2022 Graduate Scheme - Corporate Finance, Energy Transition
What we do
We maximize value for our clients by combining our global footprint and core competencies in corporate finance and economics with deep energy transition expertise and extensive industry contacts across traditional and emerging clean technology sectors.
Our work is typically varied, a selection of our key focus areas being:
- Renewables Development & Market Strategy – supporting a wide array of firms join the renewables development boom
- Clean and Smart Mobility – dealing with EVs, ACES, and alternative powertrains for transportation as well as alternative fuels for passenger vehicles, trucks, ships and aviation.
- Offshore Wind Auction Strategy – finding the winning strategy for clients in competitive lease or contract auctions for offshore wind
- Energy Transition Strategy – pivoting hydrocarbon heavy organizations to a lower carbon portfolio and scenario planning the future market evolution for fuels and chemicals and paths to net zero.
- Auction Modelling: Developed an auction simulation model to optimise an client’s bidding strategy in an offshore wind CfD contract auction, while running analysis of competitor strategies and bid prices.
- Electric Vehicle and Digital Strategy: Assessed EV adoption drivers across multiple markets to analyse the impact on EV charger sales, energy demand, opportunities to monetise transportation data and develop associated business models
- 10 Year Strategy for Renewable Developer: Developed a geographical and technological diversification strategy including progressive assessment of >45 markets across wind, solar and storage technologies
- Business Model Development: Retained by a leading wind turbine OEM to assess potential new business models to respond to a changing market environment, including service offerings and integrated energy solutions
What you will do
As a member of the Energy Transition Practice, you will work with a range of clients, across multiple industries, and on diverse types of projects, from day one.
Our team comes from a wide range of backgrounds and graduates play a key role in project teams, performing key analysis and research tasks with exposure to senior clients. You will gain a solid grounding in strategic advisory and receive unique opportunities to develop financial and commercial knowledge.
The team has grown to encompass wind, solar, storage, aggregation, hydro, hydrogen, electric vehicles and other emerging technologies that support the renewable value chain.
As our clients and their requirements are varied, you’ll get opportunities to work across several of these technologies, as well as on a wide variety of projects, such as helping clean energy world leaders enter new markets, supporting competitive renewable auction strategy and analysing new EV charger business models. Our projects can be fast-paced with a steep learning curve, and graduate consultants often work across multiple different client and technologies in their first year, allowing the consultant to gain considerable expertise in new and exciting fields.
You will be involved in:
- Strategic Consulting – researching, analysing and synthesising key insights and advice for a variety of clients and scenarios
- Financial Analysis / Financial Modelling of various renewable assets, developers and others
- Energy Policy Development and Impact Assessment
- Corporate Finance / M&A - sale mandate, capital raising and due diligence
What we offer you
The Energy Transition team is based within the Corporate Finance practice and has teams in London and Denver. International working opportunities are available.
As a graduate in the team, you will be given the opportunity to undertake professional qualifications including the ACA or CFA, alongside regular learning opportunities through our network. Graduates are also encouraged to take part in community outreach projects and other extra-curricular opportunities.
You will acquire in-depth knowledge of a host of renewable technologies, from hands-on research and working with some of the industry’s experts and develop key consulting skills, from high-level client interactions, presentation and public speaking, to a thorough understanding of market research and data analysis and visualisation, with knowledge of the international renewable industry and its markets.
- A minimum 2:1 degree in any discipline with good A level results
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, multi-tasked environment
- Interest in the energy sector and the energy transition in particular (preferably with some experience through work experience or education)
- Ability to interface with team members and clients in demanding, deadline-driven situations
- Strong written and oral communication skills – relating to pitch books, articles and presentations
- Proficient in MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Excellent attention to detail with a logical, practical and commercial approach
- Highly organised and proactive with corporate experience
- Numerate and analytical capabilities
- Strategy, Consulting, or Transaction & M&A experience
- Financial Modelling experience
- Knowledge and experience of VBA, ideally within a modelling context;
- Familiar with data sources and tools such as Companies House, Bloomberg, the Markets/Capital IQ and Thomson Reuters
- Additional qualifications – even if only started: CFA or ACA /ACCA etc.
Apart from the well-structured career path and excellent team environment, our employees enjoy a variety of perks and benefits.
We offer a competitive benefits and wellbeing programme including private medical insurance, dental insurance, life insurance, income protection, flex critical illness cover, 5% employer pension contribution, holiday buy, discounted gym membership, interest free travel loans, paid volunteer hours and corporate matching for charitable donations, and much more.
About FTI Consulting
What makes us unique? With more than 6,250 employees located in offices in every corner of the globe, we are the firm our clients call when their most important issues are at stake. Regardless of what level you are, you will have the opportunity to work alongside and learn from top experts in your field on high-profile engagements that impact history. Our culture is collaborative, and we value diversity, recognition, development and making a difference in our communities.
FTI Consulting is publicly traded on the New York Stock Exchange and has been recognized as a Best Firm to Work For by Consulting magazine and one of America’s Best Management Consulting Firms by Forbes. For more information, visit our website and connect with us on Twitter (@FTIConsulting), Facebook and LinkedIn.
FTI Consulting is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, colour, national origin, ancestry, citizenship status, protected veteran status, religion, physical or mental disability, marital status, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, or any other basis protected by law, ordinance, or regulation.