"Conducts some of the most interesting work you will come across...."
- Both the internal and external training on offer is extensive and well organised.
- There’s a collegiate atmosphere with good teamwork at the firm.
- Retention rates are consistently very high and trainees are confident in their ability to remain at the firm.
- The lack of billable hours targets is very popular among trainees.
- Workloads can be unpredictable, which means hours can vary greatly.
- The unpredictability of hours can make it difficult to plan a social life.
- While the salary is very good, it is towards the lower end of the magic circle.
- Some trainees would like more frequent feedback.
What insiders say about...
"It's a straight-forward application process where you submit a CV and cover letter..."
"People are generally very friendly with a good sense of humour but there is a very..."
"Training is very intensive and is taken extremely seriously. This allows trainees..."
"My supervisor is a partner and she is very accessible. She takes an interest in what..."
"I am really happy with the office space, location and facilities. It is on the fringes..."
"Hours can fluctuate and are uncertain from day to day, but it is rare for me to be..."
"Getting paid 40k as a first year trainee and 45k as a second year trainee is very..."
"Pretty standard - taxis and free dinners are assumed as the 'norm' but they are greatly..."
"The application process was very straightforward - I sent in a covering letter and..."
"To what extent is historical revisionism a valid and necessary part of historiography?..."
"Several events and initiatives to raise awareness. Separate bins for recyclable and..."
"The firm has various equality networks."
"Beyond qualification, all solicitors are associates, theoretically equal in rank..."
"Depending on your supervisor and the type of matter you are working on, you should..."
"My involvement in pro bono work has been somewhat ad hoc but I have done random pieces,..."
"Interesting work. No 'face-time' culture. No billable hour targets. Excellent training...."
"The hours are quite long leading to a work/life balance that tips significantly towards..."
"The fact that the firm was the best in the market."
"We have one of the consistently highest retention rates in the City which is very..."
"Slaughter and May was originally founded by two partners from Ashurst."
"In a league of its own."
"The firm runs an access programme."
"I'm not particularly stressed as a trainee but I get the impression it gets more..."
"I think there should be fewer trainees sitting with partners and more sitting with..."