AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organisations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital.
A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine.
AECOM's nationwide Ecology team is expanding and we’re looking to recruit a Graduate Aquatic Ecologist to help us develop innovative solutions in a working environment that’s collaborative, stimulating and demanding.
To be successful in this role you’ll need to be ambitious team player with a strong aptitude for client care and project delivery. We’re looking for someone who is self-reliant, thrives on challenges and is happy to work closely with colleagues in other disciplines.
You’ll be supporting the delivery of consultancy and advisory services - to a high level of technical quality, to programme, and to budget. You will operate ethically and with integrity, while prioritising safety and security in all that you do.
Ecology is part of AECOM’s Environment business which provides environmental management services for feasibility, impact analysis and operational compliance as well as remediation, restoration and re-use of impacted property.
- Organising and undertaking benthic macroinvertebrate surveys in freshwaters
- Processing aquatic invertebrate samples in the laboratory, analysing to family / species level and estimating abundance
- Assisting with fieldwork and sample collection (potentially macroinvertebrate, phytobenthos, fisheries, water quality etc) for estuarine and freshwater projects
- Assisting with data analysis and processing (potentially macroinvertebrate, phytobenthos, fisheries, water quality etc) for estuarine and freshwater projects
- Contributing to desk studies and literature reviews
- Contributing to survey reports and ecological appraisals which are produced to a hightechnical standard and within agreed deadlines
- Assisting in the production of Environmental Impact Assessment documents in line with CIEEM guidelines
- Liaising with project managers and clients
- Undertaking other tasks to support the wider environmental business
- Qualified to degree level in a relevant subject with previous experience in an aquatic ecology role
- Higher degree in Aquatic Ecology or related discipline would be an advantage, as would previous commercial and / or regulatory experience
- Freshwater and Taxonomic experience
- Member of CIEEM, IFM, CIWEM or similar professional body or eligible to qualify for this status
- Water Safety Training
- First Aid qualification
- Licensed to drive a vehicle in the UK
Specific Skills Required:
- Supporting the delivery of existing and new contracts for the collection and analysis of freshwater macroinvertebrate samples and other aquatic surveys, including fish, crayfish, macrophytes, riparian mammals, River Habitat Survey etc
- Opportunities to assist with a wider range of terrestrial ecology surveys
- Working as part of a network of AECOM ecologists across the UK and Ireland
- Communicating effectively with your line manager, project managers, clients, project teams and other members of the ecology team, within projects and with clients by telephone, email, letters and reports
- Compliance with internal business management procedures, including in relation to health and safety and technical quality of all advice and outputs
- Building and maintaining both internal and external client relationships, including providing urgent ecological response and / or advice face to face, by phone or email
- Collaborating with colleagues in the Environment & Ground Engineering and Power & Energy groups on multi-disciplinary projects
- Assisting with other administrative duties which add value to the management and development of the ecology team
- Strong behavioral competencies with respect to client care, collaborative working, personal responsibility, decision-making, and teamwork
- The successful candidate will be expected to live locally or relocate close to the office.
Our Graduate Development Programme (GDP) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our GDP forms a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have more than 750 graduates on our programmes across the UK and Ireland from more than 40 different disciplines, each making a tangible difference to the environment in which we live and work.
We’ll provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including Chartership with the relevant international professional institution (we have graduates working towards more than 30 professional institutions in the UK and Ireland). We’ll push you to achieve the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time.
You will be assigned a mentor to support and guide your development, and you will take regular training modules throughout the programme. There’ll be on-the-job technical development and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects with significant multidisciplinary exposure.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!