AECOM operates to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital.
The AECOM Nuclear Engineering Team at Warrington provide multi-disciplinary consultancy to the nuclear industry, Ministry of Defence and other such security classified clients. Providing consultancy services to the nuclear new build, decommissioning sectors, MoD facilities, ITER and the DIO. Our Warrington office support and provide many different consultancy services to many different diverse clients including:
- Defence sector providing multi-disciplinary new build support to various clients
- MoD supporting the Nuclear Submarine fleet providing new facilities around the UK
- Defence Infrastructure Organisation (DIO)
- Army and RAF Infrastructure (worldwide)
- Embassy and associated worldwide assets
- Nuclear new build sector where we are providing engineering support to the developers of the UK’s fleet of new nuclear power stations
- Decommissioning Sector, which requires considerable new build to enable decommissioning, where AECOM provides support to the entire Nuclear Estate.
An example project for a confidential client was to design and build a completely new facility, including all site surveys, infrastructure planning, equipment integration from concept design to completed building with a very short time from design to build. The project utilised modular technology built to our designs and integrated together to give an extremely flexible and fast solution to our client.
The project challenged the Nuclear Industry’s traditional approach to building & infrastructure design, installation and commissioning, reducing the onsite labour intensive work, and moving the risk to offsite build and commissioning. Utilising the latest in CAD & BIM technology we brought all the disciplines together seamlessly, ensuring all the designs of each discipline work harmoniously.
Working within the Electrical, Control & Instrumentation Department you will be assigned as a resource to a project where you will be responsible for delivery of EC&I design & engineering for that project working with Senior Engineers and technicians as required to complete the tasks set. You are expected to be able to work on your own and as part of a team leasing with the team including engineers of different disciplines, to ensure a complete and unified design. Training will be given to you by the senior design team and internal AECOM university, but examples of the documentation you will be producing and general responsibilities include:
- Basis of design
- Function Specifications such as lighting including emergency lighting, power and Distribution systems, and control and Instrumentation
- Design and drafting AutoCAD drawings and REVIT BIM packages
- Design and implementation of safety systems
- Compiling design substantiation
- Checking the work of other engineers & designers
- Develop an understanding of highly regulated industries
- Develop an understanding of Safety Cases and the supporting documentation
- Develop an understanding of risk and the preparation of designers risk assessments
- Liaison with project team and in particular with technicians that translate working designs into 3D models and AutoCAD drawings
- Under supervision complete site surveys
- BEng in Electrical Engineering 2:1 (or equivalent) at an accredited university
- Able to meet the requirements for Security Check (SC) security clearance in the UK
- Preferably a final year project or modules related to electrical systems or control systems
- Enthusiastic, hard-working, technically proficient, with ambition and drive
- Basic computer skills essential (Word/Excel)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Preferably a full UK driving license or equivalent that permits driving in the UK
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!