Our Remediation Services team in Belfast is looking for an enthusiastic Environmental Graduate Consultant. At AECOM our Remediation Services Team has one of the largest environmental site investigation and assessment divisions in the UK&I part of a wider organisation with an unprecedented global footprint, serving clients in many sectors including property and development, oil and gas, industrial and manufacturing, major infrastructure/ transportation and the public sector (including local and national regulators).
The team has a well-established network of specialists in the UK&I and around the world which enriches the prospects for graduates, allow the learning of advanced technology applications and contribute to our best practice and strong safety culture.
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organizations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. The Environment business line's 4,400 talented environmental professionals provide environmental solutions for private and public clients around the world. We offer environmental management services that meet client needs for feasibility, impact analysis, and operational compliance as well as remediation, restoration and reuse of impacted property.
When a graduate starts with us, we pair them with an experienced member of the team who will guide and mentor them through their initial period working on live projects.
You work as part of a team who will support you in your learning and development through our mentoring and graduate development programme. Key duties will include designing and undertaking desk studies, site investigations, risk assessments and remediation solutions including laboratory procurement for environmental analysis, data analysis, factual and interpretative report writing. You will coordinate field service/ laboratory subcontractors and fully supervise ground investigation works,
collecting soil and groundwater samples/ data during assessment and remedial action activities at various sites in the UK and overseas. You will learn to compile and interpret field and analytical data into conceptual models to inform risk assessments for human health, ground/ surface water and ground gas/vapour and design mitigation measures/ remediation solutions.
You will be an advocate of best health and safety practice and make sure issues are addressed throughout the life of a project. You will learn how to implement AECOM’s industry leading principles of environmental protection and sustainability (our role within the circular economy) within the context of the Remediation Services business.
MSc preferred but not essential.
A degree in Environmental Engineering, Engineering Geology, Applied Geology , Exploration Geology, Environmental Geology, Physical Geography, Geo-sciences, Hydrology, Civil and Environmental Engineering, Process Engineering (to include modules on land contamination), Environmental Management, Environmental Science, Mineral Resources, Environmental Chemistry, Land Reclamation and Restoration, Environmental Assessment and Control - all must have contaminated land interest.
You will also have the following:
- Practical application of geological and hydro-geological concepts
- Good Microsoft Office skills essential such as Word, Excel & Powerpoint
- You must have an interest in contaminated land
- Willingness and ability to work outdoors in sometimes challenging conditions.
- Willingness and ability to travel
- A full driving licence. or access to reliable transport. would be beneficial as the role will involve travel for site surveys possibly with equipment
- Flexible with working hours and locations, frequent travel within 1 – 2 hrs drive of home office, and occasionally further afield.
- Ability to communicate effectively to internal and external clients, both verbally & in writing with the confidence to engage with a variety of people (clients, colleagues, stakeholders and subcontractors alike) and the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss technical issues and capture feedback
- Willingness and ability to learn and rapidly master new tasks and work under pressure, responding to changing project and programme demands.
- Ability to structure & prioritise work effectively through close cooperation with the team as a whole
- Ability to work in a team and independently without losing initiative & focus.
- Strong research and report writing (including web-based research).
- Strong numerate skills.
- Self-starter, develops and delivers work under own initiative. Enthusiastic, hard-working, with ambition and drive
- Solid attention to detail and thorough approach to work.
- Commercial awareness for business development, marketing, and proposal preparation.
- Field investigation experience.
- Experience collecting groundwater data and samples.
- Understanding of contaminated land assessment.
- Understanding of field sampling and data review.
- Some experience of working in a corporate environment (within or outside of environmental consultancy)
- Fluency in other languages is an advantage.
- Previous experience of working in a consultancy environment would be beneficial, including work placements or relevant voluntary experience.
- Driving licence
Our Graduate Development Programme (ADVANCE), along with our huge scope of projects across the globe, will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our programmes form a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. We have over 1,000 graduates on our programmes across the UK & Europe, from over 30 different disciplines, and each one of them makes a tangible difference to the environment we all live and work in. We will provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including chartership with the relevant international professional institution – where we have graduates working towards over 30 professional institutions in the UK. We demand the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a mentor to support and guide your development and undertake regular training modules throughout the programme. There will be on-the-job and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects with significant multi-disciplinary exposure. Professional Institutes you may work towards include the Chartered Institute for Water and Environmental Management (CIWEM), Geological Society of London (GSL) – to become a Chartered Geologist or Scientist, Institute for Environmental Sciences (IES) - to become a Chartered Environmentalist; Society of Brownfield Risk Assessment (SoBRA) to become an accredited Risk Assessor. For certain roles training may be given via Specialists in Land Condition (SiLC), The Site Management Safety Training Scheme and/or the UKPIA / SPA Petrol Retail Contractors Safety Passport.
Remember to mention TARGETjobs when contacting employers!