AECOM operates to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. As aFortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine.
The AECOM Nuclear Structures Team, provide multi-disciplinary consultancy to the nuclear industry in both the nuclear new build and decommissioning sectors. In the new build sector we are providing engineering support to the Developers of the UK’s fleet of new nuclear power stations. In the Decommissioning Sector, which requires considerable new build to enable decommissioning, AECOM
provides support to the entire Nuclear Estate, including:
- Multidisciplinary design support at Sellafield
- Early stage development of the Deep Geological Repository
- Design and development of waste storage and disposal facilities
- Multidisciplinary design support to defence projects.
An example project is Sellafield Pile 1 Diffuser Demolition. The project scope was to demolish the Diffuser, a 1450 tonne Reinforced Concrete box section, at the top of the 110m high ventilation stack, located in the heart of a congested nuclear facility. AECOM played a significant role as the Lead Designer responsible for developing a safe demolition strategy for this contaminated structure, demonstrating stability at all stages and designing the associated civil and structural works, mechanical, electrical and process engineering, including the design of the 150m high tower crane, the tallest ever on the Sellafield site. The project challenged the Nuclear Industry’s traditional approach for labour intensive, low risk means of demolition, making use of the tower crane to cut and lift large blocks, arguing that the short term increase in risk would lead to a quicker permanent decrease. This unique demolition is currently on-going, and will be a very visible demonstration of the work being done to make Sellafield a safer place.
Graduates commencing their careers with the AECOM are engaged into teams and paired with an
experienced engineer who will guide and mentor them through the initial stages of their career whilst
working on live projects. Typically these include:
- Preparation of Structural element design in a variety of materials, mainly steel and concrete
- Structural analysis
- Preparation of design documentation; basis of design, design method statements, specifications
- Develop an understanding of highly regulated industries
- Develop an understanding of Safety Cases and the supporting documentation
- Develop an understanding of risk and the preparation of designers risk assessments
- Liaison with project team and in particular with technicians that translate working designs into construction drawings
- Under supervision complete site surveys
- MEng in Civil or Structural Engineering 2:1 (or equivalent ) at an accredited university
- Able to meet the requirements for security clearance in the UK
- Preferably a final year project or modules related to structures and/or nuclear structures
- Enthusiastic, hard-working, technically proficient, with ambition and drive
- Basic computer skills essential (Word/Excel)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Preferably Full UK driving license or equivalent that permits driving in the UK
Our Graduate Development Programme (GDP) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our GDP forms a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have over 750 graduates on our programmes across the UK & Ireland, from over 40 different disciplines, each and every one of them making a tangible difference to the environment we all live & work in.
We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including Chartership with the relevant international professional institution – where we have graduates working towards over 30 professional institutions in the UK & Ireland. We will push you to achieve the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support & guide your development, and undertake regular training modules throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job technical development and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects, with significant multi-disciplinary exposure.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!