Our design discipline provides a key lead, design focused, function within AECOM’s Buildings and Places business. The discipline includes architects and architectural technologists, interior designers, landscape architects and urban designers. It leads multi-disciplinary project work and focuses on the design of innovative projects worldwide, which incorporate systems and processes at the cutting edge of emergent technologies.
Our team operates in the Healthcare, Leisure, Commercial Interiors, Education, Residential Local Government and Data Centre sectors. The Practice is proud of its high-quality work, is fully BIM enabled and produces high quality visualizations.
Forward workload is very buoyant and growing with several large frameworks and projects recently won. The Practice is therefore recruiting exceptional and ambitious P1 Graduate Architectural Assistants to join its team.
Examples of the types of projects the team are involved in include:
- HMRC India Buildings, Liverpool – 2019 -Technical Advisor for the CAT A & CATB refurbishment of this 10 storey Grade 2 listed building in the heart of Liverpool, to provide office accommodation for the HMRC. Supported at ground floor level by retail spaces, along the grand arcade and a public hub within the Regency suite the development focuses on the government’s aspirations for inclusive design and the provision of high-quality office and public presentation spaces. Attending monthly site meetings and quality inspections, as well as working with the HMRC, Heritage Planner and contractors to ensure all parties are working together in both respecting the original building whilst also satisfying the HMRC requirements.
- HMRC Birmingham – 2019 - Technical Advisor for the CAT A on site monitoring and CAT B fit out of this 12 storey New Build office development for the HMRC.
- HMP Long Lartin, Night San - On behalf of the MoJ, Optioneering study to review the options for replacement of the existing system or reconfiguration of the House block accommodation to incorporate in cell sanitation. Involving site inspections and check dimension surveys, GA layout proposals and builders’ scope of work to inform outline costings.
- Multiple Residential Refurbishment and expansion projects - On behalf of the NPS, we are looking the develop RIBA Stage 3 multidiscipline design proposals for the expansion and conversion of existing housing stock to become Inclusive facilities and increase capacity. The work involves the undertaking of visual dilapidation surveys, drafting of existing and proposed GA information in REVIT, the generation of risk registers and an end of stage report.
- Car Manufacturing Facility - Concept design proposals for a car manufacturing plant in Singapore including staff and office accommodation, in addition to the main manufacturing plant and paint shop. We are working with the client to refine the brief to link the design with the available budget and land availability. Developing 3D design proposals and visuals.
- Multiple Projects for Manchester Airport Group - We are currently involved in a range of projects for the Manchester Airport Group including a new multi-storey Car park, landside-airside gatehouses, baggage scanning accommodation, a shuttle bus driver rest facility and refurbishment of the existing T3 toilet accommodation.
- UPS – Airside Logistics Hub, East midlands Airport - Currently on site, this project has required us to undertake the technical design for the facility and be involved in the on-site monitoring, site meetings as well as reviewing the other discipline and manufacturers proposals and responding to on site queries.
- Network Rail York Holgate - Roof refurbishment and drainage improvements works, looking at the technical construction of the existing facility and compiling details and phasing proposal for the roof refurbishment.
All Interested candidates must provide PDF versions of their current work portfolio with their application.
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital.
As a Graduate Architectural Assistant, you will work with senior members of our teams on a range of projects at all stages of the design and construction process. From day one, you will be involved in some important and challenging projects. Every day will be different, and you will be required to use your skills and knowledge to help solve problems and provide input into our projects. You will work in a team to provide technical solutions, and your day could involve anything from helping to produce designs, specifications and calculations, to assisting in technical reports, travelling to construction sites or attending client meetings.
- Assisting in the preparation of conceptual design work and the presentation of projects.
- Supporting the design development of project proposals and feasibility studies.
- Supporting the technical delivery and implementation of projects including preparing working drawings and specifications.
- BSc, BA, B.Arch. or equivalent graduate architectural qualification. Minimum 2:1 or equivalent
- Good spatial and technical ability with good analytical and organizational skills.
- Good hand drawing and computer graphic skills.
- Sound knowledge of AutoCAD, Adobe and the MS suite of programmes
- Good Microsoft Office skills essential such as Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- Ability to communicate effectively to internal and external clients, both verbally & in writing with the confidence to engage with a variety of people (clients, colleagues, stakeholders and subcontractors alike) and the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss technical issues and capture feedback
- Enthusiastic, hard-working, with ambition and drive
- Ability to structure & prioritise work effectively through close cooperation with the team as a whole
- Ability to work in a team and independently without losing initiative & focus.
- Knowledge of Autodesk Revit and In-Design.
- Good 3D computer skills will be an advantage.
- Interest in all aspects of architecture and construction technology from concept to detail design.
- Ambitious, energetic and hard-working. Highly motivated with good communication skills.
- Previous work experience in an architectural practice
- Full driving licence
Our Graduate Development Programme (ADVANCE) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in.
Our GDP forms a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future.
We’ll provide you with all the tools and support you need to work towards your professional development ambitions. We’ll push you to achieve the highest standards.
You will be assigned a line manager to support and guide your development. There’ll be on-the-job technical development and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects with significant multi-disciplinary exposure.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!