AECOM offer a comprehensive tunneling consultancy service to clients seeking cost effective, buildable state of the art tunnel projects. The AECOM team has proven global design experience covering a wide range of tunnels in varying and challenging geological conditions. Our collaborative team has successfully delivered sustainable projects in today’s congested cities.
Our current portfolio of projects are wide ranging. These include: High Speed Rail between Birmingham and the north of England; Heathrow Terminal 2; A303 Stonehenge Tunnel; Thames Tideway Sewer; Jeddah Storm Water Sewers; and, Hinkley Point C Power Station.
An example project is HS2 Phase 2b Lot2, High Speed 2 Limited. AECOM are currently providing design services to HS2 as part of the ACI joint venture, to support Hybrid Bill stage design for HS2 Phase 2b Lot 2. This area covers the route between Birmingham and Sheffield. The AECOM tunnelling team are contributing to route development and outline design by considering bored, mined and cut and cover tunnelling options for the railway. Our scope of work includes review of alignment and construction options and sifting multiple options against engineering, environmental and engagement criteria. The resulting designs are then developed to outline design level, allowing suitable plans, construction cost estimates and environmental statements to be prepared to support the hybrid bill submission to parliament. Tunnelling engineers work as part of a large multidisciplinary and international team to deliver this high profile project.
Tunnelling engineering graduates at AECOM will work on a range of projects including:
- Work within a wide range of sectors offering a challenging and varied workload, including: Water transfer tunnels; Highway tunnels; High Speed, Standard & light rail; Mining; Airport infrastructure; Onshore & offshore tunnels; Power tunnels
- Application of civil, structural and geotechnical knowledge gained throughout your degree
- Feasibility studies & optioneering, through preliminary and detailed design; in particular the importance of understanding how designs can be constructed safely
- Tunnel, shaft and cavern designs in hard & soft ground using a variety of construction methods
- Identifying and resolving complex engineering problems using finite element software backed up by solid empirical methods
- In time you will be required to lead small projects or elements of larger projects and provide support and advice to other members of the team
- Identifying opportunities to expand the existing business through client managers to build a broad and influential network through effective communication.
- A degree in Civil or Civil & Structural Engineering with a 2:2 classification or above (or equivalent)
- Willing and able to work towards a professional qualification (ICE or IStructE)
- Demonstrable interest in tunnelling projects and promoting the tunnelling activities in the transport and utility sectors
- Capability to satisfy client and business expectations and be able to consider the wider financial and commercial implications of their actions
- Communicate effectively to internal and external clients, both verbally & in writing
- Structure & prioritise work effectively through close cooperation with the team as a whole
- Ability to work independently without losing initiative & focus
- An MSc/MEng in Soil Mechanics/Geotechnical/Tunnelling Engineering would be an advantage
- Any existing construction experience achieved through the degree would also prove advantageous
What We Offer
When you join AECOM, you become part of a company that is pioneering the future. Our teams around the world are involved in some of the most cutting-edge and innovative projects and programs of our time, addressing the big challenges of today and shaping the built environment for generations to come. We ensure a workplace that encourages growth, flexibility and creativity, as well as a company culture that champions inclusion, diversity and overall employee well-being through programs supported by company leadership. Our core values define who we are, how we act and what we aspire to, which comes down to not only delivering a better world, but working to “make amazing happen” in each neighborhood, community and city we touch. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we believe in each person’s potential, and we’ll help you reach yours.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!