AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. A Fortune 500 firm, see how we deliver what others can only imagine at AECOM.
We currently have an exciting opportunity for a flexible, talented, creative and passionate Urban Designer to work on medium and large scale strategic, residential and mixed-use development masterplans. We provide excellent professional development and career opportunities so the ideal candidate will be looking to further their experience and skills base in a practical workplace environment.
The successful candidate will be design orientated and will have excellent technical skills and a strong team capability. As a Graduate Urban Designer, with a relevant urban design qualification, you will join our established team to support senior urban design and planning staff in the production of masterplans, urban design guidance, planning strategies, design and access statements, capacity studies and other outputs in relation to strategic planning and urban design commissions for public and private sector clients.
The successful candidate will have knowledge of residential, mixed-use and regeneration master planning in a UK context. The urban design team works closely with planning colleagues, so a good appreciation of the UK planning system and policy framework as well as the current planning agenda and key issues would be an advantage. With a strong appreciation of the links between people, place, the environment and the economy, the role will often work alongside multi-disciplinary planning and technical teams on interesting assignments of all sizes, from neighbourhood plans, through large-scale residential led master planning to regional and national strategies.
Joining AECOM will provide you with opportunities for career progression within a positive culture where learning and development is actively supported and promoted. You will have the opportunity to work towards taking more responsibility on your projects, assist in helping the career progression of more junior staff and contribute to the future growth and success of the team. Work portfolios are managed to ensure that all staff experience a breadth and depth of project opportunities.
Examples of projects the Urban Design team are involved in include:
Northern Arc OPA, Burgess Hill, West Sussex - AECOM was appointed to support Homes England on this flagship scheme with the full range of multi-disciplinary services led by Master planning and Town Planning teams. AECOM prepared a Site Wide Masterplan and Infrastructure Delivery Plan for a new community of c.3,000 new homes, employment space, new schools, parks and open spaces and supporting facilities.
Conceptual Masterplan for Castor & Ailsworth, Cambridgeshire - Commissioned by the Homes & Communities Agency (HCA), AECOM has delivered a conceptual masterplan for a 358 Ha strategic site west of Peterborough. This site has the potential to create a new, sustainable community of 5,000 new homes with employment, social and community facilities. AECOM carried out a detailed site analysis to understand the capacity and potential of the site. The work included transport and market advice as well as understanding how to protect the sensitive context of the villages of Castor and Ailsworth
The role will often work alongside multi‐disciplinary design teams in the following ways:
- Develop design solutions and strategies for a range of projects encompassing residential, mixed use, commercial and industrial master planning commissions;
- Developing projects from feasibility through concept and sketch design to the appropriate level of detail, including to outline planning;
- Prepare high quality visualisations from sketch to illustrative and presentation standard,
- Assist in the preparation of feasibility, design, planning and other documentation, as required, including contributing to the preparation of submissions and fee proposals.
- Undergraduate degree in Urban Design or a first degree in Architecture/Landscape Architecture/Planning followed by a postgraduate qualification in Urban Design;
- Good working knowledge of current urban design issues in a UK context;
- Competence in the use of the full range of design packages including AutoCad, the full Adobe Creative Suite, 3D packages including SketchUp, Rhino, etc., and Microsoft Office suite;
- Confidence and competence in drawing and sketching by hand;
- The ability to work in a consultancy environment, with a strong attention to detail, excellent organisational skills, ability to work independently and show initiative and successfully manage time to meet project deadlines;
- The ability to be able to work under close direction from senior colleagues as a key member of a multi-disciplinary team,
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are essential.
Our Graduate Development Programme (GDP) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our GDP forms a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have over 750 graduates on our programmes across the UK & Ireland, from over 40 different disciplines, each and every one of them making a tangible difference to the environment we all live & work in.
We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including Chartership with the relevant international professional institution – where we have graduates working towards over 30 professional institutions in the UK & Ireland. We will push you to achieve the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support & guide your development, and undertake regular training modules throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job technical development and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects, with significant multi-disciplinary exposure.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!