2022 International Business Technology Summer Internship
South East +1•
At Discover, you will never stop learning. We are looking for people driven by purpose, who want to help us change the game in financial services. We were founded in 1986, and now have over 16,000 employees. Together we are dedicated to helping people spend smarter, manage debt better and save more for a brighter financial future.
By joining us, you will be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign. We are as focused on our employees as we are on our customers – and we have been consistently awarded for both. Be the reason we help millions of people build a brighter financial future, and achieve yours along the way.
Discover your brighter future by joining one of Americas the fastest growing direct banking companies.
Discover Financial Services provides banking and credit products that help people achieve their goals - from establishing good credit, to paying for an education to consolidating debt. With a global team over of 18,000 employees, we manage a payments network with acceptance in more than 185 countries and territories. In the United Kingdom, there are two office locations, with two key areas of focus. Our Farnborough office serves as our Tech Hub, while Hammersmith houses one of our Sales and Operations arms.
Discover’s Emerging Talent Programs offer unique opportunities to launch your professional career in an environment that is structured to support your individual growth, while also helping you build an extensive network to expand your business knowledge and career options. As part of our Emerging Talent Leadership and Development Programs, you can be part of building and innovating the products and services that help our millions of consumers build their brighter financial futures. At Discover we know our people are the key to our success, and our Emerging Talent Programs provide structure and support while immersing you in the business with a focus on solving real business challenges. Be part of a culture where diversity, teamwork and collaboration reign.
Join a company that is just as employee-focused as it is on its customers, and which is consistently awarded for both. We are all about people and our employees are why Discover is a great place to work. Be the reason we help millions of consumers build a brighter financial future and achieve yours along the way with a rewarding career.
Discover's Business Technology Internship Program offers exciting 8-12 week paid internship opportunities for highly motivated individuals who are interested in exploring Business Technology with a FinTech. Our unrivalled internship offers international experience as we split their time between our US offices in Riverwoods offices, Chicago and our UK Technology hub in Farnborough, Hampshire. We will manage the visa application process and cover all associated costs. Participants will work on challenging initiatives in a sought after work environment and culture. Individuals selected will be matched to projects within the Digital Payments arm of Business Technology. They will be challenged to exercise and expand their critical thinking and problem solving skills, working alongside proven leaders on projects and strategic initiatives aligned with Discover's high-priority goals.
Participants can expect:
8-12 week paid internship aimed at aligning personal talents with business initiatives
- Challenging and impactful work assignments that support Discover’s strategic priorities and objectives
- Opportunities to work in the US, on complex, cross-functional projects and process improvement initiatives
- A team of resources to assist with training and career development, including dedicated program managers, experienced performance managers and knowledgeable mentors
- Real time and consistent feedback
- Interaction with the key stakeholders and senior leadership through both projects and program events
- Enhance their abilities to lead projects, make decisions, problem solve and think creatively
- Group activities, including networking events and volunteer activities
- Opportunities to establish lasting career connections with fellow interns
What You’ll Do:
As a Software Engineer, you will be responsible for:
Working on a variety of technology projects and initiatives aligned with Discover's high-priority goals that will provide you with business, industry and technological knowledge.
How You’ll Do It
- Collaborate on code reviews and process enhancements and assists peers in debugging or troubleshooting.
- Increase knowledge of working with technologies/services/platforms such as: Unix, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Cloud Foundry, Java/J2EE, Scala, Spring, REST, Jenkins, Gradle, Git, Nexus, Kubernetes, Docker, OpenShift, MongoDB, Oracle, Teradata, ETL and more.
- Learn broad business knowledge, experience working on cross-functional initiatives, and career contacts.
- Learn industry and organizational knowledge, leadership communication techniques, creating a personal brand and building an internal network
- Leverage agile software development methodologies to define and review business requirements for new services, functions or applications.
- Interact with teammates, clients, business partners, management and external partners to complete technology projects.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science or related field
- Current enrollment in an accredited University
- Preferred majors include: Computer Science and Computer Engineering
- Graduation date June 2023
- Predicted a minimum of 2:2
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including the ability to translate ideas into clear priorities
- High energy and intellectual curiosity
- Strong analytical skills and a consultative approach to addressing customer needs
- Strong business acumen, knowledge of financial industry, risk management, and business metrics
- Demonstrated ability to solve problems creatively
- Ability to apply previous experience and knowledge to new situations and problems
- Operates as a team player
What are you waiting for? Apply today!
The same way we treat our employees is how we treat all applicants – with respect. Discover Financial Services is an equal opportunity employer (EEO is the law). We thrive on diversity & inclusion. You will be treated fairly throughout our recruiting process and without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or veteran status in consideration for a career at Discover.
Farnborough, Hampshire (UK) and Riverwoods, Chicago (US)
South East, United States of America