AECOM has one of the largest acoustics practices in the world with offices across Europe, Australia, America, Canada, the Middle East and East Asia. Acoustics is part of AECOM’s Environment business which provides environmental management services for feasibility, impact analysis and operational compliance as well as remediation, restoration and re-use of impacted property.
Our acoustics specialists advise clients on building, environmental and occupational acoustics, noise mapping, vibration, industrial noise control, audio-visual design and auralisation. This role would include contributing to the acoustic input, data analysis, predictions, and 3D modelling on a range of projects, completing site visits to make acoustic measurements and observations, undertaking primary research and literature searches, supporting senior colleagues in providing technical advice to clients, technical report writing, communication with clients, local authorities and interdisciplinary teams, attending client and design team meetings, contributing to scope and fee proposals and undertaking STEM activities.
We are currently recruiting Graduate Acoustic Consultants to join one of our eight offices where we have a team of over 50 acousticians working on an enviable project portfolio across all market sectors thus providing a wide range of career development opportunities. Our UK team are members of the Association of Noise Consultants and Sponsor of the Institute of Acoustics.
To be successful in this role you’ll need to be self-motivated, enthusiastic, committed and have good communication skills. Within a structured programme of professional development, we’ll give you all the technical training and day-to-day support you need to develop your skills as you quickly take on increased responsibility across a broad variety of project types and sizes.
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organisations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital.
As a graduate within the acoustics team, you will have the opportunity to contribute to a wide range of technical projects, with a wealth of experience from within the team to support you and develop your knowledge and skills. Whilst the precise work will be dependent on current projects, it is likely that your involvement would include:
- Contribute to the acoustic input, data analysis, predictions, and 3D modelling on a range of projects
- Complete site visits to make acoustic measurements and observations
- Undertake primary research and literature searches
- Support senior colleagues in providing technical advice to clients
- Technical report writing
- Communication with clients, local authorities and interdisciplinary teams
- Attend client and design team meetings
- Contribute to scope and fee proposals
- Undertake STEM activities
Recent and current clients include: High Speed 2; Rolls-Royce; DEFRA; Nestlé; and Shell. Examples of recent projects: providing advice to Defra on noise and nuisance; building acoustics for the Battersea Power Station redevelopment; acoustic design of BBC studios; and design and monitoring for the Thames Tideway Tunnel.
- BSc/MSc degree in Acoustics, Acoustical Engineering, Sound Engineering and Production (Physics or Mechanical Engineering if an interest/experience in Acoustics). Degree classification of 2:1 or above (or equivalent) is preferred
- Committed to becoming a corporate member of the Institute of Acoustics and ultimately a Chartered Acoustician
- Good Microsoft Office skills essential such as Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- A full driving licence would be beneficial as the role will involve travel for site surveys
- Willingness to travel and occasionally work out of normal office hours
- Strong numeracy
- Ability to structure & prioritise work effectively through close cooperation with the team as a whole
- Ability to communicate effectively to internal and external clients, both verbally & in writing with the confidence to engage with a variety of people (clients, colleagues, stakeholders and sub-contractors alike) and the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss technical issues and capture feedback
- Self-motivation, enthusiasm, hard-working, with ambition and drive
- Excellent research and report writing skills
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to work as part of a team, collaborating with colleagues, client and stakeholders as appropriate and independently without losing initiative & focus
- Ability to work flexibly under pressure, responding to changing project and programme demands
- Work experience in the acoustics field would be an advantage
Our Graduate Development Programme (ADVANCE) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our GDP forms a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have more than 750 graduates on our programmes across the UK and Ireland from more than 40 different disciplines, each making a tangible difference to the environment in which we live and work.
We shall provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including Chartership with the relevant international professional institution (we have graduates working towards more than 30 professional institutions in the UK and Ireland). We shall push you to achieve the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support and guide your development, and you will take regular training modules throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job technical development and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects with significant multi-disciplinary exposure.
The professional institute you will work towards is the Institute of Acoustics.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!