From here, choose a whole world of experience
Looking to gain experience at a leading European energy trading house with real growth potential? Want to work alongside industry experts, building experience and skills that will help you flourish in your early career?
Our ‘Women in Trading’ Summer Placement is offering a unique opportunity to female students in their penultimate year of studies to join us for a three month summer placement and take their crucial first steps in their career journey. We recognised the under-representation of females within the energy sector and are committed to improving diversity. We also believe this will help bring diversity of thought, and help us adapt to the transforming landscape of opportunities and challenges, from digitalisation to decarbonisation.
Our programme has been designed to highlight our talented women, de-mystify the world of trading and to give you an understanding and insight into a trading career at RWE Supply & Trading. As well as the chance to gain hands on experience and upskill, our interactive sessions will help you to develop confidence in a business setting and feel comfortable to bring your whole self to the workplace.
You can expect to:
- Explore our company, culture, and meet members of our diverse communities (including our Women's Network)
- Learn about our commercial departments and commodity trading (focusing on trading and front office teams)
- Attend workshops focused on female empowerment and career coaching sessions to nurture your skills
- Network with our employees and diverse communities
- Be allocated a ‘female mentor’ for support
The contribution you’ll make
From day one, you’ll be helping us continue our expansion into new markets and locations. Throughout the placement programme, you’ll be developing the skills and knowledge you need to become an industry expert. Some of our Commercial teams include:
- Proprietary trading of energy commodities (power, coal, gas, oil, LNG, metals, carbon)
- Freight Trading & Operations (Shipping)
- Commercial Asset Optimisation
- Weather Analysis Team
- Analytical functions such as Structuring & Valuation, Risk Management or Data Science
The qualities you’ll bring
We’re looking for female students who are in the penultimate year of a highly analytical, numerical or business-focused subject (such as but not limited to Maths, Physics, Engineering, Computer Science, Business, Statistics, Physical Geography or Economics) and who are ideally on course to achieve a 2:1 or above. What you must have is:
- Enthusiasm and drive to develop your skillset and seek out development opportunities within a supportive team
- Excellent communication skills
- IT proficiency
- A desire to work collaboratively with a curious approach, challenging yourself to find new solutions
- Motivated to take on new challenges, whether operating independently or in a team
- Commercial aptitude and entrepreneurial skills
- Analytical mind and the ability to learn quickly
From here, you’ll have a community of support
At RWEST we have an energy to be inclusive and believe diversity drives success. Reaching your full potential means being able to bring your whole self to work and being respected for the different opinions, strengths and experiences you bring.
Our summer placement programme has been designed to give you the chance to gain highly valuable work experience and skills. From day one, you’ll be making a real contribution to your team.
Supporting you as well as your learning
We’ll do everything we can to help you fulfil your potential with us. We offer a wide variety of initiatives to support you in and out of work, including:
- Competitive salary
- 25 days annual leave, plus bank holidays (pro-rated for the 12 weeks)
- Access to our Employee Assistance Program (EAP) providing you with immediate and confidential help for any work, health or life matters
- Join any of our employee networks for social interaction (including Diversity Ambassador Programme), peer support and personal development, as well as contributing to the development of policies and working practices
- Flexible benefits, including discounts at shops
- Access to a modern office and trading floor
- Open and diverse company culture with various clubs and societies
- State-of-the-art IT
From here, you have a choice to make
You can also find us on LinkedIn and Instagram.
We value diversity and therefore welcome all applications, irrespective of gender, disability, nationality, ethnic and social background, religion and beliefs, age or sexual orientation and identity.
As an inclusive employer we strive to be able to support you to perform at your best at each stage of our recruitment process and can make adjustments to ensure this.
Apply before 9th January 2024
Please note that it is mandatory to upload your CV and cover letter in English. You will need to submit these as one document to apply. Furthermore, your CV should include your recent university and A-Level (or equivalent) grades.
RWE Supply & Trading is the interface between RWE and the energy markets around the world. Approximately 1,800 employees from over 70 different countries trade electricity, gas, commodities and CO 2 emission allowances. The trading entity also ensures the commercial optimisation of RWE’s power plant dispatch and markets electricity from RWE.