AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital.
Communities around the globe are challenged to find effective ways to manage water throughout the water cycle restoring the water we use to continue sustaining the natural environment. At AECOM, our Water specialists work together worldwide to find innovative solutions to the management of water. We provide technical expertise and solutions for projects across Europe, the Middle East and Africa, in areas such as:
- Flood Management, Integrated Catchment Management, Hydraulic Modelling (River, Stormwater and Clean water), Hydrology, Sustainable Drainage, Water Sensitive Urban Design, GIS, Flood Mapping, WFD, Natural Flood Management, Natural Capital
Our Water Consulting graduates work within multi-disciplinary teams to deliver projects such as the York Flood Alleviation scheme to increase the resilience of the City of York to flooding. Our Water Consulting graduates have undertaken hydraulic modelling, hydrology and flood mapping to inform an assessment of the most cost beneficial options for increasing the standard of flood protection in the city. As a part of this, our water consultants have been involved with economic assessment, option appraisal reporting and writing business cases. The project also involved analysis of natural flood management measures to determine a longer term plan for managing future flood risk using a total catchment approach.
- Working with other team members to undertake technical work such as hydraulic modelling (including river and network modelling), hydrology, and flood risk analysis.
- Producing technical notes and reports to present results and methods used
- Producing mapping for spatial analysis and presentation using GIS software
- Undertaking and writing flood risk assessments including liaising with statutory bodies such as the Environment Agency and Local Planning Authorities
- Working alongside other sectors and offices to deliver projects
- Geography degree or Water related MSc such as Fluvial Geomorphology, Catchment Management/Processes, Water Resources, Hydrology, with a 2:1 classification (or equivalent) or above
- Water related modules would be an advantage
- Relevant work experience would be an advantage
- Enthusiastic, hard-working, technically proficient, with ambition and drive.
- Basic computer skills essential (Word/Excel) and good report writing skills beneficial.
- Willing and able to work towards professional qualifications such as CIWEM
- Demonstrable interest in water projects
- Capability to satisfy client and business expectations and be able to consider the wider financial and commercial implications of their actions.
- Communicate effectively to internal and external clients, both verbally & in writing.
- Structure & prioritise work effectively through close cooperation with the team as a whole.
- Ability to work independently without losing initiative & focus.
Our Graduate Development Programme (GDP) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our GDP forms a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have over 750 graduates on our programmes across the UK & Ireland, from over 40 different disciplines, each and every one of them making a tangible difference to the environment we all live & work in.
We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including Chartership with the relevant international professional institution – where we have graduates working towards over 30 professional institutions in the UK & Ireland. We will push you to achieve the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support & guide your development, and undertake regular training modules throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job technical development and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects, with significant multi-disciplinary exposure.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!