"Impressive track record and intelligent, friendly lawyers."
- The firm does not have a strong feeling of hierarchy and associates and partners are usually approachable.
- There is frequent training of a high standard and the professional skills course is spread out to stop it feeling overwhelming
- Most departments are understanding with hours to help trainees achieve a good work/life balance.
- Trainees are given a wide variety of responsibilities early on, with helpful guidance on their tasks.
- The salary is not seen as particularly competitive by some and there are no bonuses for trainees.
- There could be more transparency around seat choices.
- While hours can be flexible, they are often long and unpredictable too.
- While overseas placements are offered, some trainees would have liked more.
What insiders say about...
"Keep up-to-date on where the firm is expanding and, if possible, what strategy it..."
"The firm is very friendly and has lots of socialising events."
"There are a couple of departmental talks every month. Some fee-earners will spend..."
"My supervisor was very keen to teach me about the niche area of law I was working..."
"Stephenson Harwood has only moved to its new office space within the last few years...."
"I hear the average leaving time is around 7.00 pm except for when you work on completions..."
"There are no bonuses for trainees."
"There are free or hugely discounted tickets to museums and galleries."
"There are only eight places per intake and two intakes per year. Three vacation schemes..."
"They were interested in my previous work experience and how I thought that experience..."
"The firm recycles all the recyclable materials it can and cups are biodegradable...."
"The general outlook is good and there is a positive momentum in the right direction...."
"Trainees are generally given a high level of responsibility and the matters that..."
"As trainees we can use our annual corporate social responsibility day on a variety..."
"The people, the nature of the work, the responsibility you are given."
"In many departments our direct competitors are all much larger law firms than us..."
"It's a small trainee intake paired with exciting work, high levels of responsibility..."
"Retention rates could be better but partners are open to talking about qualification..."
"The firm has an enthusiastic mixed tag-rugby team!"
"A medium-sized big-hitter with a well-earned and long-standing reputation in its..."
"We run a mentoring scheme with a London school. Vacation schemes are paid."
"More opportunities to work with other people across the firm rather than only with..."