The AECOM Nuclear Team, provide multi-disciplinary consultancy to the nuclear industry in both the nuclear new build and decommissioning sectors. In the new build sector we are providing engineering support to the Developers of the UK’s fleet of new nuclear power stations. In the Decommissioning Sector, which requires considerable new build to enable decommissioning, AECOM provides support to the entire Nuclear Estate, including:
- Multidisciplinary design support to Civil Nuclear projects.
- Multidisciplinary design support to Defense projects.
- Design and development of waste storage and disposal facilities.
- Project Management and Supervision.
- Technical governance and Intelligent Customer (IC) roles.
The Modular Intermediate Level Waste Encapsulation Plant formally known as MILWEP forms a major part of Magnox’s waste management strategy to safely and cost-effectively treat their legacy intermediate level waste by processing and packaging the low level nuclear waste into 3m3 Boxes. This process will be carried out in a MILWEP facility constructed at the three separate nuclear reactor sites located across the UK.
AECOM provided a multi-discipline design team of EC&I, Process, Architectural, Civil and Structural, Process, HVAC and Building Services Engineers to deliver a design solution. The modular plant design solutions are intended to be used at a number of Magnox nuclear reactor facilities. For the concept design phase, a generic plant solution was developed which encompassed all of the key requirements, features and modules for a plant. For detailed design, this solution was then tailored to each of the three sites to accommodate their individual characteristics.
Graduates commencing their careers with the AECOM are engaged into teams and paired with an experienced engineer who will guide and mentor them through the initial stages of their career whilst working on live projects. Key responsibilities will include:
- Preparation of designs deliverables using CAD and BIM software tools.
- Preparation of design documentation; basis of design, design method statements and specifications.
- Develop an understanding of highly regulated industries.
- Develop an understanding of Safety Cases and the supporting documentation.
- Develop an understanding of risk and the preparation of designer’s risk assessments.
- Liaison with project team and in particular with technicians that translate working designs into construction drawings.
- Under supervision complete site surveys.
- BEng or MEng in Electrical and Electronic Engineering 2:1 (or equivalent) at an accredited university.
- Able to meet the requirements for Baseline security clearance in the UK.
- Preferably a final year project or modules related to EC&I.
- Ability to demonstrate a good technical understanding of EC&I Engineering.
- Demonstrable interest in Nuclear Engineering and developing a career in this industry.
- Willing and able to work towards chartership with the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET).
- Good Microsoft Office skills essential such as Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- Ability to communicate effectively to internal and external clients, both verbally & in writing with the confidence to engage with a variety of people (clients, colleagues, stakeholders and sub-contractors alike) and the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss technical issues and capture feedback
- Enthusiastic, hard-working, with ambition and drive
- Ability to prioritise work effectively through close cooperation with the team as a whole
- Ability to work in a team and independently without losing initiative & focus.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!