"Genuinely committed to excellence, but fairly hierarchical."
- Both the internal and external training on offer is extensive and well organised.
- There’s a collegiate atmosphere with good teamwork at the firm.
- Retention rates are consistently very high and trainees are confident in their ability to remain at the firm.
- The lack of billable hours targets is very popular among trainees.
- Workloads can be unpredictable, which means hours can vary greatly.
- The unpredictability of hours can make it difficult to plan a social life.
- While the salary is very good, it is towards the lower end of the magic circle.
- Some trainees would like more frequent feedback.
What insiders say about...
"Firm looks for candidates with the best grades, and who can engage in an intelligent..."
"Excellent, intellectually demanding, meritocratic, genuinely collegiate working culture...."
"Outstanding training, both internal and external. Well organised and thorough."
"Solicitors and partners are very accessible and there is a real open-door policy...."
"The offices do not have the range of facilities some law firms have. For example,..."
"Hours tend to be long only when essential. I have been in a quiet department so have..."
"Very competitive within the city. Cannot complain."
"Free tickets for various events are often available (although usually at very short..."
"I think it is a very fair interview and really gives you the chance to 'sell yourself'...."
"I was asked why I wanted to be a lawyer and how I could be sure of this (my background..."
"The firm has a genuine commitment to being more environmentally conscious and friendly...."
"The firm has various equality networks."
"Beyond qualification, all solicitors are associates, theoretically equal in rank..."
"There is lots of high quality research and work on interesting points. I don't have..."
"A good range of pro bono work exists, and many lawyers participate enthusiastically...."
"My friendly supervisor and department, the good hours and getting to work on big..."
"We have a lack of diversity and there can be some one-upmanship in terms of who works..."
"The people. Everyone I had met was engaging, helpful and intelligent but also themselves...."
"The firm has very high retention rates and the qualification process seems straightforward...."
"The canteen does some of the best homemade cakes in the City."
"Intellectual, good reputation, top-tier."
"The firm works with organisations to help people from less privileged backgrounds..."
"You manage your workload, so you control your stress levels. When it's busy. I admit..."
"Give more information about the different groups before people choose seats. The..."