"Challenging, perfectionist, constantly seeking excellence."
- Both the internal and external training on offer is extensive and well organised.
- There’s a collegiate atmosphere with good teamwork at the firm.
- Retention rates are consistently very high and trainees are confident in their ability to remain at the firm.
- The lack of billable hours targets is very popular among trainees.
- Workloads can be unpredictable, which means hours can vary greatly.
- The unpredictability of hours can make it difficult to plan a social life.
- While the salary is very good, it is towards the lower end of the magic circle.
- Some trainees would like more frequent feedback.
What insiders say about...
"There's a written exercise on a commercial piece/business plan that tests your ability..."
"In the office, everyone is quite serious, but it feels more that people are genuinely..."
"The quality of the training is very high. Formal sessions provide a strong basis..."
"Partners and associates are generally very good at giving detailed feedback and teaching..."
"The office is very nice, very light. The dress code is smart, though not by any means..."
"I like that when you are not busy everyone is very happy to let you leave early...."
"I am aware that the firm's pay is lower than some competitor firms but I think that..."
"Pensions. Gym membership. Free tickets to sports events."
"I think it is a very fair interview and really gives you the chance to 'sell yourself'...."
"To what extent is historical revisionism a valid and necessary part of historiography?..."
"The firm has an environment committee and has a proven commitment to reducing our..."
"The firm has a good diversity network and understands there is room for improvement...."
"Beyond qualification, all solicitors are associates, theoretically equal in rank..."
"I get to do lots of research, perform a few admin tasks and have frequent training..."
"I am currently working on a mentoring project partnered with a local school, helping..."
"The firm offers a very high-achieving environment in which you can learn a great..."
"There are occasionally unsociable working hours."
"Several factors encouraged me to apply to Slaughter and May: the firm's reputation,..."
"The retention rates are one of the key draws of the firm, trainees are not treated..."
"We have a photography studio in the basement."
"Interesting, dynamic and professional."
"Social mobility is difficult to address - not everyone attended public/private school,..."
"I'm not particularly stressed as a trainee but I get the impression it gets more..."
"I would like to see increased levels of responsibility for trainees who are willing..."