AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine at AECOM.
Our Ground Engineering UK&I team comprises 200 staff and provides services ranging from project management, feasibility studies, detailed design, contract administration and construction supervision for geotechnical works in UK&I and overseas. We support internal and external clients on a wide variety of projects, but predominantly in road, rail, airports, ports and harbours, flood alleviation, nuclear power and waste management, commercial and industrial developments, landslip investigation and remediation.
We work for leading UK clients including Highways England, Network Rail, Homes England, Local Authorities, as well as for leading contractors and developers and for overseas clients. We have an impressive portfolio of regional and national projects including Thames Tideway, Lower Thames Crossing ground investigations, HS2, Mersey Gateway, Hinkley C nuclear power station, M6 21a to 26 Smart motorway, A303 Stonehenge road improvement.
Geotechnical and Engineering Geology graduates at AECOM will work on a range of projects, involving work such as:
- Desk studies, site inspections, rockface surveys and geomorphological mapping
- Contribute to the planning and procurement of ground investigations
- Supervise ground investigation fieldwork
- Geological interpretation and preparation of interpretative reports
- Analysis of geotechnical data, preparation of ground models, design and reporting on foundations, retaining walls, soil slope stability, earthworks, rock slope stabilisation
- AECOM has a range of 2D and 3D numerical analysis software, candidates with an interest in this area will have the opportunity to develop modelling skills.
- A degree in Civil Engineering or Engineering Geology, with a 2:1 classification (or equivalent) or above
- An MSc/MEng in Soil Mechanics, Geotechnical Engineering, or Engineering Geology would be an advantage (essential for candidates holding a BSc in Geology).
- Competent in the use of Microsoft Office is essential, and competent use of ACAD/ Civil 3D software is desirable.
- Candidates with Geotechnical work experience would be preferred although this is not essential.
- Willing and able to work towards professional qualifications (ICE, IOM3 or The Geological Society).
- Demonstrable interest in geotechnical projects and in promoting geotechnical activities with our internal clients.
- Flexible and willing to work away from home on sites and occasionally in other offices.
- Capability to satisfy client and business expectations and be able to consider the wider financial and commercial implications of their actions.
- Communicate effectively to internal and external clients, both verbally & in writing.
- Structure & prioritise work effectively through close cooperation with the team as a whole.
- Ability to work independently without losing initiative & focus.
Our Graduate Development Programme (GDP) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our GDP forms a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have over 750 graduates on our programmes across the UK & Ireland, from over 40 different disciplines, each and every one of them making a tangible difference to the environment we all live & work in.
We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including Chartership with the relevant international professional institution – where we have graduates working towards over 30 professional institutions in the UK & Ireland. We will push you to achieve the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support & guide your development, and undertake regular training modules throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job technical development and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects, with significant multi-disciplinary exposure.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!