In fast changing markets, customers worldwide rely on Thales. Thales is a business where brilliant people from all over the world come together to share ideas and inspire each other. In aerospace, transportation, defence, security and space, our architects design innovative solutions that make our tomorrow's possible.
Together we offer fantastic opportunities for committed employees to learn and develop their career with us. At Thales UK, we research, develop, and supply technology and services that impact the lives of millions of people each day to make life better, and keep us safer. We innovate across five major industries; Aerospace, Defence, Ground Transportation, Security and Space. Your health and well-being matters to us and that’s why we offer you the flexibility to do what’s important to you; whether that’s part time hours, job sharing, home working, or the ability to flex your start and finish times. Where possible, we support a working pattern that suits your lifestyle and helps you reach your ambitions.
We’re inventing the future, right here, right now, at Thales. By combining the curiosity to explore, the intelligence to question and the vision to create, we’re transforming the world around us.
The Thales UK Business Growth function brings together the key elements of our business winning focus, and is responsible for securing and growing new business across the whole portfolio of Thales capability. In the past three years the team has won over £3.5 billion of new business for defence and civil markets in the UK and overseas, and our ambition is to grow. For that we need the best talent in the market.
The Thales UK Sales and Business graduate role is an exciting, challenging and high profile role. In this role you will be involved in a mix of customer facing sales and business development activity and back office supporting activities for both domestic and export sales. You will grow your skills and experience through rotational placements across our UK sites and in any of our UK businesses covering a range of markets and customers. During the scheme you will have the opportunity to work in Sales, Marketing, Communications, Government Relations and other business winning functions such as Procurement, Commercial and Bids. The role will also involve overseas travel.
During the past three years, Thales UK has significantly invested in the Business Growth function and we are looking for the very best individuals to join us. If you are ambitious, driven, tenacious and like a challenge, we can’t wait to meet you.
You will be expected to complete a minimum of two placements across various Thales sites and businesses in the UK, so flexibility on your location is required for this role. Our Business Growth Function is based across these main sites; Crawley, Belfast, Reading, London, Glasgow and Templecombe, however your placements could take place at any of our sites in the UK.
- Working with the Business Growth Function managers and capture leaders developing and supporting the growth of new business to generate potential sales with our customers in both domestic and export markets. This will include working on and supporting competitive bids and developing skills in how to determine the value for the customer in the Thales offer
- Analysing and understanding Thales’ strengths and weaknesses against the competition
- Innovating and generating new ideas to address our customer needs
- Developing high quality bid packs to achieve negotiating mandates from Thales senior management
- Producing high quality customer proposals
- As you progress in your role you will have responsibility for developing or supporting a network of customers and stakeholders
- Sales operations, marketing analysis and support – forecasting, analysing, reporting, co-ordinating and supporting bid and peer reviews for both domestic and export opportunities
- Participating and contributing in major customer events and shows, e.g. Farnborough/Paris Air Show and DSEI etc. This will involve meeting and greeting UK and International delegations of customers
Skills, qualifications and experience
You will be on track to, or have achieved, a bachelor’s degree in any subject. However, Business, Marketing, International Business, Economics, Politics or numerical degrees such as Maths or Physics are of particular interest.
You will enjoy socialising and interacting with people, fostering valuable relationships and developing networks in a high energy environment. You have the drive and motivation to push yourself and your peers to generate and support new business ideas and solutions and see these through to completion. You will be comfortable in making decisions, taking informed risks and have the ability to think of innovative ways to progress a sale and be very customer-focused, ensuring the accuracy and quality of information or documentation provided. You will also enjoy travelling, in the UK and internationally.
Please note that Graduate Development Programme (GDP) activities take place during the working week but may require the investment of some personal time for travel and follow-up activities. You may have the opportunity to travel to Thales and non-Thales sites throughout the UK when participating in GDP activities.