"Intelligent, diligent and demanding."
- The salary and bonuses are high and seen as being at a higher level of pay than most firms.
- Trainees, associates and partners all work and socialise together so the office hierarchy is very flat.
- Retention rates have historically been excellent and this means trainees can focus on their studies rather than competition.
- Both formal and informal training is of a high quality with plenty of time being dedicated to trainees.
- While hours are seen as fair, they can get very long if there’s a lot of work to do.
- Some feel that there are fewer socialising opportunities than at other firms.
- There could be more transparency regarding seat selection and reviews.
- The firm is so large that it can sometimes feel overwhelming.
What insiders say about...
"The application process consisted of sending in my CV and a covering letter tailored..."
"It's collegiate with a diverse cast of characters."
"The training programme has improved hugely since the firm hired a dedicated in-house..."
"This has been surprisingly good, even from very busy partners. Good work is acknowledged..."
"Modern offices with a different theme for art work on each floor. Dress sense is..."
"As long as you arrive by about 9.45 am each day, you should be alright (depending..."
"Market-leading pay and bonuses."
"A concierge service that can get tables in restaurants that profess to be fully booked!..."
"Traditional CV and cover letter application. Two interviews with two partners, one..."
"I was asked several commercial awareness type questions during my interview."
"We have recycling bins, separated waste bins and automated air con that switches..."
"I believe that the firm exceeds most diversity targets."
"Trainees are given a great deal of responsibility at S&C and get involved in a large..."
"Pro bono in the London office had fallen by the wayside until last year when it was..."
"Having great colleagues and a small trainee intake makes it a very personable experience...."
"The hours can be long and demanding at times."
"The quality of the partners, and the fact that most of the partnership took the time..."
"Our first NQs will be starting in September so we do not have a retention rate. However,..."
"The London office is the second biggest S&C office in the world, only behind New..."
"Challenging but with a high-level of support from talented lawyers."
"The firm does not have a type when recruiting candidates for the vacation schemes/training..."
"Stress is part of the nature of practice as a junior lawyer - there is almost never..."
"A few more associate- or partner-led training sessions would be highly useful."