Advisory Services Graduate Trainee - September 2022
Apply by: 28.02.2022
West Midlands +4
The Advisory & Consulting Service Line is a rapidly growing, award winning, global group of successful teams working together to present a go-to-market differentiator whilst delivering the highest quality of work for our clients.
If you are successful in securing a role on our training programme you will join a team of 600+ innovative specialists across a variety of sectors including Financial Services, Industry & Services, and Public Services with consultative expertise in Risk & Management Consulting, Internal Audit, Actuarial and all aspects of the Tech & Digital space. Our Advisory teams are at the forefront of large international infrastructure projects, global M&A transactions, high-profile forensic investigations, business valuations, corporate restructuring and creditor advisory services; all with the aim of adding value to clients by finding solutions to a range of financial issues as one collaborative team.
An introduction to our Advisory rotation programme:
As part of our unique Advisory training programme, you will be offered the opportunity to rotate through various business areas within our market leading teams.
- The Crisis & Disputes team includes our Forensics and Valuations (F&V) experts as well as specialist teams in Corporate Restructuring and Bankruptcy: The F&V team work on assignments with a variety of clients in different sectors including; oil & gas, shipping, mining, telecommunications, intellectual property and royalties, pharmaceuticals and financial services. The Corporate Restructuring & Bankruptcy teams work closely together to form a national team of over 100 professionals dedicated to helping businesses and their stakeholders, as well as personal clients, during times of difficulty.
- The Deals & Financing team includes our Mergers & Acquisition (M&A) team, who guide clients through a range of critical business transactions. The team focusses on originating transactions, structuring, negotiating, and managing deals for a variety of clients. They work closely with our Due Diligence (DD) team who support corporate clients, private equity providers and investment funds through M&As and disposals. Our clients' main objective is to maximise their return on the deal. We help them understand the opportunities and risks of the deal by thoroughly assessing the target company's finances.
This Business Unit has recently been strengthened by our market leading Monitoring Trustee team who are a dynamic consultancy team renowned in the industry for delivering a high-quality service to companies and regulatory authorities with advice on monitoring the implementation of divestment and behavioural remedies in merger, antitrust and State aid cases globally. The team liaises daily with regulatory bodies in the UK and the US.
- The Energy Infrastructure team are a truly international team recognised as award-winning leaders in their field. The team provides financial advisory, modelling, infra-valuations, and training services to the global infrastructure market. The team combines market leading expertise with deep knowledge of our chosen sectors and deliver that capability globally as one team.
As you rotate you will have the opportunity to work across a range of industries from large corporations to owner managed business to private clients. We also advise in many different sectors both in the UK and around the world.
Your time will usually be split between working with the team, our clients and studying for your professional exams. You will learn to provide high-quality investigations, draft accurate advice, prepare expert reports, models, and testimony on financial and accountancy matters. You will develop the capability to advise and help clients buy and sell businesses or raise debt / equity finance. Your involvement will include participation in pitches and proposals through to deal completion. You will have the opportunity to help businesses and their stakeholders by providing advice in respect of business underperformance, or at the early stages of distress, to help achieve the best outcome for creditors as part of an Administration or Liquidation process. These are just some examples of the interesting and varied work we will engage you in during your training with our team.
We are moving to a new hybrid working model, so as a trainee you will split your time between working from home, visiting the office, client sites when required or studying for your professional exams.
During your first year you will:
- Undertake in-depth financial analysis and document reviews, working closely with managers and partners to support the preparation of reports.
- Prepare targeted analysis of data under supervision of project managers.
- Complete independent verification of expert reports to ensure that all facts and figures therein agree to supporting documents and effectively communicate any identified issues to the project team.
- Assist managers and partners by preparing tables, charts, exhibits and appendices for inclusion in reports.
- Develop an understanding of a variety of financial and accounting disputes in numerous sectors.
- Identify relevant information and critically analyse the information to support the project team.
- Produce high quality research / presentation packs for meetings with existing and prospective clients including market and deal research, valuation multiples and potential buyers / acquisition targets.
- Help support the team in the execution of transactions; including being able to obtain relevant information and assisting in drafting sales marketing documents / pitch documents.
- Assist on building financial models and undertaking financial analysis.
- Take ownership of administration tasks across all aspects of a deals, business development and marketing activities.
- Undertake in-depth financial analysis and document reviews, working closely with managers and partners to support the preparation of financial due diligence reports.
- Be able to obtain relevant information from targets whilst also building rapport with client
- Assist experienced colleagues with the management of their portfolio of cases, including matters of asset realisation, learning to apply statutory forms and meticulously comply with statutory procedures.
During your second year you will:
- Take ownership of drafting sections of a report allocated to you.
- Self-review own work, ensuring it is client ready and consistent with the expected house styles and quality.
- Aid less experienced team members.
- Attend meetings with clients contributing on specific aspects of deals, such as buyers list and marketing document sections.
- Support project management by ensuring the set timetable is followed by all parties involved (including other financial/legal advisors).
- Perform detailed analysis of a client's business to fully understand its drivers, risks, and opportunities.
- Analyse financial performance of companies and perform draft valuation calculations.
- Be a point of contact for clients and parties throughout transactions.
- Prepare documents and research for business development meetings with key intermediaries.
- Support the team in its business development and marketing activities.
- Effectively balance multiple projects and responsibilities.
In your final year you will take on more responsibility in the form of your own portfolio of cases reporting directly to experienced individuals within the team. You will be expected to take responsibility for larger sections of expert reports, or for the entirety of a smaller project, ensuring completion delivery within stated deadlines. This will include actively participating in both team and client meetings and taking responsibility for the budget of the project and active participation in some marketing and business development activities.
- Interpersonal skills: the ability to build client relationships with a foundation of trust and responsibility.
- Ability to communicate professionally both internally and externally orally and in writing.
- Analytical skills: the ability to think critically, research and solve problems.
- Attention to detail and strong time-management skills.
- Commitment to self-development & learning.
- Ability to work effectively in a team with a strong affinity with our values; in particular, respect for individuals, inclusion and diversity, and integrity.
- Ability to work under pressure whilst recognising the deadline or urgency to be dealt with.
- Ability to make confident and clear presentations.
Strong academic performance is important, so we know that you're ready to take your professional exams. However, we understand things don't always go to plan – so if you don't meet our minimum requirements, please let us know if you have any exceptional achievements or extenuating circumstances which affected your results. We also consider your achievements in the context of your socio-economic background, so encourage you to submit your contextual information
- On track to achieve or have obtained a 2.1 or above in any degree discipline
- Minimum of 112 UCAS points. This is based on the new 2017 UCAS Tariff. You can calculate your UCAS points here.
- Grade B or above in GCSE English Language and Maths.
We will fund your study towards the ACA qualification.
You will receive a full study package to ensure that you successfully complete your professional qualification. This includes time off to study, attend college and complete online courses. Your professional qualification is only part of the story at Mazars; we support all our trainees with a blended approach to training and development including classroom study, 1:1 coaching, and soft skills training.
You will be supported by a mentor and an appraising manager to keep your career and aspirations on track.
Birmingham, Leeds, London, Manchester, Milton Keynes
West Midlands, Yorkshire and the Humber, East Midlands, Greater London, North West