Yorkshire and the Humber +2
At AECOM, our team of air quality specialists delivers a range of exciting and varied projects across Europe, the Middle East and Africa. We work in multi-disciplinary teams delivering solutions to a broad base of client sectors including development, energy, oil and gas, water, government and transportation. The team now numbers more than 30 full-time air quality specialists in the UK and more than 500 practitioners worldwide.
This is a fantastic opportunity to kick start your career in air quality by gaining valuable work experience within an established consultancy. The role will involve working closely alongside experienced and senior members of the team assisting with air quality assessments for a variety of projects with developers, local authorities, government and industrial clients. Project involvement may include: Highways England managed motorway air quality assessments; air quality management studies for numerous local authorities; passive and continuous monitoring for the Thames Tideway Tunnel; and the Kuwait Oil Company air compliance management study.
Air Quality is part of AECOM’s Environment business which provides environmental management services for feasibility, impact analysis and operational compliance as well as remediation, restoration and re-use of impacted property.
AECOM is built to deliver a better world. We design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets for governments, businesses and organisations in more than 150 countries. As a fully integrated firm, we connect knowledge and experience across our global network of experts to help clients solve their most complex challenges. From high-performance buildings and infrastructure, to resilient communities and environments, to stable and secure nations, our work is transformative, differentiated and vital. A Fortune 500 firm and awarded 2019 Fortune World’s Most Admired Companies , see how we deliver what others can only imagine on our website.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Air quality monitoring; including site assessment, preparation and maintenance
- Air quality dispersion modelling in combination with GIS
- Data analysis and emissions inventory work
- Air quality input into environmental statements
- Assistance towards the coordination of multi-disciplinary project teams
- Tender and proposal preparation
Ideally an MSc or PhD in Air Quality (Meteorology, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Environmental Engineering and Project Management and Climate Science, Environmental Management with an Air Quality focus)
- Strong numeracy
- Ability to communicate effectively to internal and external clients, both verbally & in writing with the confidence to engage with a variety of people (clients, colleagues, stakeholders and subcontractors alike) and the aptitude to rationally explain, explore and discuss technical issues and capture feedback
- Good Microsoft Office skills essential such as Word, Excel & PowerPoint
- Ability to structure & prioritise work effectively through close cooperation with the team as a whole
- Strong attention to detail
- Self-motivation, enthusiasm, hard working with ambition and drive
- Excellent research and report writing skills.
- Ability to work in a team and independently without losing initiative & focus.
- Ability to work flexibly under pressure, responding to changing project and programme demands.
- Awareness of GIS, modelling or programming skills would be an advantage
- Previous experience of working in a consultancy environment would be beneficial, including work placements or relevant voluntary experience
- A full driving licence
Our Graduate Development Programme (GDP) along with our huge scope of projects across the globe will challenge and inspire you to make a real difference to the world we live in. Our GDP forms a core part of our business strategy globally, designed to develop the best talent across numerous disciplines to lead our business into the future. As a graduate on our Graduate Development Programme (ADVANCE), you will attend residential training modules over the first two years of your time within the company. We have more than 750 graduates on our programmes across the UK and Ireland from more than 40 different disciplines, each making a tangible difference to the environment in which we live and work.
We’ll provide you with all the tools and support you need to achieve your professional development ambitions, including Chartership with the relevant international professional institution (we have graduates working towards more than 30 professional institutions in the UK and Ireland). We’ll push you to achieve the highest standards and expect our graduates to pass their professional review first time. You will be assigned a line manager to support and guide your development, and you will take regular training modules throughout the programme which include regular seminars and conferences focusing on air quality. Many of our offices also host Knowledge Sharing Programmes (KSP) which provide an 3 opportunity to gain a better understanding of the company by way of monthly workshops presented by teams across different business lines. There’ll be on-the-job technical development and classroom training where required, and the opportunity to work on live client projects with significant multidisciplinary exposure.
The professional institute you will work towards is the Institute of Air Quality Management (IAQM).
Basingstoke, Chesterfield, Croydon, Leeds, Nottingham
Yorkshire and the Humber, South East, East Midlands