamwork at the firm.
- Retention rates are consistently very high and trainees are confident in their ability to remain at the firm.
- The lack of billable hours targets is very popular among trainees.
- Workloads can be unpredictable, which means hours can vary greatly.
- The unpredictability of hours can make it difficult to plan a social life.
- While the salary is very good, it is towards the lower end of the magic circle.
- Some trainees would like more frequent feedback.
What insiders say about...
"It's a straight-forward application process where you submit a CV and cover letter..."
"The culture is fine, the people for the most part are nice. There is fairly strict..."
"There are several devoted training sessions on legal topics, as well as on more general..."
"Most associates are very available and offer good advice upon request. Some partners..."
"The offices do not have the range of facilities some law firms have. For example,..."
"The hours are fairly unpredictable and weekends aren't sacred - but I was aware of..."
"Bonuses a bit stingy but salaries are in line with other City firms."
"Art Fund card - lots of discounts to exhibitions, museums, etc."
"Getting a training contract with Slaughter and May is difficult in terms of competition,..."
"Questions were focused on my academic background and my career motivations and goals...."
"The environment committee have put in place CO2 reducing initiatives which seem to..."
"It is clear that the firm is committed to diversity at trainee level. There is far..."
"Beyond qualification, all solicitors are associates, theoretically equal in rank..."
"The quality of work is high and you're encouraged to take on more responsibility,..."
"So far I have been involved in law centre volunteering, UCAS application help, career..."
"The quality of work and training as well as having no billable hours targets."
"There are unpredictable working hours leading to both very busy and quiet periods...."
"An excellent reputation as well as the training on offer made me pick Slaughter and..."
"The retention rates are one of the key draws of the firm, trainees are not treated..."
"Slaughter and May gets more high-value UK government work than any other firm."
"Intelligent, hardworking and respectful."
"The firm runs an access programme."
"It depends. In my first two weeks, I was very stressed because I was launched straight..."
"Allow people to re-sit legal practice course modules."