AECOM’s Environment business line's 4,400 talented environmental professionals provide environmental solutions for private and public clients around the world. We offer environmental management services that meet client needs for feasibility, impact analysis, and operational compliance as well as remediation, restoration and reuse of impacted property.
At AECOM our team of EIA/ESIA specialists deliver a range of exciting and varied projects across the UK, Europe, the Middle East and Africa region (EMEA). We work in multi-disciplinary teams delivering solutions to a wide range of client sectors. Projects range from large scale energy generation and transmission, commercial and residential (brownfield and greenfield) schemes, high profile transport infrastructure and industrial facilities, to onshore and offshore oil and gas, renewables, and other marine and coastal projects.
This graduate level position will require you to work on a range of projects, and to be accountable for undertaking several tasks simultaneously. You will need an awareness of EIA/ESIA as a technical specialism and have a knowledge of EIA and other environmental legislation and current policy, guidance and best practice.
The role will involve elements of research and analysis and will require you to undertake desk studies and site visits. You will need to be able to develop ideas and solutions to deliver effective environmental outcomes and improved project performance. The role will require excellent team working and communication skills, self-motivation and enthusiasm, the ability to work to deadlines and manage budgets, and an understanding of project management tools including programmes and risk assessments.
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital.
When a graduate starts with AECOM, we pair them with a senior member of the team who will guide and mentor them through their initial period working on live projects and business development proposals. Their initial role will be to support and assist the completion of design and assessment tasks.
Responsibilities will include:
- To support Project Managers/Project Directors in the delivery of EIA projects.
- Production of EIA programmes, briefing notes and other AECOM project management tools.
- To analyse data effectively and carry out desk-based studies and site visits when required.
- To assist in the delivery of project documents including Scoping Reports, Environmental Statements (ESs) and related technical studies to the highest standard in accordance with project timescales.
- Production and editing of ES Chapters and Non-Technical Summaries.
- To interact with the team and Project Managers/Project Directors to ensure the smooth running of projects.
- To participate in team meetings, client briefs and other meetings as and when required.
- To prioritise project actions and meet commitments on an on-going basis while taking ownership and responsibility for the quality and completion of work.
- To assist the Project Manager/Project Director in the coordination and management of sub consultants and multi-disciplinary teams.
- To research technical issues as part of the EIA process and to provide ideas and potential solutions to the EIA team to improve project performance.
- To understand and implement project management principles and appreciate the need to work within project budgets.
- To understand and implement the AECOM Integrated Management System.
- To keep up to date with relevant environmental legislation/policy/guidance.
- To ensure health and safety issues are addressed throughout a project.
- To provide input to business development proposals (expression of interest and tender responses) and to continuously improve our service offering for our clients.
This is a fantastic opportunity to establish and further your career, gaining valuable work experience, within the largest Environmental consultancy in the UK and Ireland working on some of the most challenging and high-profile projects our clients are developing.
The ideal candidate will have achieved (or be about to achieve) a Master’s in one of the following areas: environmental science (not studies), environmental impact assessment, environmental geography, environmental law, planning, management, policy, monitoring and assessment. In some instances, a sustainable development qualification may be considered.
- Awareness in EIA as a technical specialism, including knowledge of EIA regulations and current best practice guidance, ideally with a focus towards infrastructure projects and urban regeneration.
- Knowledge and application of Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) skills map at Affiliate, Graduate or Associate level.
- Awareness of wider UK planning and environmental regulations.
- Awareness of project management principles and project finances.
- Enthusiastic, hard-working, with ambition and drive
- Excellent research and report writing skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team, collaborating with colleagues, client and stakeholders as appropriate.
- Ability to work flexibly under pressure, responding to changing project and programme demands.
- Strong numeracy
- Ability to communicate effectively to internal and external clients, both verbally & in writing with the confidence to engage with a variety of people (clients, colleagues, stakeholders and sub-contractors alike) and the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss technical issues and capture feedback
- Good Microsoft Office skills essential such as Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- Strong organisational skills and attention to detail. Ability to structure & prioritise work effectively through close cooperation with the team as a whole
- Full Clean Driving licence beneficial for site work with equipment
- Basic experience of EIA and other impact assessment techniques would be advantageous.
- Previous experience of working in a consultancy environment would be beneficial, including work placements or relevant voluntary experience.
- Awareness of Geographic Information System (GIS) skills would be advantageous.
Qualifications: Affiliate, Graduate or Associate membership of Institute for Environmental Management & Assessment (IEMA), Institute of Environmental Science (IES) or an equivalent professional organisation would be beneficial.
Our Graduate Development Programme (ADVANCE), along with our huge scope of projects across the globe, will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our programmes form a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have over 1,000 graduates on our programmes across the UK & Europe, from over 30 different disciplines, and each and every one of them makes a tangible difference to the environment we all live and work in.
We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including chartership with the relevant international professional institution – where we have graduates working towards over 30 professional institutions in the UK. We demand the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support and guide your development and undertake regular training modules throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects with significant multi-disciplinary exposure. Professional institute qualifications you may be able to work towards include the Institute for Environmental Management & Assessment (IEMA) and Institute of Environmental Science (IES).
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!