"A pleasant place to work with exposure to good quality work."
- The firm does not have a strong feeling of hierarchy and associates and partners are usually approachable.
- There is frequent training of a high standard and the professional skills course is spread out to stop it feeling overwhelming
- Most departments are understanding with hours to help trainees achieve a good work/life balance.
- Trainees are given a wide variety of responsibilities early on, with helpful guidance on their tasks.
- The salary is not seen as particularly competitive by some and there are no bonuses for trainees.
- There could be more transparency around seat choices.
- While hours can be flexible, they are often long and unpredictable too.
- While overseas placements are offered, some trainees would have liked more.
What insiders say about...
"There's an application, a first stage interview and an assessment centre. Candidates..."
"The firm is very friendly and has lots of socialising events."
"Stephenson Harwood offers a comprehensive induction and on-going training programmes...."
"All the lawyers are approachable and enthusiastic to help. Feedback and appreciation..."
"The general quality of the offices is great."
"I work around 11 to 15 hours a day and sometimes weekends. However, the firm is flexible..."
"I think the pay here is in line with market standards and comparative to our peer..."
"We get good healthcare benefits and there's support for carers through My Family..."
"The application process consists of a phone interview with HR and an assessment day..."
"I was asked: "What do you know about the law?"; "When have you failed at something?";..."
"Our Hong Kong office has spot checks to encourage fee earners to remember to switch..."
"The firm is very open and inclusive. My intake at the firm is very diverse with people..."
"I get very interesting work and felt that I was given the right balance of responsibility..."
"I raced in the Men's Health Survival of the Fittest for the Bromley By Bow Centre...."
"The calibre of work, international secondments and friendly people."
"No 24 hour support staff/taxi accounts."
"The size of the firm and of the trainee intake as well as the international opportunities...."
"The firm has high retention rates."
"The CEO is a woman."
"Great work, friendly, small intake."
"We run a mentoring scheme with a London school. Vacation schemes are paid."
"Hire more trainees to deal with resources."