We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Graduate Geomorphologist.
At AECOM, our geomorphologists/ hydromorphologists, within the Water Environment team, work for clients from across the public and private sectors, including the Environment Agency, Local Authorities, Highways England, Natural England, Water Utilities, Rivers and Wildlife Trusts as well as commercial developers and overseas clients.
The Team is also involved in major ongoing projects such as HS2 and the Thames Tideway Tunnel and as a team as a whole are responsible for coordinating/ leading water environment chapters in Environmental Statements as well as carrying out Water Framework Directive (WFD) assessments.
At AECOM our multidisciplinary water environment team includes specialists in hydrogeology, hydrology, hydromorphology, water quality and water resource management. Together, we work for a wide range of clients and projects including water companies, onshore oil and gas companies, private companies such as bottled water suppliers, and quarry operators. We are also involved in major ongoing projects such as Thames Tideway Tunnel and HS2 where the groundwater team provides specialist support.
All members of our specialist groundwater resource team take an active role in client contact and commercial aspects of our projects. Health, safety and environmental considerations underpin everything that we do.
We are part of AECOM’s Environment business, which delivers environmental management services for feasibility, impact analysis and operational compliance as well as remediation, restoration and reuse of impacted property.
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organisations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital.
As a geomorphologist you will build on your understanding and experience of fluvial geomorphology to date.
For numerous many river management problems, the geomorphologist needs to have:
a) A good understanding of the processes of sediment transport and channel adjustment and how these are modified by changes in catchment processes or modification to the channel and;
b) Good field experience of interpreting river and floodplain geomorphology.
The types of skills we develop and utilise within this geomorphology role include:
- Fluvial Audit, including assessment of catchment characteristics, watercourse typology classification, sediment transport and flow regime identification and morphological pressure identification
- Feasibility studies for channel enhancement and restoration
- Channel diversion / realignment / restoration design
- Natural Flood Management mapping and design
- Hydraulic modelling for geomorphological and ecological function, including low flows
- Geographic Information Systems (GIS) for migration assessments, LiDAR analysis and mapping of historic channel modification / movement
- In addition, there are opportunities to learn about coastal and slope geomorphology.
- Minimum 2.1 BSc Geography or Environmental Science degree with Geomorphology Component – a water related discipline is preferred
- Ability to conceptualise hydrogeological issues
- Self-motivation, enthusiasm, hard working with ambition and drive
- Excellent research skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team, collaborating with colleagues, client and stakeholders as appropriate and independently without losing initiative & focus.
- Ability to work flexibly under pressure, responding to changing project and programme demands.
- Strong numeracy,
- Ability to communicate effectively to internal and external clients, both verbally & in writing with the confidence to engage with a variety of people (clients, colleagues, stakeholders and sub-contractors alike) and the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss technical issues and capture feedback
- Good Microsoft Office skills essential such as Word, Excel & PowerpPoint
- Ability to structure & prioritise work effectively through close cooperation with the team as a whole
- Strong attention to detail.
- Previous site experience or of working in a consultancy environment would be beneficial, including work placements or relevant voluntary experience.
- Language skills
- Experience with office software, databases, GIS and modelling software
- A full driving licence would be beneficial as the role will involve travel for site surveys
Our Graduate Development Programme (ADVANCE) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our GDP forms a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have more than 750 graduates on our programmes across the UK and Ireland from more than 40 different disciplines, each making a tangible difference to the environment in which we live and work.
We’ll provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including Chartership with the relevant international professional institution (we have graduates working towards more than 30 professional institutions in the UK and Ireland). We’ll push you to achieve the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support and guide your development, and you will take regular training modules throughout the programme.
Professional Institutes you may work towards include the Royal Geographical Society/ British Society for Geomorphology - Chartered Geographer (Geomorphology); Chartered Institute for Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM) – Chartered Water and Environmental Scientist
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!